User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Pay for haulin cars

I talk to alot of the car haulers here in San Diego, If you bust your hump you can make $120,000 a year (in a good economy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenworthw900l
i was wondering what the average pay would be for hauling cars and does it depend on what type of cars u haul? and would having a enclosed truck have a affect?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

How low will you work for? that is the ?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are a lot of variables when hauling cars, but you should be able to earn around $75M/year once you learn what you are doing. When I hauled cars most drivers could make from about $60-80M/year. Some of the more experienced drivers could earn as much as $120,000/yr. Most car hauler companies won't hire a driver until they have at least a couple of years driving experience. As far as the sway is concerned, you will get some of that due to the rig being top heavy. The other thing is that you must have a very steady hand on the steering wheel. If you constantly move the steering wheel back and forth then the trailer will reflect that movement. You will likely see more of this type of movement from a stinger rig than a high mount.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 PM

Like Gman, swaying is usaully cause by the loads being top heavy. I've never had a problem with it. I get alot of satisfaction in loading and unloading. Its like a puzzle that needs to be put togther. Most loads are simple once u get the concept of hauling cars, but u have some that will take u a few hours to get ready.

LET ME SAY THIS," if ur only looking @ the money side of it, you won't last long. As a newbie the stress level is very high and most don't make it out of training. Its not a dry box or a reefer. You have to pay attention @ all times. Any little thing can put a claim on a load. (Trees, lazy tuck drivers who dont pay attention; low bridges; gravel; power lines and etc) you must watch out for these things., because every damage counts. for every car u damage thats a negative on u and the company u pull for.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It takes time to learn how to stage a load of cars. It is fairly easy if you haul the same type of cars all the time. That is usually not the case. As Tobytob stated, if the only reason you want to haul cars is the money, then you probably won't last long. Hauling cars is one of the most physically demanding of any of the trucking segments. On a flat bed you have about 10 straps or chains with most loads. Some could take a few more. With a 10 car rig you will need to use 40 straps or chains. On top of that you will need to track your cars down if they are in an auction or port. That can be a real challenge if they are at an auction with a foot or so of snow on the ground. Still, many who do this type of driving enjoy it. Had I not gotten hurt, I would probably still be pulling cars around myself.