Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is trucking right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8tr
immediately upon graduation I would earn between $800 / wk and $1500 / wk.
That seems to be a bit... overly optimistic, I suppose I would say.
Yeah, I figure the recruitment spiels is about 80/20 BS to Truth. I was hoping that being able to better my salary was a reality though. What is realistic?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I figure the recruitment spiels is about 80/20 BS to Truth. I was hoping that being able to better my salary was a reality though. What is realistic?
28 cents a mile. 1000-2500 miles a week.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
How 'bought an IT job in a logixtics company?
Honestly, though I would take another IT job right now if the salary was what I am used to, I dunno. I just have this disdain (fear?) for another IT job and I am having issues setting it aside. This problem is prolly beyond the scope of this thread.

I saw an ad in the paper looking for truckers. They said that the training would take 3 weeks (Mon-Fri) Yup and I would have a total out of pocket expense of only $200 Get it in writing. They said the cost of training was $4995 to be paid by the hiring company Only if the company hiring you has tuition reimbursement, normally paid at a rate of $100/month. Do the math, figure out how long you'd gave to be with your initial hirer.. They promised that I would have a job lined up before graduation. A school can't ethically promise that. They said that I could start training on this Monday They want your but in their seat. There is no pay during training but immediately upon graduation I would earn between $800/wk and $1500/wk. Have 'em show you copies of pay sheets.

Here is my current view. If the pay WERE to be $800 - $1500 / wk I would be glad to pay back the $4995 loan out of pocket if need be. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather keep the cash in my pocket but if, say, I determined 2 weeks into it that I couldn't stand trucking and had to get out, I would work the 3 weeks to 1.5 months required to pay off the loan and be pleased with the fact that I have earned a CDL.

You'll need a tax residence, usually a good thing to match the address on your license.
I keep a PO box in my home town, but could see buying a small piece of unimproved land somewhere if that was required to make this work. I would hate to actually have a 'home' though and would not want excess expense. I think I'd rather stay on the road.

You'll be dealing with people all the time, shippers, receivers, the fuel desk, the shop, etc, etc.

Thus is life to a degree I guess but surely this is way less people-pleasing than having my primary job function making people happy with their computer rather than fixing a problem that doesn't exist? But I digress.

Would trucking allow me to be able to work for a few months on and a few months off? Not for the first year or two.

That there is some bad mojo.
My 20 is Myrtle Beach South Carolina right now. Home is Richmond, VA but I've been here in Myrtle Beach (part of my world tour) for nearly a month through Harley Bike Week and now Memorial Day Bike Weekend.
Thanks again folks.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
if you were laid off, you could be eligible for state or county paid training.

i was laid off and collected unemployment while the county paid for my commercial training.

i do not recommend you put yourself in a position to be exploited by a "training" truck driving company. there are many other better options.

going from a desk job to a trucking job will be quite a change and will come to a shock to you, i promise. but, it is possible. i did it, and im happy. i do miss my cushy desk job, though
I had not considered this at all. I was laid off. My entire building closed. I have refrained from collecting unemployment considering I haven't until 3 weeks ago been looking for a job... but I would absolutely take the paid for training. Unfortunately I imagine that means going back to VA.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
28 cents a mile. 1000-2500 miles a week.
That math would make them straight up liars then. $280 - $700 week isn't what they promised.

For this plan to be the God-send Id like it to be I would really like to better my salary (though right now it's zero). That means I would like a make better than $2600 after tax monthly. Granted, $700 /wk betters that, but is 2500 miles reasonable? How many hours a week equates to 2500 miles?

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

You have 70 hours available on your logbook each week. You either work that 70 and then take a break, or, the better option, use careful time management to ensure that your hours don't run out. What you can accomplish in a day's time, how much time you have to deliver the load, and how far you have to go within that timeframe dictates the practicality of this.
Your weekly mileage probably depends on the company you go to work for. Initially, you'll probably start off a little slower, and won't get as many as the drivers who've been there for a little bit. Afterwards, it picks up.
What they also failed to mention in your driving school brochure is that before you're given a truck and told, "Go get 'em!", you'll have to undergo a period of time with a driver trainer, during which, you'll probably receive a menial fixed salary for that period of training.
Always remember that a recruiter is exactly that - a recruiter. Some will lie to you, some will simply neglect to mention certain things - either way, their purpose is recruitment.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Going from a "cushy" desk job to being a virtual nomad involves a minor lobotomy. :lol:

However, if you've enjoyed roaming the USA on your cycle, then perhaps it won't be that much of an adjustment.

Just remember that an OTR national/regional company driver roams the roads usually on a given route ad nauseum (so freedom to go on the road less traveled--the scenic route--is usually not the route that your company will encourage/require you to take).

Eventually, what you'll miss the most, is your home....

On the one hand, the OTR lifestyle is not for everyone. On the other hand, you won't know 'till you try it.

Best in your thinking-it-through Pred8tr!

- A former IT'er

P.S. And yes -- you will deal with people...some of whom will drive you nuts--much more than your worst corporate boss nightmare. :shock:
Old 05-24-2008, 03:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
if you were laid off, you could be eligible for state or county paid training.

i was laid off and collected unemployment while the county paid for my commercial training.

i do not recommend you put yourself in a position to be exploited by a "training" truck driving company. there are many other better options.

going from a desk job to a trucking job will be quite a change and will come to a shock to you, i promise. but, it is possible. i did it, and im happy. i do miss my cushy desk job, though
I had not considered this at all. I was laid off. My entire building closed. I have refrained from collecting unemployment considering I haven't until 3 weeks ago been looking for a job... but I would absolutely take the paid for training. Unfortunately I imagine that means going back to VA.
no offense, but if you dont collect unemployment, your an idiot. that's what it is for. you paid into it.
you dont neccesarily have to go back to VA to collect VA unemployment.
look into it. dont cheat yourself. there is NO shame in collecting unemployment if you dont abuse it.

as far as pay goes, thats pretty accurate .$27-30CPM is the norm for a newbie from a training school.
most trucks are governed @ 60-62 MPH X 11 hours driving MAX per day.
given traffic and quick stops, figure 55 MPHx11 = 550 per day or so.
you will not get to that point every day due to the waiting time at docks unloading and loading gobbling up your 14 hour day. so, 2500 is a good max to bet on. problem is, you may be spending some time in the truckstop waiting for loads. this would drop your weekly average. this is why i say 1000-2500 per week.

Dude, im being honest when i say: dont beleive recruiters. this business sucks. if you can find a better job, do it. if you want to goof around and see the country and dont need much $$$$. then fine, give it a try.
otherwise, beware
Old 05-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
However, if you've enjoyed roaming the USA on your cycle, then perhaps it won't be that much of an adjustment.
I do enjoy the adventure.

Quote:
Just remember that an OTR national/regional company driver roams the roads usually on a given route ad nauseum (so freedom to go on the road less traveled--the scenic route--is usually not the route that your company will encourage/require you to take).
What would be ideal for me is to be able to drive from point A to point B. hopefully have a few days at point B to myself. Then go from point B to point C. Spend a few days there. etc...

Is that unrealistic? If I have any kind time off AT the destination the route is fine.

Quote:
Eventually, what you'll miss the most, is your home....
Fortunately for me I don't think I will have that problem. I am comfortable with an extraordinarily solitary life. No home & No family to worry about. I've been on the road about a month now and the thing I dread the most is the prospect of having to go back to Richmond, find a place to live and get a 9-5.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Board Regular

actually, the air ride seat is pretty cushy.
i don't see it as driving, i see it as being in my office all day, but i can take my office to teh restaurant if i want ;P