User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This is a really good opportunity and I would jump on it...but that's me. I guess you just have to figure out if the money is worth not seeing your friends on the weekends. The job I just took has weekend work and I only get 34 hrs of my weekend at home. That time is usually spent catching up on all the things I needed to do around the house. So, basically I hung out with the boys once or twice since the beginning of 08'. It sucks but I really need the money, so it's worth it to me. I'm only 24 and I just bought a house last year so it's rough.

My advice would be to stay with the job you have now for a couple of years and live your life. I think I made a mistake but putting too much responsibility on my shoulders too early in life...now I have no life but work...and it pisses my g/f off cuz I never see her and she lives with me. So what I'm trying to say is have fun partying while you can and then when it gets old check back in with your inside connection. Best of luck to ya.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member

mt g/f is not a big supporter of the sunoco job. My dad says do what ever makes me happy. I think im going to stay where im at now for the time being. I have fun at work and look forward to it. I think at 1st sunoco wouldnt be bad. But working every weekend will get old fast.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Board Member

You didnt mention the most important part.....do they drive MACK trucks?????
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
You didnt mention the most important part.....do they drive MACK trucks?????
LOL no they dont its all Freightliners. But i will drive anything if the money is right. :wink:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Traitor!!! LOL
Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Mackman;

The decision is ultimately yours to make.

Yes, the pay is better, and as "Snowman" said, you can move up in seniority over time.

As far as the graveyard thing?? That can be very difficult for some people to adjust to. How quckly can you adjust, and can you drive safely while you are adjusting??

When I ran OTR, I drove at night every chance I got, but that was a matter of personal choice. At the same time, I was always tired. At the same time you may well discover that you spend less of your paycheck!!

As far as being a 24 y/o party animal??

You are at an age where you can be building your financial future. Getting drunk in the bars will serve to make your belly fat, and your wallet thin.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Board Regular

Mackman, You said you are running some of the heavy equipment for this guy right now and are getting the opportunity to do it more often right?
You already know how to run dump trucks and I'm guessing low boys transporting equipment.

Get your experience where your at for another year and try to go to a UNION as an operating engineer apprentice. With experience it may wind up expediting your training program. Check out PA for operating engineers and see what they make per hour and the benefits.

If you haven't already checked into it.

I don't see much for dozer or dumptruck work in the middle of the night around here do you over there?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
I don't see much for dozer or dumptruck work in the middle of the night around here do you over there?
That's because Wisconsin has to import a crowd if they want a traffice jam!!! :wink:
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
Mackman, You said you are running some of the heavy equipment for this guy right now and are getting the opportunity to do it more often right?
You already know how to run dump trucks and I'm guessing low boys transporting equipment.

Get your experience where your at for another year and try to go to a UNION as an operating engineer apprentice. With experience it may wind up expediting your training program. Check out PA for operating engineers and see what they make per hour and the benefits.

If you haven't already checked into it.

I already checked into all of this LOL. I do run lowboys now also. operating engineers in the philly area make big bucks like 35/hr+ depending on the equipment. Thats one of the reason i want to stick it out is cuz my boss is the MAN. He is letting me run all shorts of his equipment when he can. Yesterday i run a CAT 325 trackhoe loading a crasher. Like i said i think im going to stick it out here atlest for a year i already been here 7 months.

The only time a dump truck works nights is on highway work like 1-95 the turnpike stuff like that. Most of them work sunday ngiht to thursday night. SO i still get my friday and saturday nights lol.