45-60 min 10 41.67%
1 hr -1.5 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I just went for my Whiz Quiz today for A JOB THATS 35-45MIN AWAY.Pays $170 a day some days are 7 hr, some 8-10. Its mainly Monday to Friday occasional Saturday. I tried the job out for 2 days as a helper and I liked the job.(redemption/recycling pick up)
Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjollyrob
Thanks, I just went for my Whiz Quiz today for A JOB THATS 35-45MIN AWAY.Pays $170 a day some days are 7 hr, some 8-10. Its mainly Monday to Friday occasional Saturday. I tried the job out for 2 days as a helper and I liked the job.(redemption/recycling pick up)
Sounds like a good gig. Jobs like those are slim-pickens nowadays. Most outfits want to run you into the ground for fastfood per-hour pay with no OT.

I say toss out them damn logbooks and put everyone on the clock...with OT after 8/40. That's the only way to truck...clock-time beats mileage pay anyway you slice it!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjollyrob
Sounds like a good gig. Jobs like those are slim-pickens nowadays. Most outfits want to run you into the ground for fastfood per-hour pay with no OT.

I say toss out them damn logbooks and put everyone on the clock...with OT after 8/40. That's the only way to truck...clock-time beats mileage pay anyway you slice it!
YES SIR IT DOES. Its worth the 35-45 min drive
Old 04-16-2008, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Right now, I stuck with the same problem.

I live within 20 minutes of my work, but in July, I'm moving to Granbury, which is around 75-80 miles from my work.

So in July, I either have to get a better car as far as mpg goes, or get a different job....

Now, there are other fuel tanker jobs closer to where I will be living in July, and they all pay about the same. Plus, being carded at the local terminals will be a big plus for getting hired quickly.

But I like the people I work for now. And the pay is not bad. I'm still guarantee $1500 per payday, so it's not bad. And i don't have to start over again.

So I hope you do well with your decision. I'll let you all know what I do when the time comes.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
My local job is 1.7miles away so if i got to be there at 630am i can leave my house at 625 and still be on time. 8)
Same here Mackman, my "trek" to work is right at 4.5 miles. I have considered finding another job, but of course nothing else has come close to paying me enough to drive another 45 to 60 minutes just to get to work, and i sure as h*** don't want to have to mess around with Sacramento traffic all day, then drive probably 1.5 to 2 hours home depending traffic.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
I am running local currently, and the boss lets me bring home the tractor and trailer. otherwise i would have to commute 22 miles in my own car and on my own dime just to pick up the truck each morning.

however, he seems to think its ok to call me at 06:00 AM on the phone, hell i am just waking up by then. not a god time to talk to me on the phone.
What happened with swift, rokk? Sorry to hijack.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Rookie

i agree with lebron james, go on the clock. ot after 8 and 40. he is an f'ing genius. i think he should be head of the DOT he is so smart. he could really change things in this industry, right on brother. lets all get on the clock so all the lazy basturds can milk the clock and get overtime they do not actually earn, and then that way the companies will be justified when the can all of us and give our jobs to mexicans. hell it worked for the autoworkers. they kept getting more and more for less and less work and now they are living the gravy train sitting on the porch while some guy in mexico does their job for...as you put it...slave wages. lebron james...you are a god damn genius. keep up the good work!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josborn
Right now, I stuck with the same problem.

So I hope you do well with your decision. I'll let you all know what I do when the time comes.
Thanks, I'll call the manager back on friday to see if they got my results and I start on monday. Its only 35-45 min away and I think the pay is very good. Keep me posted
Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy
i agree with lebron james, go on the clock. ot after 8 and 40. he is an f'ing genius. i think he should be head of the DOT he is so smart. he could really change things in this industry, right on brother. lets all get on the clock so all the lazy basturds can milk the clock and get overtime they do not actually earn, and then that way the companies will be justified when the can all of us and give our jobs to mexicans. hell it worked for the autoworkers. they kept getting more and more for less and less work and now they are living the gravy train sitting on the porch while some guy in mexico does their job for...as you put it...slave wages. lebron james...you are a god damn genius. keep up the good work!!!

Keep on trucking for peanuts buddy one day you may understand. :roll:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Board Regular

Well, believe it or not, Mackman...he's right.

If every company out there paid as well as these hourly jobs do, one of two things would happen....

1. the economy would grind to a screeching halt due to the enormous increase in the cost of freight or:
2. They'd find(or import) drivers who would be willing to do it for less, and those insisting on their high wages would end up jobless.

If it weren't for the OTR carriers, our economy would not be anything like it is today; it would more closely resemble that of most of Europe. Over there, they have strict laws on how much and how long someone can work, and how much they can get paid. This kind of thinking is stifling their economy.

It's economics, plain and simple.