User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere recently, that they are trying out a type of "fairing" or "fin" for the back of the trailer! Apparently, even the turbulence at the BACK of the rig is detrimental to fuel economy!

I wonder how it will affect what I call "trailer wash" sort of like prop wash? i.e: will it help or hinder the truck following TOO CLOSE behind?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Does running Teams help to balance things out :?:

I know there is a Company near where I work that runs teams...

They have Tri-Pacs (for the idle) and the trucks are very productive.

Basically the trucks run all the time and generate rolling revenue..

(just a thought) :arrow:
Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 AM

I think I saw an ad on one of these forums where you could run your truck on water ! :roll:
Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hellandback
I think I saw an ad on one of these forums where you could run your truck on water ! :roll:
There is technology available to be able to "ELECTROLIZE" oxygen and hydrogen out of water while you drive, then inject that into your intake. There is a company in Canada that makes and sells them. However, take a look at the drawing at this site...
http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?...D=134556169521
You'll notice that oxygen and hydrogen are together in the same tank. That's a BOMB, just waiting for an ignition source. Even static within the tank enclosure. The effect of that can be very easy to demonstrate for yourself. Take two balloons and an industrial cutting torch. Fill one with the gas, then light the torch and bring it to a neutral flame. Without changing any adjustments, douse the flame and use that to blow up the second balloon. Of course, tie off the balloons. Then take two paper shopping bags. Run a little candle wax down the side of each and put one balloon in each.

Then set them in a large open area... like a PLOWED FIELD with no dry grass. Light them. The one with only the gas will simply burn. But you will get a VERY LOUD BANG out of the other one. And, the larger the balloon, the bigger the BANG

In a car, that simply blows out the filter but in a truck, you'd better be carrying a few spares of those rubber couplings for the air ducts from your turbo to your intake. A few sets of clamps as well. With a Cummins, you may have a 500 horse, but blow one of them and lose turbo pressure and you may as well have a BRIGGS & STRATTON under your hood.

At the same time, the company in Canada that makes them, which start at $14,000 a copy, claims a 5% increase in fuel economy and a 30% reduction in solid particle matter in the exhaust. But it seems to me that you would really want your intake valves to be in excellent condition with NO LEAKAGE.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchgs
I don't think waxing your tractor will help. I suggest the same is true for airplanes, too.

Aircraft are generally... well... aerodynamic. Not a lot of bumps and dips to restrict airflow around the entire vehicle. But they do NOT have laminar airflow (well, some high-end corporate craft are starting to, but as a general rule, no)

This means that the air at the actual surface of the vehicle is turbulent. The cause of this is rivets, seams, and other manufacturing marks. Each of these is HUGE when compared to dust and road dirt.

Same is true of a truck - except that it's only moderately aerodynamic on 3 sides, not all sides.

There would be absolutely no measurable difference in speed or mpg.
Honestly, your thought is seriously flawed!

There have been numerous wind tunnel studies along those lines: waxed versus un-waxed, in all types of vehicles. Air and land based! NASCAR great Smokey Yunick applied the principle in the '60's, long before wind tunnel testing! Pure Carnuba waxes are the best for this!

Clean trucks run smoother though the wind than a dirty one! While minimal, a waxed truck will retain less road grime, thus reducing weight!

Professional swimmers go through great lengths to remove excess body hair from exposed skin, and apply a wax type substance to slide through the water! Ask any surfer the difference between a waxed and non-waxed board! I could go on, but you get the point!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Board Regular

So whenever I cruise with the window down, maybe I should shave my arms too? :P Just joking here.... :lol:

Sorry the nascar testing I don't buy it because driving a pepsi truck 55 mph in traffic has very little to do with 200 mph down the backstretch and drafting. Wouldn't the waxing be minimal at best at these slow speeds. Most drivers don't cruise with enough mud or dirt to really make a difference do they?

I have read about the aero tabs on trailers reducing turbulance and improving visibility in the rain. Never used them, but maybe pepsi should give them a try to see if the work. That seems more realistic and might reduce drag. Is anybody using them ?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
So whenever I cruise with the window down, maybe I should shave my arms too? :P Just joking here.... :lol:

Sorry the nascar testing I don't buy it because driving a pepsi truck 55 mph in traffic has very little to do with 200 mph down the backstretch and drafting. Wouldn't the waxing be minimal at best at these slow speeds. Most drivers don't cruise with enough mud or dirt to really make a difference do they?

I have read about the aero tabs on trailers reducing turbulance and improving visibility in the rain. Never used them, but maybe pepsi should give them a try to see if the work. That seems more realistic and might reduce drag. Is anybody using them ?
Drag coefficients come into play into anything that moves! In some more than others, but any effort to reduce them will result in a savings of energy!
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Board Icon

It's more efficient to ride with your windows up also, courtesy of Mythbusters on that one.

Kurbski, what about tiny Martinsville, no drafting there and they don't get over 120 mph. Cars are still waxed up like crazy. If the crew isn't doing anything mechanically on the car, they are waxing it. It gives you a smoother airflow, yes it may not be a major increase that you will see but over time it adds up.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchgs
I don't think waxing your tractor will help. I suggest the same is true for airplanes, too.

Aircraft are generally... well... aerodynamic. Not a lot of bumps and dips to restrict airflow around the entire vehicle. But they do NOT have laminar airflow (well, some high-end corporate craft are starting to, but as a general rule, no)

This means that the air at the actual surface of the vehicle is turbulent. The cause of this is rivets, seams, and other manufacturing marks. Each of these is HUGE when compared to dust and road dirt.

Same is true of a truck - except that it's only moderately aerodynamic on 3 sides, not all sides.

There would be absolutely no measurable difference in speed or mpg.
Honestly, your thought is seriously flawed!

There have been numerous wind tunnel studies along those lines: waxed versus un-waxed, in all types of vehicles. Air and land based! NASCAR great Smokey Yunick applied the principle in the '60's, long before wind tunnel testing! Pure Carnuba waxes are the best for this!

Clean trucks run smoother though the wind than a dirty one! While minimal, a waxed truck will retain less road grime, thus reducing weight!

Professional swimmers go through great lengths to remove excess body hair from exposed skin, and apply a wax type substance to slide through the water! Ask any surfer the difference between a waxed and non-waxed board! I could go on, but you get the point!
True but its is also true that the faster any object travels through air the more critical that body slickness becomes an object doing 70mph will see far less advantage than an object traveling 700 mph.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hellandback
True but its is also true that the faster any object travels through air the more critical that body slickness becomes an object doing 70mph will see far less advantage than an object traveling 700 mph.
Good point! But any advantage is better than none!
Author Unknown

OOIDA