how hard is it to avoid an accident

Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Rookie
Default how hard is it to avoid an accident

i got respect for the truckers out there having to deal with the idiots on the ride. i drive a small compact car and i have enough problems with people not moving over when i merge and cutting right in front of me. i imagine its 10 times as bad for a trucker.

not to mention the wide turns you have to make and all the headaches associated with that.

reading those threads about the NYC driver and the philly driver were crazy.

my question is have you been in an accident with your truck, or have you ever narrowly escaped an accident?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Leave a LARGE gap between you and any cars infront of you. On wide turns if a car is making it impossible for you too turn, just wait till the next light. Be safe and professional and youll be ok.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Always Maintain 'the gap'

If the crap hits the fan and impact is coming make sure to

stay in your lane.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member

We should have a day, once a year, that we get to "nudge" people like they do in nascar... :lol:

Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM

i have enough problems with people not moving over when i merge
This is a constant problem I've seen with the merging traffic not realizing they have to yield to traffic they're trying to merge with, not getting up to hwy speed while merging or just plain unable to see around the cell phone glued to their left ear. I just stay in my lane and maintain speed if I can't move over for them. Sometimes they'll either slow down and fall in behind me or run into that fast approaching wall. Either way, I'm in the right staying where I am if I have to.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Rookie

we don't avoid accidents, we prevent them.

( i hope!)

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

the problem many drivers have is they don't realize it's their job to find a space, and match the speed of the traffic ALREADY on the highway - it's not the job of the people on the highway to let you in.

That being said, it's a pain to get up to speed with a truck that doesn't speed up as fast as a 4-wheeler, so watching for that opening is much more important - the only time I had a bit of a problem merging on a highway, another trucker slowed down and let me merge nice and smoothly. If I'd had a CB I would've thanked him.

Of all the drivers at my work, I'm the only one who hasn't even had an "almost accident" I've only been working for them for a couple months now - so I'm sure my time will come.

--Dave.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Merging traffic can be a real pain, especially if travel lane traffic is unable to give way to the merge by moving over a lane. There are merge lanes that are exceptionally long giving alot of time for the ramp traffic to make the merge. To many times Ive seen the driver, regardless of ramp length, wait till its to late to look and see where to merge with traffic. (especially the ones who "cant see around their cell phone").
Even though the travel lane traffic should have the right of way, you still have to mind the merging traffic, If you do not avoid a potential accident, possibly by slowing down to allow the merge, but you just keep on a keeping like everything is good. If the merging traffic should collide with you or have an accident by hitting "the wall". You could still be charged with a preventable accident even though you are not a fault.
Always be on the defense...and remember, you never have the right of way, unless the right of way is given to you by the vehicle that doesnt.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: how hard is it to avoid an accident

Originally Posted by tropolis
i got respect for the truckers out there having to deal with the idiots on the ride. i drive a small compact car and i have enough problems with people not moving over when i merge and cutting right in front of me. i imagine its 10 times as bad for a trucker.

not to mention the wide turns you have to make and all the headaches associated with that.

reading those threads about the NYC driver and the philly driver were crazy.

my question is have you been in an accident with your truck, or have you ever narrowly escaped an accident?
I find that it all depends on just how determined the 4-wheeler in question is to get into one. If he/she wants to get into an accident really bad, it's nearly impossible to avoid it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member

When i drove vaccum tankers i was going down rt.202 south in estern PA. I was rubber necking at a girl next to me and when i looked up the cars where all stoped. :shock: I hit them brakes so damn hard i was empty so the trailer axles locked up smoke went everywhere. I went on the shoulder or i would have hit the car in front of me. My heart was beating so fast it was un-real. I didnt hit anything thank god. But if it wasnt for that open shoulder i would have been in trouble. Well thats my story.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Reply Subscribe