User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Is that old enough, in Maine, to have a Drivers license??
Yes, same in NH.

No learners permit in NH also. You can drive at 15 1/2 with an adult.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Is that old enough, in Maine, to have a Drivers license??
Yes, same in NH.

No learners permit in NH also. You can drive at 15 1/2 with an adult.
See: http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/getlicense.html about Maine Driver's license.

SteveBooth I suggest you look at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c1000.html Saf-C 1002.05 Requirements for Minor Applicant. Also look at Saf-C 1002.07 Driver Education Requirement Exception. Looks like NH have change the game.

kc0iv
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

that's trucking..More drivers they can train the more they abuse. There is 25 million cdl holders and 1.6 million otr jobs.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member

"do not quit werner before you have another job" is about the dumbest advise I have ever heard of.

500-700 miles per week? If you can prove that you are receiving just those miles per week when you can do more, I would not only abandon the truck, I would leave it at the bottom of a lake. Just to make a statement.

.26 cents per mile? $130 - $182 per week? That's bull :dung: !! That truck would be sold to the highest bidder, piece by piece. Tires first.

Quit. Do it now. If you must, drive it back to the terminal, no matter where you are right now. Let them pay for the fuel. What are they going to do? Keep your last check? What check? You are not making anything. Try to charge you for bringing it back empty? If they try, tell them you are getting a lawyer, and they can talk with him.

The only person you are hurting by keeping that job is yourself. Even a telemarketer makes $9.00 per hour. Find something else if you can't go back into trucking.

Or stick it out, and quit your whining. It's your choice. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I hate saying this. Everyone on this board knows how much I hate saying this.

So you should know I really hate saying this.

Contact JB Hunt. If your record is clean, and you have 4 months, I'm sure they will hire you.....I can't remember is you have to be 23 though.

Contact Sheepdancer. He would know.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Senior Board Member

So far no reply from the OP....post is still young thought. I really suspect he isnt going to be back....and he wont beable to prove his lack of mileage and unreasonable dispatcher....patiently waiting!!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Lol cluggy...But you are right, he would actually make more money at JB. However his problem is his age...hes only 21. At JB you have to be 22. And at many other trucking companies he would need to be 23.
I dont think Crete would hire him. I believe Crete requires drivers to be 23 too. I dont really know, I dont recruit for them, but I do recruit for their sister companies, Shaffer and Hunt. They both require 23 years of age. Plus Shaffer doesnt allow Werner experience because of the electronic logs. Go figure.
Out of all the many companies I hire for his only options I would have for him were Swift and US Xpress. They both would at least pay him more per mile and get more miles. Hes just not going to make great money until he turns 22 or more likely 23 in OTR trucking.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josborn
"do not quit werner before you have another job" is about the dumbest advise I have ever heard of.

Oh come on! Surely there's something dumber! Try harder! Do I get an award or what!

500-700 miles per week? If you can prove that you are receiving just those miles per week when you can do more, I would not only abandon the truck, I would leave it at the bottom of a lake. Just to make a statement.

For him that would be professional suicide!

.26 cents per mile? $130 - $182 per week? That's bull :dung: !! That truck would be sold to the highest bidder, piece by piece. Tires first.

Quit. Do it now. If you must, drive it back to the terminal, no matter where you are right now. Let them pay for the fuel. What are they going to do? Keep your last check? What check? You are not making anything. Try to charge you for bringing it back empty? If they try, tell them you are getting a lawyer, and they can talk with him.

For you and I you would be right. But this guy doesnt have alot of options. 21 yrs old and 4 mos experience. The reason for keeping the job is not for money, you have to understand the image that goes with not having a job. I have been a supervisor and when an applicant doesnt have a job it makes you wonder whats wrong with him. When an applicant has a job it makes the employer more comfortable, almost like they are stealing a worker from a competitor. Werner is a recognizable name in the industry, whether its good or bad is debateable, LOL. The other side of it is an unemployed person is more anxious at an interview and can come off as desperate instead of relaxed and confident. If he tries hard enough he'll find something. To tell you the truth I question the miles anyway. That truck would be losing money. There must be more to it.

The only person you are hurting by keeping that job is yourself. Even a telemarketer makes $9.00 per hour. Find something else if you can't go back into trucking.

Or stick it out, and quit your whining. It's your choice. :wink:
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Board Regular

It's amazing in my province you can get your Class 1(A) license at the young age of 19 years old. Isn't that amazing? Having a young adult out there on the road in control of 80, 000 lbs. I got my license when I was 21 and it was the best thing for me. I have a great fuel hauling job locally now and I'm home every night. I made 65,000 last year doing what I do and I hope to make more this year. It just goes to show that you can move up in this industry if you have the right job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I don't know much about Werner, but they have several "divisions." Sounds like you are in the ?National? division, but because of your age, can't go out of state. Don't they have "dedicated" runs that are within your state and could keep you running more?

If not, I suggest you look for LOCAL work until you are older. Werner is one of the worst companies for pay and miles (that I know of.)

Wish you the best. Like was said, talk to your manager. Look for other jobs. No offense, but people who get CDL's at such a young age, really hinder themselves. Hopefully, some of the younger ones on here can give you more help.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
1 speeding ticket 5yrs ago, makes poster 16yrs old. Is that old enough, in Maine, to have a Drivers license??
You can get a speeding ticket without having a license. He could have been 10 years old at that point for all we know