User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerChris
I don't have anything on my dash because I don't like the reflections it makes when I'm driving.
Absolutely. And my glass is cleaned daily if not twice. I wear my flip-flops if I go past the driver's seat. Bumpy parking lots that result in my shelves being re-arranged aggravate me, but there's nothing to be done.

When I was in dump-trucks there was a jerk who drove my truck at nights on a big paving job. He would lift anything I left in the truck (including my trash can - who would steal a plastic trash can?) and leave his trash. I cleaned the truck and scraped the cold asphalt off every morning.

Then at the end of one work day he called on the company net and asked where the newspaper he'd left on the dash was. I told him it went into the dumpster with the rest of his trash. He didn't come back to that, so when I got back to the yard I asked the dispatcher if the jerk went dumpster-diving, and he said yes, he had some important paperwork folded into the newspaper. :lol:
Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
so when I got back to the yard I asked the dispatcher if the jerk went dumpster-diving, and he said yes, he had some important paperwork folded into the newspaper.
:lol: :lol: ...That'll learn 'em... :lol: :lol:
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 AM

oh, you wish People like that don't EVER learn.

I'm not a neatness freak - though that could change. Not spent any time in a cab yet. Based on my desk, though... it's cluttered as hell - but there's no trash or schmutz on it.. well, a few dead hard drives.. but those are paperweights until I get them ripped apart.

Paperwork - ok, I don't like messy paperwork. I have my aluminum police clip-board for current stuff, and one of them thar accordion files for everything else. I hope to get on with a company that lets me use a computer generated log, but if not, so be it. I have a 6-inch ruler and I write clearly.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Board Icon

Well, I'm certainly no NEAT FREAK! But, I like to keep my MESS "organized!" :lol:

Remember.... I drive TEAM, so we have twice the STUFF! Dashboards are MEANT to keep things on! On the passenger side, we keep the ATLAS and a few magazines for reading when sitting in the passenger seat. On the driver's side are the envelopes with the BOL's, my logbook, and my notepads for mileages and previous trip notes. Also, my little bag that holds my inkpens, reading glasses, and extra sunglasses. Inbetween, you might find a cellphone charger, a bag of candy, and ANYTHING ELSE I deem necessary for quick and SAFE access while I am driving. But.... NONE of it will impede my view of the right fender mirror!

When we "switch" drivers, we switch our personal affects to the other side. Everything else stays behind the curtain, or in a cubbyhole.

I CLEAN the inside of the windows when they NEED it! Same with the carpet. My logbook has straight lines and clear remarks, and has NEVER been seriously questioned.

I don't LIVE in my truck, but for 5 days a week, TWO of us do! We feel no need to be ANAL about cleanliness or organization, but we DO try to keep things in their place. And we MOVE them around as needed. I can clear my defroster vents in 2 seconds by consolidating the necessities on my dash.

I have NEVER been inspected BECAUSE of a messy dash, but I have never been told that it mattered! MOST DOT officers recognize the NEED to have some things handy. There is a BIG difference between TRASHY and ORGANIZED. Just as there is a big difference between being ORGANIZED and being a friggin NEAT FREAK!

I don't care HOW "neat" you keep your truck! Just make sure that you can stay in your lane, and don't "roadblock" the faster trucks and 4wheelers! :roll: The fact that there is a connection, says volumes about where a driver's head is at!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Board Regular

If theres one thing I can't stand....its a dirty cab. I was off for 7 weeks due to injury and when I got back, a buddy of mine had used my truck and hauled his dog. I've got allergies and he hadn't dusted in the whole time he had my truck to go along with the dog hair. I spent about 5 hours that weekend cleaning the cab. When I see a truck with crap all over the dash.....I often wonder how they get through scales looking like a sh*thole

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Rookie