Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   How far for local job (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33465-how-far-local-job.html)

bigdaddyjollyrob 04-15-2008 01:32 AM

How far for local job

How far is too far to drive to start work? I've looked into some local jobs in the surrounding states. Some are 60 min away or more but pay well. With the price of gas sky rocketing how far is too far to drive to get the job? Thanks

Evinrude 04-15-2008 01:38 AM

All depends on what you you call good money. Shirley you can make that decision on your own.

vavega 04-15-2008 01:39 AM

some days it won't be the price of gas, but how tired you are. 14+ hours and then an hour drive home? ha! then be back in 10 from when you clocked out, NOT when you got home. :? :!:

matcat 04-15-2008 02:15 AM

Could get super lucky and find a local that lets you bring the tractor home ;)

rigidsporty 04-15-2008 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by vavega:
some days it won't be the price of gas, but how tired you are. 14+ hours and then an hour drive home? ha! then be back in 10 from when you clocked out, NOT when you got home. :? :!:

Yea, what he said! 14 hours work + one hour there + one hour back = 8 hours to eat, sleep, spend time with the kids, sh*t, shower, shave, and snuggle with the wife/girlfriend (or husband/boyfriend as the case may be).

BUT... it all depends on your priorities.

RottsATruckin 04-15-2008 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Evinrude:
All depends on what you you call good money. Shirley you can make that decision on your own.

I think his name is Rob, so stop calling him Shirley :lol:

I wouldn't drive more than 45 minutes, you can always get a higher MPG vehicle to offset the cost of gas but the time is the real factor here.

Rokk 04-15-2008 03:44 AM

I am running local currently, and the boss lets me bring home the tractor and trailer. otherwise i would have to commute 22 miles in my own car and on my own dime just to pick up the truck each morning.

however, he seems to think its ok to call me at 06:00 AM on the phone, hell i am just waking up by then. not a god time to talk to me on the phone.

Mackman 04-15-2008 08:31 PM

My local job is 1.7miles away so if i got to be there at 630am i can leave my house at 625 and still be on time. 8)

bigdaddyjollyrob 04-15-2008 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Evinrude:

I asked the question because it hasn't been asked and if it helps me or someone else out then thats great. Of course I can and will make the decision on my own but hey you might have a different way of looking at the situation that I didnt think of or other nebw didnt think of. Thanks shirley I mean Rob. lol

bigdaddyjollyrob 04-15-2008 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by vavega:

Great point, That seems to come up from a lot of drivers. Thanks
rigidsporty,Thanks
RottsATruckin Thanks