User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default where was your most terrifying drive

i can just imagine being in a truck in the mountains in the winter with all of those sudden turns. i can imagine that being terrifying.

hell when i drove my small car around the hoover dam area i was scared to death.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:39 PM

I would not consider this drive terrifying but it kept me on the edge of my seat. I was traveling from Bridgeport,AL and my destination was in West Jefferson,NC.
I decided to take US64/US74 East coming out of Tennessee and entering western NC. This is the Nantahala Natl. Forest and its the Cheoah/Cowee Mtns. Looking at the map I could tell that it was nothing but mountain driving. I thought that it shouldn't be too bad because I was traveling east bound through the mtns. and not north or south.

I entered the Nantahala Forest on 64/74 about 4am (still dark outside and I've never traveled this road before.) This is a snake-like road that is 2 lanes, traveling west and east. There is know room for error on this road.

Your speed limit is about 35mph to 40mph through. That alone through off my time. It took me hrs to get out of what is probaly a hundred or so mile ride to get to I-40.There was a over-hang cliff that hangs into the west bound lane, which is not good for trucks. Also, while coming around this snake like road you cannot see what is coming around the bending road.
They had signs warning drivers to beware of oncoming traffic possibly swerving into your lane because it is very tight.

It is very easy to be side swiped or hit head on from another car/truck. Besides that headache of a ride it did provide some nice scenery. It was a nice view of the mountains and they also had white water rafting.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I think it was us 58 or something like that, going westward in Virginia trying to get over to I81 from the east coast, rand mcnally didn't have it labeled as restricted, and it didn't seem to be all that bad, until I passed a sign that said 60 foot limit, and it turned into a switchback up and then back down this mountain, plus I was fully grossed out, so I couldn't even go faster then 10-15 miles an hour... It was actually fairly warm down at the base of the mountain, and snowing like crazy at the top, ontop of that I had a line of traffic behind me 1/2 mile long, and the occasional car going the opposite direction, and at every hair pin turn my front end would be at one extreme side of the road, and my trailer the other. Let's just say that couple of hours was the worst white knuckling experience for me.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 PM

Yeh, for me, nothing is worse than those small 2 lane backroad mountain driving experiences. The ones where you have to make a 15mph turn around a bend with a 100 foot drop cliff on your right side and no possible way of not getting your trailer in the oncoming traffic lane and angry tourists backed up behind you. I drove a road like that across the top of Arkansas for a good 100 miles once. I'll never use that road again.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member

southbound us95 at the whitebird battlefield grade in idaho. it had the ice and snow mix.

the second most scary was traveling eastbound on us12 out of missoula, mt and heading towards helena to hit northbound i-15. i was going down an 8% grade that had ice all the way down it. i wasn't chained up. there were no chain restrictions going. that one was more crazy than whitebird because i had never been on that one before. i made it down without any issues other than the death grip on the steering wheel and came pretty close to having an anxiety attack. it dissipated once i got to the bottom.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Board Regular

My most terrifying drive was the one to the airport to go to Vegas to get married.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM

Coming down Vail Pass on I-70 west bound a couple month ago.....Roads had been dry,so I was running 50 mph at 45,000 lbs....At MM 187 the snow had blown across the road off a plow pile and iced over a 150 yard stretch.....

A car passed me and got out a 100 yards ahead,when 2 other cars passed me,1 tailgating the other......The front car cut over in front of me about 10 feet in front...The tailgating car got up along side of him....Right then,the car a 100 yards ahead,hit that ice,slammed on the brakes,spun out and crashed up against the snowbank off the shoulder...The 2 retards in front of me,now also on the ice,and still 10 feet in front of me,slam on their brakes and crashed sides together......This all happened in maybe 5 seconds......They drifted off to the right,while I eased over to the left enough to miss them,probably by an inch.....I still can't figure out how I missed those dummies.....

Exactly 1 week before,in that exact spot,there was a 75 car pile up..... :shock:
Old 05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Senior Board Member

A couple of years ago I had a haz-mat load headed west and I thought I would find out what Loveland pass was all about. What a shitty idea that was. I was due to get there while it was still daytime and before it was to snow. Well that worked out like crap. I got held up in Denver for a while and it put me there in the dark and snowing pretty good. It was too late now so I forged ahead. The more I drove the worse it got and if I was to slide off the edge of the road there was nothing stopping me from dropping however many thousands of feet to the bottom of the mountain. I finally made it back to I-70 and was pleased with myself for not dying in the process. So when I think about Loveland Pass, been there, done that, I-80 I-15 here I come. 8) 8)
Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
A couple of years ago I had a haz-mat load headed west and I thought I would find out what Loveland pass was all about. What a shitty idea that was. I was due to get there while it was still daytime and before it was to snow. Well that worked out like crap. I got held up in Denver for a while and it put me there in the dark and snowing pretty good. It was too late now so I forged ahead. The more I drove the worse it got and if I was to slide off the edge of the road there was nothing stopping me from dropping however many thousands of feet to the bottom of the mountain. I finally made it back to I-70 and was pleased with myself for not dying in the process. So when I think about Loveland Pass, been there, done that, I-80 I-15 here I come. 8) 8)
Loveland Pass can be hairy in a 4 wheeler......
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Senior Board Member

US 30 between Ligonier & Altoona PA during a snowstorm with a 5,000lb load.