Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   jammers in company trucks (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33549-jammers-company-trucks.html)

dieselpower 04-20-2008 05:44 PM

jammers in company trucks

my friend told me that the company he drives for has had numerous violations for drivers using jammers in their trucks. It has gotten so bad that the company sent out a news letter stating that if any driver is caught with a jammer or detector you will be fired no questions about it. they say this goes against the company DOT records and the driver record. I know this company has some fast trucks because i was driving up to macon ga running about 74 and this one particular truck blew by me like i was sitting still he had to be doing at least 85-90 mph or maybe faster because he was in the far left lane passing four wheelers like they were sitting still also. this is a mail contractor company and i was wondering are they under different standards as far as speed of the trucks. do they govern their trucks because it is hard for me to pass this company truck even at 74.

04-20-2008 06:25 PM

Re: jammers in company trucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselpower
my friend told me that the company he drives for has had numerous violations for drivers using jammers in their trucks. It has gotten so bad that the company sent out a news letter stating that if any driver is caught with a jammer or detector you will be fired no questions about it. they say this goes against the company DOT records and the driver record. I know this company has some fast trucks because i was driving up to macon ga running about 74 and this one particular truck blew by me like i was sitting still he had to be doing at least 85-90 mph or maybe faster because he was in the far left lane passing four wheelers like they were sitting still also. this is a mail contractor company and i was wondering are they under different standards as far as speed of the trucks. do they govern their trucks because it is hard for me to pass this company truck even at 74.

I drive for a mail contractor here part-time on Sundays. The runs by federal law I believe must be paid hourly at a prevailing wage. This one pays $23.00/hr. It's an easy-money run...just hop on the turnpike and turn and burn. The truck is ungoverned but I don't push it...I keep it at a steady 65 mph on the pike.

And yes, it's illegal to run a bird dog in any commercial vehicle nationwide. Your CB is the best tool for finding the bears. It's always proved more beneficial in that regard than any bird dog unit.

BigWheels 04-20-2008 06:29 PM

Re: jammers in company trucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselpower
my friend told me that the company he drives for has had numerous violations for drivers using jammers in their trucks....I know this company has some fast trucks because i was driving up to macon ga running about 74 and this one particular truck blew by me like i was sitting still he had to be doing at least 85-90 mph or maybe faster because he was in the far left lane passing four wheelers like they were sitting still also....

Hmmm...sounds to me like the company should be more concerned with the speed of their trucks (hello governor!) than the jamming ability of a driver's equipment. Think it through.... Just sayin'!

Uturn2001 04-20-2008 06:46 PM

There really is no call for a mail truck to be going that fast. While there is not a lot of screw off time built into those runs, there is more than enough time to get to your destination and take a break every few hours while in route.

Anyway I know of several companies that have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to jammers or radar detectors and will fire you if they even see one in the truck.

Malaki86 04-20-2008 06:56 PM

All I know is that if I was being paid $23/hr, I'd run 100% legal. I def wouldn't be trying to get my job done faster.

Kurbski 04-20-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86
All I know is that if I was being paid $23/hr, I'd run 100% legal. I def wouldn't be trying to get my job done faster.

:lol: :lol:

CaliTrucker 04-20-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86

Well said, Malaki86, well said :mrgreen: 8)

04-20-2008 11:39 PM

what exactly does his run and pay have to with the question that was raised???? and why does he need to work extra since his big time union gig pays so well, and we should all quit any other driving job to get one like his?? he rags my job but i don't have to work two jobs.

fireman932003 04-21-2008 01:01 AM

Why does everyone feel the need to speed? I just don't get it. If you just run the speed limit then you would not have to worry about getting pulled over and getting a ticket OR the company finding out that you have a "Bird Dog" in the truck and firing you. I run the speed limit every time and I still get there on time with time to spare. Its called proper trip planning. Plus I still earn a decent wage in the process.

Chasing Daylight 04-21-2008 02:27 AM

Not everyone feels the need to speed Fireman, but some do. So you make all your runs on time and never speed. I'm betting you've never been dispatched at 850 miles a day. Understand I'm not endorsing or condoning anything here, but it's totally short sighted of you to somehow believe that the entire industry works just like your job. The truth of the matter, a truth that everyone is afraid to admit in public, is that there are still a lot of outlaws out there, and likely always will be (unless the feds mandate governors on all trucks, which is coming soon.) Most guys do it for the money. The hard truth is that you can make a lot of cash quick by pushing the limits, especially if you are getting a percentage of the load. There are other guys that do it for the adrenaline rush. Some guys just can't sit at truck stops all day, they have a need to be running and running hard. These people still exist, and there are plenty of companies that wil lgladly put them to work and let them run. Maybe it's not the safest thing in the world, maybe it's not a good image for the industry, but it is reality.

Now as to why the driver in the op was high balling it, I'm stumped. When one gets paid by the hour, driving fast only serves to cut down on ones hours and thus shrink ones paycheck. Makes no sense to me.