User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Im drowning like you wouldnt believe

So anyway, i got my cdl in june of 07 and tried my hardest to find a company to work for. I have a clean vehicle record, 1 speeding ticket 5 years ago for 5 mph over. I am 21 years old and live in Maine.

Unable to find a job I joined with Werner in nov 6th in 07. I have gone through absolute hell. A mcdonalds employ at 16 yrs old makes more money fulltime than I do. I got done training, not even going into the hell that was, and finally got my own truck and been at it for over 2 months.

Since nov6th, I have been home 2 days for christmas and 2 weeks ago I was home for 3 days. Thats it, 5 days off in 4 months. I asked for 4 days off instead of 3 since I was out 6 weeks and they said no, demanded I was in my truck at noon the 3rd day.

Start out at .26cpm, and not even going into the horrible BS that werner is, I am not being payed enough. Every day im out here working the farther in debt I go. I do not make enough to live out here nor pay bills at home. The 2 months I have had my own truck I average 900miles a week. I had one 2900 mile week and the rest are 500-700 miles usually. They had me pick up a load that delivers 126 miles away, got it on friday and the con didnt open till monday so I had to sit on it for 3 days. I was so pissed off. This kind of BS happens all the time. My best check so far was like 560 bucks takehome, and my worst was 8 bucks.

with 4 months experience, still 21 yrs old, do I have to continue this poop train of a job?

also, I have been doing good except I had to drop a trailer off at a werner dropyard and it was all mud so deep, when I dropped trailer I could not pull out of it and tried everything and ended up having to call breakdown to pull me out. They sent a tow truck, will this hurt me later on?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member

1st. getting stuck in the yard in mud shouldn't be a problem.
Why o why do drivers agree to p_ss poor pay like that. ok thats out of the way. Get ahold of your dispatch/manager and explain that you can't go on like this and have actual logs and trip mi to show them. As far as home time 1 day for 6 out you tell them when you want it and you should get in about that time :roll: but once your there take the time time you've got coming. And if none of this works/helps start checking for a new Co. BUT WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT JUST WALK AWAY FROM YOUR TRUCK!! An abandonmentwill follow you forever. check out local Co. in your area and BOL
Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Board Icon

I don't know much about Werner, but they have several "divisions." Sounds like you are in the ?National? division, but because of your age, can't go out of state. Don't they have "dedicated" runs that are within your state and could keep you running more?

If not, I suggest you look for LOCAL work until you are older. Werner is one of the worst companies for pay and miles (that I know of.)

Wish you the best. Like was said, talk to your manager. Look for other jobs. No offense, but people who get CDL's at such a young age, really hinder themselves. Hopefully, some of the younger ones on here can give you more help.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM

I agree with repete! Whatever you do, don't abandon your truck. Return it to Omaha that way you don't mess up your DAC. And get a receipt or something written on which it states you returned the truck so they can't screw you over.

And it might be a problem considering your experience to get another job, but I would certainly try. I mean there are companies like Crete who start with higher pay, but you said you have 8 months experience? They might require you to go out with a trainer for 8 weeks first, at any company, but I don't know this for sure. Just call some recruiters and ask what their startpay is. If you can get a better job, tell them you can be at orientation say 2 weeks from that day, and make sure you can return the truck.

I wish you good luck, because you're right: you don't have to take it. Also I don't think the mud-in-yard ought to give you problems. You just got stuck and needed help to get out; you didn't wreck anything.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM

P.S. I didn't know you can't go out of state because of your age, but in that case I'd call Crete for sure as they are in Omaha also.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Dont know if Im trusting this poster. Possible troll, but could be wrong. Ill wait for him/her to reply again. 1 speeding ticket 5yrs ago, makes poster 16yrs old. Is that old enough, in Maine, to have a Drivers license??

Even for OTR with Werner his miles seem WAY off, not disputing just suspicious. 500-700 miles per week, Im doubting this. Truck needs to produce revenue for the company, thats to much sitting. His FM and Load Planner would be reamed if this was really accurate.

If your post is really accurate, Please prove me wrong.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Senior Board Member

He can drive out if state as long as he is 21+, which he says he is. Thats not a problem.

Let this be yet another note to the soon-to-be's that you should research the company you sign with. Not all are created equal.

What I would do if I was you, is start calling recruiters tell them your training experience, and otr experience. Dont bad mouth werner to them. Just tell them the facts, and you can not do it like that anymore. Dont quit werner until you have a set orientation date in writing. then give them a 2 weeks notice, return truck and all fuel cards or anything else they assigned you.
I agree, you cant be running like that.
Pick up a few books at a truck stop and start calling. Today.

Best of luck to ya. Keep us posted.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
He can drive out if state as long as he is 21+, which he says he is. Thats not a problem.
ops: ops: My bad! Being as old as dirt, I don't pay real close attention to posts about these things. For some reason, I was thinking some posts along time ago said you had to be 23 or something. :roll:

If he's old enough to go out of state then, yes.... these miles are ridiculous. However.... I think I ALSO remember some post about giving such young people short miles until they know they can handle it. Probably wrong again! :lol:

I'll shut up now! :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Look for another job. You will find something. Dont give up. But, do not quit Werner until you find something else.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I don't know much about Werner, but they have several "divisions." Sounds like you are in the ?National? division, but because of your age, can't go out of state. Don't they have "dedicated" runs that are within your state and could keep you running more?

If not, I suggest you look for LOCAL work until you are older. Werner is one of the worst companies for pay and miles (that I know of.)

Wish you the best. Like was said, talk to your manager. Look for other jobs. No offense, but people who get CDL's at such a young age, really hinder themselves. Hopefully, some of the younger ones on here can give you more help.
golfhobo,

He is 21.

kc0iv