User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tailgating

The two truck lengths is about right for best fuel saving. That is too close for the truck. Four wheelers draft all the time, but most don't really know what they are doing, become transfixed with the back of the trailer and are dangerous. However, done well, the savings for a four wheeler of just about any size can be from 10-20%. That's real money for someone who drives 30000 miles a year on the interstates (in his mind) until he runs up under a truck.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Most drivers who do that are trying to save fuel. And they do. It's called drafting. Your breaking the wind for them, and creating a vacuume for their rig to fit into. In return, your rig works harder, using more fuel, while they "get pulled" down the road, saving themselves some fuel. The idea is to increase their fuel mileage per gallon.
You have been watching to much NASCAR.

Most company drivers care less about fuel savings. They tailgate because they are STUPID.You see 2 or 3 company trucks running so close together it's scary. Maybe the one in front is the only one that knows the way and the others are afraid of getting lost.

So this drafting theory is the reason they run just a few feet behind four wheelers?

Best tailgating I ever saw was three bull haulers running a few feet apart, front truck lost a tire, second truck had his crossover line knocked of by the gator, didn't seem to be saving much fuel as it ran out on the ground, take a long time to save enough fuel to pay for repairs and the EPA clean up.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldisnotenough
maybe you have a nice shiny hiney!
thats not right :lol: :lol:
Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

in what way?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty
Most company drivers care less about fuel savings. They tailgate because they are STUPID.You see 2 or 3 company trucks running so close together it's scary. Maybe the one in front is the only one that knows the way and the others are afraid of getting lost.

So this drafting theory is the reason they run just a few feet behind four wheelers?

Best tailgating I ever saw was three bull haulers running a few feet apart, front truck lost a tire, second truck had his crossover line knocked of by the gator, didn't seem to be saving much fuel as it ran out on the ground, take a long time to save enough fuel to pay for repairs and the EPA clean up.
Well said.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: why do fellow drivers tailgate? is there an actual reas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Road Warrior
To save fuel?
To use me as bear bait?
To think I will actually speed up?
You forgot one:

Talking on the damn phone, totally oblivious to what's going on.

Which seems to be the normal state for everyone behind the wheel of a vehicle these days. Even cops. I actually saw a cop talking on the phone while shooting radar.

I can imagine that conversation.

"Oops. Sorry Bill, what was you sayin'? I had to write me a speedin' ticket."
Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty

Well said.
Agree! One time, while running down I35 south of San Antonio, I had a Pete crawling up my back side for several miles. I finally informed him on the CB that I really was not in that homosexual stuff and I would appreciate he get off my *&%. Of course I got the usual "you drive your truck, I'll drive mine". I informed him that I had a real compassion for animals and that there were several (fictitious) kittens and puppies crossing the road and that I may have to lock up the wheels to avoid them. I also made him aware that he had 53' of trailer to get to me, but I had only 6' of hood to get to him and that he ought to stay right there. I then turned off the CB and waited... in about 15-20 seconds I saw that he was increasing the distance between us. Guess since I didn't respond to the rant he probably was expressing, he thought it might be better to back out of it. Who knows, but it worked.