User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Rt. 30 & Rt 31 in Pennsylvania from Ligonier to Breezewood can be pretty bad, if your not careful.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Daylight
Any road can be a dangerous road, all depends on what is happening that moment. Take I10 between Las Cruces and Lordstown, and again between Phoenix and the California line. Longest straightest road you'd ever want to see. But when the wind comes up and the dust starts flying it's absolute hell and has claimed more than a few lives.

By sheer reputation, the passes out West get all the hype. Cabbage, Vail, Donner... Truth is, under good weather most of them are cake. During the iwnter, they can be hairy. Honestly, you don't get into the real eye openers until you get on the two lane roads. And that goes for the East as well as the West. Get off the beaten path in PA or WV and you'll see what I mean.
If your in the right gear should be no problems. I worry more about dangerous drivers than anything.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Monteagle on I-24 in Tennessee can be a bit of a challenge due to the grade. West bound isn't as bad as the eastbound side. Black Mountain on I-40 in North Carolina can get a little harry. Hwy 111 near Dunlap has claimed a lot of trucks over the years. There are a lot of steep roads on both coasts. Some of the two lane roads can be really challenging due to the sharp steep curves and narrow roads, in some cases.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 PM

All those mountain passes are OK until they are not. And by that I mean: just take your time going downhill! You probably see as well as I do, the crazy ones who go downhill in George Overdrive (or close to it) and cuss you out for going to slow on the CB. Well, it might go good for them maybe 10 times or maybe even 20 times, but 1 time it'll bite em in the ass because they are cocky and think nothing will happen to em and 'the downgrade is not so bad'. You can go slow down a mountain all the time but too fast only once. Then 4-wheelers are crazy everywhere so you just have to be prepared for anything, that's why you're supposed to be the professional. Never let your guard down and think of every road as dangerous.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Daylight
Any road can be a dangerous road, all depends on what is happening that moment. Take I10 between Las Cruces and Lordstown, and again between Phoenix and the California line. Longest straightest road you'd ever want to see. But when the wind comes up and the dust starts flying it's absolute hell and has claimed more than a few lives.

By sheer reputation, the passes out West get all the hype. Cabbage, Vail, Donner... Truth is, under good weather most of them are cake. During the iwnter, they can be hairy. Honestly, you don't get into the real eye openers until you get on the two lane roads. And that goes for the East as well as the West. Get off the beaten path in PA or WV and you'll see what I mean.
Dust storms eh?

Too many drivers continue to drive either in dangerous weather or tired for purely economic reasons. It isn't worth the extra few dollars if you wind up dead. Pull over and have a coffee or take a nap, for your sake and ours.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Board Regular

Thx for the map Whammo, now i see what you are talking about with the on/off ramps.

There are a Few of these that come to mind, Watt and Hwy 50 here in cali comes to mind. I hate this design of on/off ramps and it's obvious that who ever thought that it was a good idea has never driven anything bigger than a compact car, or better yet they probably don't drive at all. :roll:
Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Board Regular

I agree with Mikey4069 no matter if light or heavy long as your in the right gear there shouldnt be any problem, throw on your jake and enjoy the scenary.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
All those mountain passes are OK until they are not. And by that I mean: just take your time going downhill! You probably see as well as I do, the crazy ones who go downhill in George Overdrive (or close to it) and cuss you out for going to slow on the CB. Well, it might go good for them maybe 10 times or maybe even 20 times, but 1 time it'll bite em in the ass because they are cocky and think nothing will happen to em and 'the downgrade is not so bad'. You can go slow down a mountain all the time but too fast only once. Then 4-wheelers are crazy everywhere so you just have to be prepared for anything, that's why you're supposed to be the professional. Never let your guard down and think of every road as dangerous.
I agree 110 %
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 AM

I-94 just east of the Mattawan MI exit, near where I live it seems about once a week a car gets into it with a 4 wheeler or a solo truck accident. I don't know why when the weather is good but in winter it's very icy in that area.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Just about every road in West Virginia that isn't a 4-lane. Even a couple of the 4-lanes can be fun.
I have to agree with that! Most dangerous roads in the East are in West Virginia. The worst is Route 50, East of Clarksburg Wv to Winchester Va. Second is Sandstone, I64 East of Beckley.