User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
Here is where I stand, I trying to get some OTR experience without doing some 6 week training session and make as much money as I can and move on to something better, I know JB is not the best liked around here but it gets my foot in the door, I guess!
IMO no one should even think of being an O/O with less than 3 years experience and only then if they have a solid background in business. In addition anyone one wanting to purchase their own truck should have a solid background in truck repairs.

Even then I would even recommend anyone sign a lease/purchase deal. If they have the above then purchase your own truck and lease on with a carrier.

While I don't know anything about J.B. Hunt operations I think you will find 6 weeks is the norm for training. I suspect you would have to go through their training program before they would sign a lease/purchase deal.

I agree with
nsxman2001 "Don't do a lease deal its a waste of time and u will not make any money and u can possibly mess up your credit.Your better off staying as a company driver until u can buy your own truck."

kc0iv
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Here is where I stand, I trying to get some OTR experience without doing some 6 week training session and make as much money as I can and move on to something better, I know JB is not the best liked around here but it gets my foot in the door, I guess!
IMO no one should even think of being an O/O with less than 3 years experience and only then if they have a solid background in business. In addition anyone one wanting to purchase their own truck should have a solid background in truck repairs.

Even then I would even recommend anyone sign a lease/purchase deal. If they have the above then purchase your own truck and lease on with a carrier.

While I don't know anything about J.B. Hunt operations I think you will find 6 weeks is the norm for training. I suspect you would have to go through their training program before they would sign a lease/purchase deal.

I agree with
nsxman2001 "Don't do a lease deal its a waste of time and u will not make any money and u can possibly mess up your credit.Your better off staying as a company driver until u can buy your own truck."

kc0iv
I would add to that you don't even know if the trucking lifestyle is for you. Drive for a while and see if you like it. Even If you are really comitted to getting your own rig this definitely is not a good time. Go OTR for a year and save up a nice down payment and see how the industry is then.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Board Regular

So basicly stick it out as a company driver and see what happens and if I decide to stay in buy my own truck and take it where I want?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
So basicly stick it out as a company driver and see what happens and if I decide to stay in buy my own truck and take it where I want?
Once you decide you are ready to give it a go I wouldn't lease or purchase without doing a lot of research. There are a lot of caveats involved with being an owner. There is an o/o forum section that you may want to browse.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 AM

Get some time in {two years} to learn the "tricks" that you will learn & need, "on thier dime", while communicating with O/Os in the company. Let your dispatcher know of your plan. Maybe drive for an O/O in the company?

OR...

Do you work hard & smart, all the time? It would be a shame to waste that in driving for a comany. There are perks for an O/O vs a driver.

Will it make you SMILE to be an O/O?

Its where the road splits...The best to You.

edit: Get the time OTR on thier dime, there is a lot to learn & experience.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

WoW, JB is offering 90c per mile !!!!! I need to drop this load I have on, paying $17.57 pm and run right over there. Oh along with the $17.57 it is paying .58c pm FSC.
DON'T jump at a "fleece plan" right off the bat !!!!! Get some miles under ya seat, and talk to drivers, then decide. But decide to go to a truck dealer like PacCar and see if you can lease a truck direct then put it someplace that will make $$$ not the Leasors (Fleesors).
Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
WoW, JB is offering 90c per mile !!!!! I need to drop this load I have on, paying $17.57 pm and run right over there. Oh along with the $17.57 it is paying .58c pm FSC.
DON'T jump at a "fleece plan" right off the bat !!!!! Get some miles under ya seat, and talk to drivers, then decide. But decide to go to a truck dealer like PacCar and see if you can lease a truck direct then put it someplace that will make $$$ not the Leasors (Fleesors).

$17.57 per mile????? :roll: Hmmmmm, HOW MANY MILES ?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 AM

I have no inherent problem with lease-to-own your own truck. However, leasing from the company that has a vested interest in getting their truck back?

IF JBH would lease me the truck and let me O/O for some other carrier, it might well be worth a shot.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure a significant percentage of fleece operators actually survive to the point where they own the truck and are free as a bird. But there's also a significant percentage who seem to be running fine - up until the last X months, when all of a sudden they can't get miles. No miles = no pay. No pay = no truck.

Why they can't get miles? No idea. But it makes me wonder.

all in all - it just comes across as a truly horrible idea from the point of view of the trucker
Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

1325 2hellandback. Also they paid permits and pilots.