User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ya for sure but it seems like ever one I find they want experience and cant seem to get on.I would rather stay here with my family but you got to do what you got to do sometimes, dont like it but I guess thats the way of the world!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
Ya for sure but it seems like ever one I find they want experience and cant seem to get on.I would rather stay here with my family but you got to do what you got to do sometimes, dont like it but I guess thats the way of the world!
I started with Baylor Trucking right out of school. It wasn't my cup of tea and I left after 2 months. I got a phone call from a lady at my driving school (SAGE) telling me that a certain outfit is looking for local drivers. I saw their info at the school but didn't really think about calling them. Now I drive local and am very happy with my situation.

However, I'll say this. Being with a trainer and solo for a very short period of time makes me appreciate the job I have now. It is tough for a married family man to do OTR, especially with a young family. My father in law has been an OTR driver for 25 years. My wife knows the deal and was against me going OTR. As a matter of fact she begged me not to. I convinced her to look at the long term, meaning that I'll get my year in and move on to a local job. She bit the bullet, as did I, and I made my move.

Well, if you haven't noticed 2 months is nowhere close to a year. It wasn't worth it to me.

A lot of it also depends on where you live. I happen to live in a perfect location (big city, in middle of major freight lanes) where truck driving jobs are abundant and pay well. Get the yellow pages out, look under trucking and start making phone calls. Go down to the terminals in person and talk to whomever is in charge. You might get lucky that way.

I wish you luck and hope you find yourself a good job.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for the advice, all I know is I want to drive and to tell you the truth I'm probaly only going to do like 6 months because I have like 6 months local (from florida I moved to Texas recently) and hopefully get a good local job, well thats the plan anyways!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Board Icon

Jayburd made a good point, about driving a dump truck, or concrete truck. I dont know how far "north of Dallas" you live, but there are several local concrete hauling companies north of Dallas. Decatur is full of them. :lol:

I'm not a recruiter by any means, and I dont mean to sound like one, but if you want to stay local, and want awesome benefits, give SYSCO Dallas a call. It's weird hours, and hard work, but the money is there.

I noticed you said that you just moved to Texas, from Florida. I forgot to say, Welcome to Texas. Howdy! :P Man, my hat's off to ya. You moved right into the most wonderful place to drive around in. :P I wouldnt live in that mess, and half of my family lives there. :P :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Board Regular

Ya I love it here I will never go back and I lived there all my life, dont SYSCO want a years experience?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatson
dont SYSCO want a years experience?
I've never heard that, but that doesnt mean that Dallas does. Like our guys in Lubbock, they train drivers for 3 weeks, no matter how much experience they have. In fact, they just hired a guy to run line haul with me. He has about 4 months under his belt. He worked for an LTL company for about 4 months, and then got laid off. They just spent 3 weeks riding with him every night. As bad as everyone needs drivers, I couldnt see SYSCO Dallas hiring only experienced drivers. You might give them a call, and see.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Board Regular

Is there a certain number to call, or just call the office?