User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the responses.

I think the discussion got settled on the tri-pak issue. Mine has an 1800 watt triplite inverter and the tripak is supposed to charge the batteries as needed. If by chance that does not work as planned (dead batteries) I can jump from the reefer unit if needed, then rethink the issue.

This is a company truck. The good news is that it is a small company and they are likely to be ok with removing the cabinet if asked first. I have already removed two bezels, to make room for the cooler and my radio, and stored them in the truck. I did not ask about those two and no one has said anything yet.

When I get back to the yard later today I will ask about removing the cabinet and where to store it. Gonna ask permission for removing the cabinet because it is a large item that cannot be stored easily on the truck.

Thanks for all the advice. The best answers are usually found here.

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Interstate won't allow the use of a 110 volt fridge because several drivers woke up to their truck on fire started by the cheap 110 fridge that wasn't designed for the constant vibrations and jolts from OTR use. So we as drivers have to buy expensive 12 volt fridges that are designed for such use.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Rookie

Got the OK from the shop to remove the cabinet. Didn't think it would be problem but better to ask first. The shop has the cabinet for safekeeping.(BTW it was 4 nuts on the back and 2 bolts on the floor).

Got the fridge last night. A GE 4.3 cubic foot one. It fits ok where the cabinet was, but would like it to be less than 6 inches away from the wall. Still it is way better than the old 12 volt cooler.

Put the microwave on top of it and a piece of styrofoam from the packaging between that and the upper cabinet. Seems sturdy enough :roll: Will see if it stays put on I-295 around Richmond later tonight.

Used both the fridge + microwave at the same time without any problems yet. Will be testing it out before spending big $$$ on food stuff.

Thanks for the great advice everyone,

Dan
Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danisawannabe
Got the OK from the shop to remove the cabinet. Didn't think it would be problem but better to ask first. The shop has the cabinet for safekeeping.(BTW it was 4 nuts on the back and 2 bolts on the floor).

Got the fridge last night. A GE 4.3 cubic foot one. It fits ok where the cabinet was, but would like it to be less than 6 inches away from the wall. Still it is way better than the old 12 volt cooler.

Put the microwave on top of it and a piece of styrofoam from the packaging between that and the upper cabinet. Seems sturdy enough :roll: Will see if it stays put on I-295 around Richmond later tonight.

Used both the fridge + microwave at the same time without any problems yet. Will be testing it out before spending big $$$ on food stuff.

Thanks for the great advice everyone,

Dan
Like I said earlier, I seriously recommend you put some sort of door lock on it, because it will attempt to open when you take a corner. I loved mine when I had it in the truck, and when I redo my sleeper, I may put one in again.