User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is trucking right for me?

By profession I work with computers and I have done okay; about $48K / year. Back in January I was layed off for the second time and I kinda have lost my faith in Corporate America. I decided to travel around the world by motorcycle. The money didn't last as long as I would have liked and now I need to find some work.

I saw an ad in the paper looking for truckers. They said that the training would take 3 weeks (Mon-Fri) and I would have a total out of pocket expense of only $200. They said the cost of training was $4995 to be paid by the hiring company. They promised that I would have a job lined up before graduation. They said that I could start training on this Monday. There is no pay during training but immediately upon graduation I would earn between $800 / wk and $1500 / wk.

Getting ready for my trip I sold everything I own and canceled my lease. Technically I am homeless, lol so I don't have to return to any home or family anywhere. I am somewhat not a people person or at least don't like being forced to deal with people constantly.

Would trucking allow me to be able to work for a few months on and a few months off? I still want to tour the world and don't know where I would settle from time to time. Would I be able to pick up in any part of the World (or at least US) find work relatively easily for a couple of months?

Thanks everyone for you input.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Rookie

Hi pred8tr....

Just my .02.

I recommend www.newbiedriver.com to get a good idea of what you're getting into. Lots of info.

You didn't say what company you're going with or what kind of trailer you'll be pulling but be VERY VERY careful. Please do your homework and check out a lot of trucking forums to see what is being said about the various companies. I'm assuming you are going to work for a large carrier; you should be aware of both good and bad reports, but take the negatives with a grain of salt. Some drivers who have had a bad experience brought it on themselves (of course they won't tell you the whole story).

If you like being alone this is a good occupation. It's one of the things I enjoy most.

Not being paid during training would be a BIG red flag for me. Doesn't sound good.

If you want to work on again/off again that's something you need to discuss with your employer. Just my opinion, but I don't think most companies would be happy about it. You can find work again easily if you're not too picky, but job hopping every few months doesn't look good on an application. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Also...most companies that commit to pay for your training will require you to stay for 12 months post graduation in order for that committment to be honored. If you leave early, you will owe a % of the training cost. You need to check the fine print and ask (in writing) for the policy of whatever company you are looking at so you know up front what is required.

Good luck to you in your world travels..sounds like a fun life style for a foot loose and fancy free person.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Default Re: Is trucking right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8tr
By profession I work with computers and I have done okay; about $48K / year. Back in January I was layed off for the second time and I kinda have lost my faith in Corporate America. I decided to travel around the world by motorcycle. The money didn't last as long as I would have liked and now I need to find some work.

I saw an ad in the paper looking for truckers. They said that the training would take 3 weeks (Mon-Fri) and I would have a total out of pocket expense of only $200. They said the cost of training was $4995 to be paid by the hiring company. They promised that I would have a job lined up before graduation. They said that I could start training on this Monday. There is no pay during training but immediately upon graduation I would earn between $800 / wk and $1500 / wk.

Getting ready for my trip I sold everything I own and canceled my lease. Technically I am homeless, lol so I don't have to return to any home or family anywhere. I am somewhat not a people person or at least don't like being forced to deal with people constantly.

Would trucking allow me to be able to work for a few months on and a few months off? I still want to tour the world and don't know where I would settle from time to time. Would I be able to pick up in any part of the World (or at least US) find work relatively easily for a couple of months?

Thanks everyone for you input.

click on the videos
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8tr
immediately upon graduation I would earn between $800 / wk and $1500 / wk.
That seems to be a bit... overly optimistic, I suppose I would say.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Is trucking right for me?

I was layed off for the second time and I kinda have lost my faith in Corporate America How 'bought an IT job in a logixtics company?. I decided to travel around the world by motorcycle. The money didn't last as long as I would have liked and now I need to find some work.

I saw an ad in the paper looking for truckers. They said that the training would take 3 weeks (Mon-Fri) Yup and I would have a total out of pocket expense of only $200 Get it in writing. They said the cost of training was $4995 to be paid by the hiring company Only if the company hiring you has tuition reimbursement, normally paid at a rate of $100/month. Do the math, figure out how long you'd gave to be with your initial hirer.. They promised that I would have a job lined up before graduation. A school can't ethically promise that. They said that I could start training on this Monday They want your but in their seat. There is no pay during training but immediately upon graduation I would earn between $800/wk and $1500/wk. Have 'em show you copies of pay sheets.

Getting ready for my trip I sold everything I own and canceled my lease. Technically I am homeless, lol so I don't have to return to any home or family anywhere. You'll need a tax residence, usually a good thing to match the address on your license. I am somewhat not a people person or at least don't like being forced to deal with people constantly. You'll be dealing with people all the time, shippers, receivers, the fuel desk, the shop, etc, etc.

Would trucking allow me to be able to work for a few months on and a few months off? Not for the first year or two. I still want to tour the world and don't know where I would settle from time to time. Would I be able to pick up in any part of the World (or at least US) find work relatively easily for a couple of months? Once you're experienced, sounds like a casual position might interest you. What's your 20?. BOL
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Board Regular

if you were laid off, you could be eligible for state or county paid training.

i was laid off and collected unemployment while the county paid for my commercial training.

i do not recommend you put yourself in a position to be exploited by a "training" truck driving company. there are many other better options.

going from a desk job to a trucking job will be quite a change and will come to a shock to you, i promise. but, it is possible. i did it, and im happy. i do miss my cushy desk job, though
Old 05-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Join the club about the IT world. I spent 30 odd years in IT.

Here's some gotcha's:
That $5k you will have to pay no matter what. If you don't get your CDL you have to pay, If you don't make it with the company you will have to pay.
As already mentioned, you will sign an agreement to stay witht he company for a certain amount of time. If you don't - guess who pays for the CDL.
Some companies pay students by the miles, some a flat salary.
Your pay is determined by the number of miles you run, so you need to figure what's going to happen when you have 0 miles.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Wagon
I recommend www.newbiedriver.com to get a good idea of what you're getting into. Lots of info.
That page has a LOT of good information. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
click on the videos
The videos are not working. They appear to have been removed.