User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Topset
How are things looking for you guys up there in Albany, I know when I was a chef, Sysco was pretty relentless on order amounts when fuel prices began to climb that was over 4 years ago so I can only imagine what they are like now. Not to mention they just like any other company run for the bottom line only pure profit makes them smile... Here in Central Florida Sysco is non union, In Denver where I used to live they were teamsters and seemed to have a pretty strong hold on their contract and jobs.... Do you think you guys will be able to hold on during a strike and come out on top? I truly hope it works out for you. If I were driving now I would do my part as a fellow teamster to help you out, even if it means not delivering to Sysco in Central Florida we have that right with no fear of retrobution from management.... But senority has me and 7 other drivers working the docks....

Good luck and keep us informed...

Timberwolf
Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Rookie

90 minutes until we hit the line, tentative agreement is in with what we wanted...thank you
Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topset
90 minutes until we hit the line, tentative agreement is in with what we wanted...thank you
wow and did they pull out all the stops. president telling us the other morning our jobs wouldn't be here when we got back etc etc, pulled in 200+ bodies from other warehouses to cover, had scabs from other sysco houses ride with our drivers, id checks in the parking lot all sorts of horse chit. ads in the radio and paper for replacement workers. i really liked the certified letter i got today saying my job is still here, just RESIGN from the UNION and all would be good. lol, i'll scan n post a copy later. some good chit.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topset
just RESIGN from the UNION and all would be good.
And all will be good...for awhile. Then they'll start chipping away at overtime, benefits, work rules, etc and soon enough you'll be working for coolie wages.

I've seen it happen time and time again.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 AM

I gotta ask, to the guys saying jobs are leaving to China and places for cheap labor - ever think that if you stopped buying that cheap shit in WalMart and keept the mom and pop with American goods in business you wouldn't be losing those jobs?

No cheap freight and it should also be no cheap goods but every day there is a line up outside Wal Mart of people looking to spend American jobs away.

Dow is bumping 13,000 area, unemployment at lower level than the boom years of Clinton and union jobs are the only ones that are working? Puhleeeeze. Union jobs are at an all time minority, yet the average American is living in luxury like never before. Lots of people out there talking about how gosh they have to cut back to a 42 inch plasma instead of the 54, they only have 3 cell phones and cable in 2 of the bedrooms not all 4. Cry me a river.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Senior Board Member

What were the issues? Was it over Benefits?

Old 05-09-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
I gotta ask, to the guys saying jobs are leaving to China and places for cheap labor - ever think that if you stopped buying that cheap $&!+ in WalMart and keept the mom and pop with American goods in business you wouldn't be losing those jobs?

No cheap freight and it should also be no cheap goods but every day there is a line up outside Wal Mart of people looking to spend American jobs away.

Dow is bumping 13,000 area, unemployment at lower level than the boom years of Clinton and union jobs are the only ones that are working? Puhleeeeze. Union jobs are at an all time minority, yet the average American is living in luxury like never before. Lots of people out there talking about how gosh they have to cut back to a 42 inch plasma instead of the 54, they only have 3 cell phones and cable in 2 of the bedrooms not all 4. Cry me a river.
Yeh and what was the reason the government is sending out stimulus checks,I forgot.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
I gotta ask, to the guys saying jobs are leaving to China and places for cheap labor - ever think that if you stopped buying that cheap $&!+ in WalMart and keept the mom and pop with American goods in business you wouldn't be losing those jobs?

Yeh and what was the reason the government is sending out stimulus checks,I forgot.
The stimulus checks are being sent because this is an election year. It sure isn't going to help the economy.

kc0iv
Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
The stimulus checks are being sent because this is an election year. It sure isn't going to help the economy.

kc0iv
BRAVO !!!! BRAVO !!!!!

Something I agree 100% with kc0iv on !!!