User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 03:32 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Happy's.....
located on the south side of Carlsbad, NM.
Their hamburgers are awesome! and HUGE!
2 people could easily split one and have plenty.
You can even get it order with green chile, if ya like
chile peppers; and not priced bad either.

pronghornracer
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
GH writes long posts :wink:
Ugh.... Father in Sky say:

Long posts make better teepees! (Especially, if squaw is very tall!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star
When I was a kid, there was a department store called Grants in Tulare, Ca. Whenever my grandmother took me shopping there, we would get somethig to eat in the restaurant. I loved their cheeseburgers, and I have not found anything that tastes like them to this day. I can not even duplicate them at home. If anybody knows what their secret was, I would sure like to know.
Back in the 70's lots of stores had their own restaurants. I remember eating at the Walgreens cafe/diner. If you saw the television show Alice, it was like that. A cook in the back working the grill and a couple women working in the front. They had hand made milkshakes that were good.

Places like Portillo's and A&W make a good burger. I'm still searching for the best hamburger.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

My personal top pick would be the home 20. Enough said.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:
When I was a kid, there was a department store called Grants in Tulare, Ca
My dad used to be a regional manager for Grants back in Ohio back in the 70's. Believe it or not, I remember those burgers because there were a number of times where my brother and I would get to eat at the snack bar while dad had a meeting with a manager.

Thinking of burgers, though, I remember an oldy but a goody. We used to eat out a lot at Big Boy restuarants...I don't even know if they're around anymore. At least there are none out here in Iowa. :sad:

But back in Ohio, it was Frisch's Big Boy. They used to have a burger there called the Brawny Lad - it was on a rye bun and had a slab of onion on it. I'd always get that, some onion rings, and a slice of their strawberry pie. Dang good eats. 8)
If I am not mistaken I saw a couple of stores up in Michigan last time I was up there, I remember them as a kid in Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Still love Fudruckers, remember going to the original restaurant in Houston and was super happy when they started opening stores around the country.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

got another location with real good burgers and godly cinnamon rolls that could be compared to the second coming of [raptor] jesus.

it's johnson's corner (sinclair) here in loveland, colorado. it's along i-25, exit 254.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I had a good burger a few days ago in New Jersey. I wish I could recall the name. It was in a small town about 16 miles east of the Delaware bridge on hwy 40. There was a rotary next to the restaurant. Perhaps someone can tell me the name. I got loaded late in Vineland, so I had few options if I wanted to grab a bite. I parked across from the restaurant along side the roadway. I expected a burger. I got one large enough for two people along with a large order of fries and slaw. Had I known it was so large, I would have ordered one and split it with my wife. This place also makes their own pastries and bakery items. It is a nice place. Once back in the truck I noticed a sign on their lot that said "Trucks Welcome." That in itself was refreshing. Their burgers are not cheap. I believe that I paid about $17.00 for two plus 3 homemade cookies. The cookies were 3 for $1. Man, I am getting hungry thinking about it. There is one thing that I really appreciate in some areas of New England and the Northeast. There are not nearly as many fast food chain restaurants as in many other parts of the country. It is great to see so many independent restaurants. They usually have better food than the chains and welcome your business. I sure wish that I could recall the name of that restaurant. If I get back up to that part of the world, I need to stop in again.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Ruby's Diners in Southern California put out a really decent burger. Handmade, grilled right. They also make a mean malt. There used to be a small mom-and-pop chain (just a few stores) in the Long Beach area called "Russell's," and they made a burger that couldn't be beat. Unfortunately the family sold out and when I left that part of the world several years ago they just weren't the same at all. I believe there might still be one "Russell's" left, but it's been too long.

On the other hand, I just had one of Burger King's "Steakhouse" burgers. If I ever order one of those again, please shoot me, as that will be proof positive that I have clearly lost all will to live.