User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Mackman needs some advice

Well i just got a job offer that is very very good. Drving for SUNOCO. The pay starts at 19.85hr and at the end of your 1st year you will be at 21.65 and 2 years at full rate which is 23.90/hr. A buddy of mine works there and says he can get me in. I dont have my hazmat but i know i can get it if i just study the book. This is what it says about the job off their website.

Description: Make gasoline deliveries to local area service stations within terminal complex delivery area. Nights and weekends are usually required. NO OVERNIGHTS, 40 hour workweek, overtime available. Requirements: Must have Class A CDL, tanker & hazmat endorsements, and the ability to lift 50-75 lbs. You must have a clean driving record, and be able to clear a background check pursuant to local, state and federal rules regarding transport of hazardous goods. 2 years tanker experience preferred. We offer a competitive compensation package including performance incentives. Benefits include: Medical, dental, 401K, pension plan, disability plans, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, paid vacations and holidays.

With the pay and benefits i cant beat that. But the problem is its working Nights and weekends. I hate both of them. I am a M-F 5am- till quiting time type of guy. I will work saturdays here and there if it is OT. But with the pay and benefits i think i might have to man up and deal with it.

The other problem is i love where i work now. But i only get 18/hr and 1 week paid vac. You can be there 20 years and still only get 1 week vac. My boss is great never calls me leaves me alone and it is a nice small family own company no big company BS to put up with. But money talks and BS walks. I think i could get another 1/hr out of him but that would be it. I would just like to get some of your guys advice thats all. In the mean time im going to study and get my hazmat to have anyway. Thanks mackman.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member

you have to decide how much being happy is worth to you, Nights and weekends can be tough cuz you miss out on so many family things. Also changing over to nights and hauling gas... no room for error . We had an accident here a couple years ago fairly new tanker driver took a turn to fast and rolled and burned down several houses.He lived but 1 old lady did not
Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

well thats the thing im only 24 so i like my weekends and going to bar getting all drunk and rowdy GOOD TIMES. I think i will miss out on alot of good times with friends and family. But then again looking at what i get now and seeing what i could get it makes ya think. Last company i was at had over 4,000 guys and when i left i said to my self i will never work for a mega company again. Well Sunoco aint much better lol.

I like the small outfits. Im really happy where i am at right now and it does mean alot to me. I dunno im going to talk it over with my dad and some other people.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Mackman my opinion and needs in life may not match yours but I'll offer it anyway. :lol: If you keep doing what you've always done you'll keep getting what you've always got. Take the job. The bar will always be there. The next 5-10 years are going to fly by. You can be a tanker driver at Sunoco with seniority, paid time off, a day shift, no weekends, and a nice pension. Or you could still be doing what your doing now. You wont always be the low man on the board, you're young, time will go by quickly. Or do LTL. Same pay and bennies. No weekends usually. Thats what I do because I hate weekends too. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Mackman my opinion and needs in life may not match yours but I'll offer it anyway.
Thats all im askin for snowman thanks for your opinion. Well im going to talk to my buddy more and some of my fellow drivers i know.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well...I encouraged you to do Tugs...soooo...I'm kinda lousy at this. :P

Now...wimmin
...umm nope... I am usually out of my league there... too. ops:

awah...I got nuthin'. :?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL i know you need roadhog but the tugs where just not me. I need to be in a truck. I wish i liked tugs i could make alot more $$$$ at it. But being happy means alot to me.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I say take Sunoco. Nothing against mom n pop companies, but they typically don't pay as well and offer poor benefits and usually a non-existent retirement. You're 24 and if you can get in now, you'll be setting the ground work for a good career and a good retirement.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Mackman, it sounds like your gig right now is pretty good however I have a few things for you to think about.

1. The bottom is falling out of the dump business. How long till it affects your current company?

2. What happens(god forbid) if something happens to your current boss, such as death or just retirement? You job will be gone tomorrow.

3. No benefits? You know things start going down hill soon, you are really gonna want health care.

My vote is for Sunoco. Put in your time, get some senority and before you know it you will have all you want and more. Besides, you should stop drinking, it will only get you in trouble and you will have more money to spend. :lol:
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Well Brandon, I'm in the same kind of boat as you.
OPTION 1: I could be home everynight so I can stare across the living room at my wife, get drunk and check out a band every weekend, and go fishing any night I wanted to, but have a mediocore paying job with shitty or no benefits.

OPTION 2: Take the job at NEMF, not be home every night, not guaranteed both weekend days home, BUT the pay is awesome, 100% benefits for my whole family, quarterly safety bonuses, 401k match, etc etc. Plus I know that they are hiring 6 people after they hire me, so I'll already have slight seniority over 6 people, and atleast I wont be at the complete bottom of the list when they call to offer you what runs are available.

Now as much as I wanna be young and go to the bar, go night fishin, hunting whenever I want to, be home to suck face with the wife, play with the kids, I know that in the big picture this is a hell of an opportunity for me, and after I get some seniority, I will have a nice dedicated run from Pittsburgh to Columbus, OH and back or something sweet like that. I figure I've slid by so far in the industry without going to any god forsaken school, never had to do OTR, so me and you have already done shit that 99% of other havent. Time to put our nose to the ground and and start grindin it out. It'll be worth it in the big picture. Go Sunoco. The Official Fuel Of NASCAR.

Adapt and overcome.