User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Jumbo, no you're not a neat freak, just a responsible individual who takes pride in his job and equipment.

I also keep my dash clean. There is nothing on my dash at anytime. I keep my glasses, cellphone, cigs, etc... in the small cubbyhole above the drivers seat.

Before retiring for the night, I use my electric razor and am clean shaven for the following day. I put a clean shirt on every morning.

Several years ago(1999) I was pulled over at a weigh station in CT. They were doing random logbook checks. An older CT trooper stepped up on the steps of my truck. As he was doing this I pulled out my log book and BOL and held them in my hand. He looks in my truck, including the dash, and then takes a good look at me. He asks, "How's everything going? Any problems?" I replied, "No, everything is going great!!! It's a beautiful day to be driving!!!" He then states, "Anybody with such a great looking truck and with such a professional appearance and attitude, must be in compliance. Have a great day!!!" I thanked him and wished him "A Great Day" and he waived me thru.

MESSAGE: If you present yourself in a professional manner, conduct yourself in a professional manner, and keep your equipment in professional appearance, in turn, you'll be treated like a professional.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
MESSAGE: If you present yourself in a professional manner, conduct yourself in a professional manner, and keep your equipment in professional appearance, in turn, you'll be treated like a professional.
That is the key to being treated as a Professional and with Respect. I keep myself clean and truck clean inside and out for myself....getting throught the scale house unscathed is one of the perks.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Board Regular

I try to keep the clutter to a minimum, but i don't live in my truck either.
My old trainer would make me take off my shoes in the truck. That was a little too much for me.
I'm not a diligent duster, but I like to keep things in order and be able to find what i need to find.
but i'm also a bit of a pack rat, and i tend to let a bit of mess build up before i clean it up. otherwise it feels like i'm doing a lot of work for a little bit.
now, if i'm on the road for a while, and i have some downtime, i'll do some cleaning. but if i'm home on a regular basis, i don't want to spend more time in the truck than i have to :/
Old 05-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
I love seeing trucks parked at the truckstop that the driver clearly moved all his crap from the sleeper to the passenger seat just so he could sleep.
I saw that also. It looks like they made a sunshade out of garbage.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

I keep inside and outside clean when on the road but start letting it slide about three days from getting home. Have to or GFriend Gkids would be real pi$$ed I didn't hire them to clean it out and wipe it all down
Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

You guys haven't lived until you've slip-seated in an LTL outfit.

I keep a clean interior of the truck. I am stunned how a line-haul driver can trash the inside of a cab in one night's time (Granted--not every linehaul driver is a slob...and to be fair to the linehaul drivers, our barn has a few city p/u drivers who are utter slobs).

I used to get yelled at by my boss because I took an extra few minutes to clean out the garbage, coffee/soda spills through out the cab. Then one morning I showed him the cab interior. I no longer get yelled at for cleaning up the mess left by the previous driver. :lol:

And yeah, the boss has talked to the line-haul drivers to clean up the garbage at the end of their trip...in one ear and out the other! :x
Old 05-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Board Regular

If you ever need to get a slob out of a truck real quick you can just throw a bar of soap in there and they come right out. :shock: :lol:
Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
You guys haven't lived until you've slip-seated in an LTL outfit.

I keep a clean interior of the truck. I am stunned how a line-haul driver can trash the inside of a cab in one night's time (Granted--not every linehaul driver is a slob...and to be fair to the linehaul drivers, our barn has a few city p/u drivers who are utter slobs).

I used to get yelled at by my boss because I took an extra few minutes to clean out the garbage, coffee/soda spills through out the cab. Then one morning I showed him the cab interior. I no longer get yelled at for cleaning up the mess left by the previous driver. :lol:

And yeah, the boss has talked to the line-haul drivers to clean up the garbage at the end of their trip...in one ear and out the other! :x
Do you by chance work for Saia?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 PM

No, you're not a neat freak at all - Be proud!
I've been a proud neat-freak for many years and am thankful there is no one to create a mess in my truck other than myself

-- I should add that I hate it when I clutter my truck It is usually clean. I clean it every morning before I start my day like clockwork. I wipe the floor, the dash, the steering wheel, mirrors, windows, windshield, etc... the bed MUST be made... well, I should also add I'm obsessive-compulsive about it; If I start driving in the middle of the night and don't make my bed, when the sun comes up and I can see that it isn't made, I'll PULL OVER just to make it up.

I picked up at BASF (Freeport, TX) this week and one of their inspection crew told me that my truck was one of the best he'd ever inspected; he turned another guy around and said he couldn't/wouldn't inspect it because there was knee-high trash all over the floor (gross)... I just know I wouldn't be able to work in that kind of environment...
Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Fancy_Maneuvers wrote:
Quote:
... the bed MUST be made...
You got that right...along with my last post here, like you, the bed is made before the drive starts.