Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Pay for haulin cars (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33554-pay-haulin-cars.html)

kenworthw900l 04-20-2008 09:48 PM

Pay for haulin cars

i was wondering what the average pay would be for hauling cars and does it depend on what type of cars u haul? and would having a enclosed truck have a affect?

GMAN 04-21-2008 03:11 AM

Rates can vary widely depending on the type of cars and equipment used. Rates are usually less for auction cars and higher for new ones. Specialty or exotic cars hauled in an enclosed trailer will command higher rates than an open trailer. POV's (personal vehicles) can pay well.

Jimbpard 04-21-2008 04:00 AM

There's been an ad runing in the local paper for car haulers.
They claim $1400-$1800/week and home weekends. Dont sound bad, but thats not me.

nigeve 04-21-2008 12:53 PM

fcking hell... I didn't know there was that much money in trucking... I assume you need your own rig and trailor but all the same, that sounds like a good weeks pay in exchange for a weeks hard graft... Can't complain at that... Or am I missing something sitting over the pond in my office never seeing real daylight :roll:

Jimbpard 04-21-2008 04:52 PM

No, thats driving their equipment. Just as a company driver.

mdf1576 04-21-2008 09:04 PM

I know several guys who make 80 to 90,000 a year hauling new cars. They also routinely work 14 or more hour days. Its a big business down here in florida.

SlacTrac 04-21-2008 10:45 PM

Those rigs always catch my eye. They seem to go down the road bowing up and down and wiggling. I have often wondered if all that swaying and wiggling transmits to the steering wheel making it more of a challange to hold'er. I have also watched those guys load and unload the cars / trucks off it. They really work their a** off. Looks like a lot to learn to articulate that trailer just right to get'um on and off..........Is there any drivers here that do it? If so how does it feel going down the road and how's the work unloading and loading? :?: The Pay sure looks good!
-Jim

kenworthw900l 04-22-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlacTrac
Those rigs always catch my eye. They seem to go down the road bowing up and down and wiggling. I have often wondered if all that swaying and wiggling transmits to the steering wheel making it more of a challange to hold'er. I have also watched those guys load and unload the cars / trucks off it. They really work their a** off. Looks like a lot to learn to articulate that trailer just right to get'um on and off..........Is there any drivers here that do it? If so how does it feel going down the road and how's the work unloading and loading? :?: The Pay sure looks good!
-Jim

yea i would like to know this also.Is it a hard job? but it is worth the money considering

kenworthw900l 04-22-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlacTrac
-Jim

yea i would like to know this also.Is it a hard job? but it is worth the money considering

BuickTurbo 04-24-2008 01:55 AM

I haul cars for a dealership. It certainly is labor intensive. You have to pay particular attention to how you tie the cars down and check them constantly.

It is nerve racking, but I get to see some real nice cars and drive them (even if it is around the lot to a parking spot).

The truck seems to hold a line better when in traffic at 65 mph. When out on the IH and traffic is few and far between.....they get a lil' squirrelly. But then again, I have SRW tandems.