User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help me understand Fuel Surcharge!

What is Fuel Surcharge exactly?If you lease on with a company and they pay you 90 cents per mile and 40 cents fuel surcharge what exactly are they saying.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

A fuel surcharge is extra money in addition to the rate per mile to help off set the cost of fuel. With most companies the fuel surcharge is only paid on loaded miles.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Rookie

Thats basicly you getting 1.30 per mile. Its designed to offset your fuel costs and will rise and lower with the costs of fuel. With a lot of companies that pay low mileage rates its just a good way of still paying low while making it look like you are getting a generous deal.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Board Regular

Well heres my thing , I have been all over looking for a driving job and well JB Hunt looks like its going to be it for now just to get the OTR experience and move on but they want to stick me in the lease purchase plan, my question is would it be better to stick it out company driver or take the lease deal and use it for awile and walk away when I'm ready to move on?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Well they arent pushing the lease purchase plan on you because it's going to benefit you.......Think about it. :roll: :roll:

Adapt and overcome.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Board Regular

$0 Down Lease-Purchase Plan

J.B. Hunt Transport’s Lease-Purchase Plan has already helped many drivers realize the dream of owning their own truck, and we can help you too. We offer the #1 lease-purchase package in the industry. You can get into your own late-model Freightliner with low payments, easy terms and program incentives to help you meet your goal of becoming a successful business owner.

If you’re a career driver, you’ll likely be behind the wheel for the next 36 months. Why not be behind the wheel of a truck that will eventually be yours?

Current Incentives

No money down and $0 up-front cost
1.9% interest for the life of your loan
No credit check (guaranteed loan approval, financed by J.B. Hunt)
$300 per month credit (potential $10,800 to eliminate balloon)
Walk away with no obligation after 90 days
Deferred truck payments (first payment deducted in third week)
Payments as low as $275 per week
J.B. Hunt has late-model Freightliner Century Class tractors, generally 26 months to 48 months in age, ready for lease. These trucks have been held to the highest maintenance standards and have been impeccably serviced.

Select your own truck from available models
Trucks pass a 135-point inspection and carry any remaining warranty
Access our nationwide network of maintenance vendors
Optional “bumper-to-bumper” Maintenance Service Agreement available; covers mechanical breakdowns as well as routine maintenance such as oil changes and tires
Fuel & Partnership Advantages

Don’t let concerns about the cost of fuel prevent you from fulfilling your dream. J.B. Hunt offers partnership discounts to ease the financial burden of operating your own truck via substantial savings on fuel, tires and maintenance services. We know that the cost of fuel is a major concern for truck owners today. That’s why we leverage our buying power to help your bottom line; no one buys fuel at a lower price than J.B. Hunt. Fueling with us, you’ll save an average of $ .10 to $ .20 per gallon, plus costs are deducted from your weekly settlement. You’ll also receive a fuel surcharge, adjusted weekly in keeping with DOE fuel average. And to further support our lease-purchase partners, we are currently paying additional cpm rates for fuel relief on top of the normal fuel surcharge.

In addition to fuel and maintenance savings, we can also connect you with a voluntary health program to cover you and your family at an affordable group rate. We also offer:

24-hour Road Service department
Paid base plates/permits
Toll cards and EZ Pass issued; scales reimbursed; lumpers paid
On-board communication and e-mail
Weekly settlements (each Friday) via Comdata or direct deposit
Rider program
Personal business consultant service (personalized budgeting, bookkeeping, etc…)
Three Lease-Purchase Options

With J.B. Hunt’s Lease-Purchase Program, you have a choice of three options. Our knowledgeable hiring representatives will gladly detail the distinctions between these plans, in depth, so you can make an informed decision about the plan that’s right for you.

Enhanced Performance Plan

90 cpm for both loaded and empty miles
Flexible fuel surcharge, adjusted weekly; paid loaded and empty
Additional cpm fuel relief rates
Average 50 miles per day and $250 more per week than traditional plan
Current total in excess of $1.30 per mile (base, surcharge and fuel relief)
Must be available for dispatch 86% of the time and accept all assigned loads
Accept all assigned loads (no obligation to accept loads to NYC or Canada)
Performance Plan

88 cpm for both loaded and empty miles
Accept all assigned loads (no obligation to accept loads to NYC or Canada)
Traditional Plan

85 cpm for both loaded and empty miles
Additional cpm fuel relief rates
No forced dispatch
Short-Haul and Non-Mileage Rates

In addition to the three rate plans, J.B. Hunt also offers supplemental rates for shorter hauls and non-driving activities:

0 to 74 miles: Mileage rate + $45
75 to 149 miles: Mileage rate + $35
150 to 225 miles: Mileage rate + $25
226 to 300 miles: Mileage rate + $15
$50 layover after 24 hours (weekdays)
$25 per hour local/shuttle driving
$20 pallet jack usage
$25 per hour for safety training
$2.25 per 1000 lbs loading/unloading
$75 per day for orientation (plus lodging and meals)
Voluntary Health Program

You can take advantage of a voluntary health program offered through USNow, at discounted group rates for J.B. Hunt lease-purchase drivers. For details about these benefits, call USNow at 1-800-694-9888, extension 524. Should you elect to participate, you will be eligible to enroll immediately. J.B. Hunt will deduct your premiums from your weekly settlement. This optional plan includes:

Medical (choice of Basic or Enhanced plan)
Prescription plan
Dental
Vision
Short-term disability
Critical coverage
Discounted professional services, including accounting and tax prep
Lease-Purchase Orientation

Orientation is the first step toward your future as a business owner. Orientation is held weekly at the following terminals, and you’ll receive $75 per day for completing this informative class. J.B. Hunt will provide lodging and two meals per day during your stay. At orientation, you can expect to complete a DOT physical and drug screen, road test and all leasing paperwork, plus a briefing on our company policies, communication protocol and safety standards.

Lowell, AR
Atlanta, GA
Louisville, KY
Dallas, TX
If you are interested in joining J.B. Hunt’s Independent Contractor Group as a lease-purchase driver, please contact us online or call 1-877-791-9458.

jbhunt.com|
Privacy Policy• Terms of Use•
Site Map|
Copyright © 2008 J.B. Hunt Transport, Inc.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
Well heres my thing , I have been all over looking for a driving job and well JB Hunt looks like its going to be it for now just to get the OTR experience and move on but they want to stick me in the lease purchase plan, my question is would it be better to stick it out company driver or take the lease deal and use it for awile and walk away when I'm ready to move on?
Don't do a lease deal its a waste of time and u will not make any money and u can possibly mess up your credit.Your better off staying as a company driver until u can buy your own truck..

also do a seach here on lease purchase deals I don't think a heard of anyone that came out on top with this deal..

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
Don’t let concerns about the cost of fuel prevent you from fulfilling your dream.
Don't let minor things like reality and common sense stand in the way of your dream to lease!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Board Regular

Here is where I stand, I trying to get some OTR experience without doing some 6 week training session and make as much money as I can and move on to something better, I know JB is not the best liked around here but it gets my foot in the door, I guess!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Rookie

I am one that thinks jumping right into a lease straight out of school is just a terrible idea. You are going to have your hands full as is just trying to get thehang of living life on the road as a driver and learning the ropes and details of the job, all of that is enough of a headache on its own at first without throwing extra paperwork and major financial responisbility with the risk of very crappy end results of it all goes wrong into the mix. Hook up with a decent company and you can make the same or even more than an operator and dont have all the headaches....and the 6 week training stuff kind of sucks but it is very beneficial to you survuvung out here. You need to learn all you can from whoever you can. Trucking is changing and getting tougher by the year, dont set yourself up for failure before you even get started.