User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosterling
Wow! The Boo Birds are out on this one. Trucking is like the rest of life. Its what YOU make of it. Im 46 and was forced to make a career change. I drive for a mid size reefer company, but I haul as much dry as I do refrigerated. I just cant see you making 60k in year 1-3. 45 or 55 is do able though. I dont know why everyone is complaining about miles. I get all I want. But Im always on time and do my job professionaly. (see "Its what YOU make of it".) 3 weeks less than 2800 miles in 4 months.
Can you reveal who you drive for :?: ... those miles sound good 8)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosterling
Wow! The Boo Birds are out on this one. Trucking is like the rest of life. Its what YOU make of it. Im 46 and was forced to make a career change. I drive for a mid size reefer company, but I haul as much dry as I do refrigerated. I just cant see you making 60k in year 1-3. 45 or 55 is do able though. I dont know why everyone is complaining about miles. I get all I want. But Im always on time and do my job professionaly. (see "Its what YOU make of it".) 3 weeks less than 2800 miles in 4 months.
Sounds like a chicken hauler running 3 log books and going insane driving all night to make the deleivery no matter how ludicrous. Yea yea yea , we can all work for small refer companies and get all the miles we want too, but why?

Work smarter not harder. That shiney truck and life in the hammer lane killing yourself week in and week out will eventually catch up to you.

BOL.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 PM

Jeff, I retired at a steel mill after 30 years. Many of the welders who worked there have health issues. Most of them have emphysema and one of them is waiting for a lung transplant caused by inhaling welding fumes over the years.
After I retired at age 54, I went to get my CDL. While at truck driving school we had several recruiters visit us enlisting students upon graduating.
I found a truck driving job on my own not far from where I live. I deliver to grocery wharehouses, not the most glorious of trucking jobs but I am home everynight and my job is no longer hot, dirty and dangerous. (I don't mean to imply trucking isn't dangerous, but watching a 30 ton ladle of hot molten steel pass right over your head every 45 minutes for 30 years can scare the crap out of you!)
I don't make the money I am used to making but I retired with a good pension so money isn't a big factor.
I think you are making a good move, especially since you still have your health. I have no regrets doing what I did and I am sure you won't either.
Good luck to you.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Senior Board Member

For TMC info may I direct you to the 247 page, 3600 post TMC thread here at
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...asc&start=3690

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien