User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Watching Your Health

Not sure where this post needs to be,if it needs to be moved go for it.I want to encourage all drivers to watch your health while on the road,particularly what you eat.I spent 10 years OTR,most of it being flatbed.Four months ago I came in off the road and am local now.Last month I started having chest pains early one morning,went to the E.R and was having a minor heart attack.After two Heart Catherizations and having two stents put in my heart,I am recovering.This was a wake up call to me to watch my diet.Wanting to encourage my fellow drivers to do the same.Don't want anybody to go through what I have the last month.Remember there is someone waiting for you at home,be there for them.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Rookie

Best of luck for a speedy recovery Steelhauler.

I recently watched a news show which stressed the importance of being able to identify having a heart attack as all events aren't sudden and intense. Being knowledgeable about which hospitals in your area specialize in heart treatment can also make a world of difference in quality of treatment. I know thats difficult for OTR; but, if you are local, it sounds like good knowledge to have.

Statistics
Coronary heart disease is the No. 1 cause of death in the United States. Stroke is the No. 3 cause of death in the United States and a leading cause of serious disability.

Heart Attack Warning Signs
Here are signs that can mean a heart attack is happening:
* Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
* Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
* Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
* Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness

Source: http://www.americanheart.org
Old 05-20-2008, 06:39 PM

I think that is good advice regardless of your occupation, although trucking by nature does not necessarily lend itself to a healthy lifestyle, what with all the sitting and the poor diet in the name of keeping the wheels turning...but it doesn't have to be that way. Alot of the OTR guys I know avoid truck stop food like the plague due to it being expensive and mostly unhealthy (high fat, high carb, etc.) and they go to the Supercenter or a local grocery store and buy their own food to keep on the truck. It is sometimes hard to remain active between stops when all you want to do is sleep but it can be done.

Also keep in mind that another factor with propensity for heart disease/heart attacks is heredity so if you have a history of it in your family be aware and take extra precautions.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I have asthma so I take chest pains and shortness of breath very seriously. I'm only 17 will be 18 in July, a few months ago I went to the hospital cause I was having severe chest pains to the point to where I thought I was having a heart attack but come to find out it was only an upper respitory infection.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Having had 2 heart attacks and 3 strokes I've learned alot of things about both.

In neither of by heart attacks did have have the classic signs. The first time I had a heart attack I thought I had a bad toothache and I was clammy. The second heart attack I didn't have any signs I was was tired feeling.

In the first case I had two stents put in. When I went in the second time they found the stents were clogged and new ones had to be put in.

Something I found out about stents there are two types of stents one has a coating and the other one doesn't. Also the first hospital didn't tell me there is a high chance the un-coated stents will clog. Neither did they tell me that any time I have a MRA the staff should be told. The second hospital gave a card with the information with the serial numbers of the stents.

In my case there wasn't any family history of heart disease.

I totally agree with steelhauler2008 get your diet under control and if you are over weight lose weight. Find time to exercise.

kc0iv
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Board Regular

Get out of your truck. Walk around your truck 7 times, 180' x 7 = 1/7 mile, 7 times a day. Stop and stretch every time you see a bumper. On ramps and rest areas will give you much better air quality than a truck stop. Shippers and receivers are good, too. Stop, walk and stretch.

As for food . . get a big box of Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, Trisquits, Wheat Thins . . whatever you like (without sugar!) . . munch and snack on those while you drive . . excellent fiber . . mix with soy milk or yogurt . . out of this world! Keep your turds long, afloat and solid and you won't stink up the joint!

Once or so a week . . enjoy the foods you crave . . eat some meat, fries, wings, etc . . then get back on the plan.

Go to Costco . . get a 36/48 pack of V8, tomato, or another juice and another of H20 . . won't be long until you feel less of a need for caffiene . . and you'll start looking at teas for a healthier alternative . .
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Board Regular

Forgot to mention fresh and/or dried fruit/veggies. Whoop that stuff in!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

You guys are leaving out vitamins, I'm taking centrum cause I was getting very very bad headaches and couldn't figure out why, then I started taking the centrum and the headaches went away so I think it was due to low iron, but anyway I think taking vitamins would help drivers as well. Just my .02 cents. :wink:
Old 05-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
...Keep your turds long, afloat and solid and you won't stink up the joint...!
May be gross to talk about it, but he's right -- your poop is supposed to float.

My wife (into natural health nutrition) informed me years ago that my doo-doo should float if I'm eating a healthy diet.

Sadly...if anyone cares...my poop hasn't floated much over the years.

OK--how about Big Brown (I'm talking about the horse!) :lol:
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member