Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: jammers in company trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower
I know this company has some fast trucks because i was driving up to macon ga running about 74 and this one particular truck blew by me like i was sitting still he had to be doing at least 85-90 mph or maybe faster because he was in the far left lane passing four wheelers like they were sitting still also. this is a mail contractor company

It must have been AIR MAIL. :wink:
Old 04-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Chasing Daylight wrote:
Quote:
Now as to why the driver in the op was high balling it, I'm stumped. When one gets paid by the hour, driving fast only serves to cut down on ones hours and thus shrink ones paycheck. Makes no sense to me.
The answer to that is actually easy. Even though the driver is paid by the hour, the driver is still under pressure to get the load to the consignee by the appointed time. His job depends on it.

The "outlaw" driving is what is wrong with the industry. Drivers that run legal arent "blind" to what is happening with shippers/receivers pressuring drivers to run "outlaw". As long as this practice is accepted it will continue. If a driver is dispatched 850miles a day, the driver needs to say no...or run the load but advise dispatch that the load will be run legal. It will get there when my logbook and speedlimit says it gets there.

Fireman was just making a statement that it is possible to run legal and succeed in this industry, however, it takes a coordinated effort between dispatch/brokers, shippers/receivers and the driver to make it so. IMO drivers that give into the pressure or even thrive on running illegal is as much of a problem as the "cheap freight" that is so prevalent.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 AM

I'm not sure if outlaw freight is really the problem, or a result of a bigger problem. There is a minor, but prevalent dynamic in the industry that is often either overlooked or downplayed. Small fleets have to run higher dollar freight to cover overhead and make a profit. For good or bad, outlaw freight tends to pay better. If a shipper wnats his product delivered in an unreasonable amount of time, he'll often pay better for it. This is one way for a small fleet to survive, and it's an easier way than the other options (mostly specialized freight.) Even if the freight doesn't pay that high, a lot of fleets will try to turn it quick by bumping up dock appointments. If you can't make big bucks on a load, run more loads. As long as there is money in it, it will continue to happen, and as long as these companies make the deal sweet enough, there will always be drivers willing to run it. The hard truth is that the prevalence of cheap freight causes this problem as much as anything.

The future may look a lot different. If they push through EOBR requiremtns and 68mph mandated Governors, outlaw freight will be a thing of the past. I suspect when that happens, fully half of the small fleets will be bankrupt in short order. It will be a world of mega carriers and niche market players. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or a bad one.
And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Jammers

Besides, they don't work. Another scam perpetrated on ignorant drivers by people seeking a quick way to separate a driver's money from him.

Navy EWCS (E-8 electronic warfare tech) Carrier Electronic Warfare Officer (EWO), Carrier Assistant EWO. Spent from 1967 thru 1992 in the game.

P.S. Not only will a LEO take your "jammer", the company will probably take their job back. Travel light. BOL
Old 04-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Sealord is right. Most people are referring to Rocky Mountain Radar units as jammers. They are nothing but garbage. There are several forums out on the net and plenty of folks who have tested these units and you would have as much luck jamming with an RMR unit as if you used a brick taped to the dash. They are just junk... And they are illegal in a commercial vehicle(not because they actually jam, but because they have a cheapo radar detector in it).

Why risk your job over a piece of garbage? I run a Valentine in my car, but wouldn't risk it in a truck. If you want some good info on this topic for your personal use or hobby then I would check out radardetector.net and guysoflidar.com. Besides all of that with the cost of fuel these days just slow down and save yourself and your company some bucks.

Longsnowsm
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Chasing Daylight wrote:
Quote:
Now as to why the driver in the op was high balling it, I'm stumped. When one gets paid by the hour, driving fast only serves to cut down on ones hours and thus shrink ones paycheck. Makes no sense to me.
The answer to that is actually easy. Even though the driver is paid by the hour, the driver is still under pressure to get the load to the consignee by the appointed time. His job depends on it.

The "outlaw" driving is what is wrong with the industry. Drivers that run legal arent "blind" to what is happening with shippers/receivers pressuring drivers to run "outlaw". As long as this practice is accepted it will continue. If a driver is dispatched 850miles a day, the driver needs to say no...or run the load but advise dispatch that the load will be run legal. It will get there when my logbook and speedlimit says it gets there.

Fireman was just making a statement that it is possible to run legal and succeed in this industry, however, it takes a coordinated effort between dispatch/brokers, shippers/receivers and the driver to make it so. IMO drivers that give into the pressure or even thrive on running illegal is as much of a problem as the "cheap freight" that is so prevalent.
And I say Amen to that!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

What are the prescribed penalties for having a Radar Detector in a CMV?

edit
Hey......I made it to Senior Trucker.......only took me almost 4 years! I wonder if I'll feel different tomorrow
Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't see anything from the OP in the first post about the drivers being paid hourly.

Regardless, I don't run a jammer or radar detector. If I'm in a rush 5 over is about it, and only in certain non-congested areas.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Hey......I made it to Senior Trucker.......only took me almost 4 years! I wonder if I'll feel different tomorrow
You will. Better get some Advil for those aches and pains. :lol: