User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Don't worry about the other truck getting off scott free either. That driver will most likely receive a ticket with the same "speed to fast for conditions", plus, "following to close", "failure to control vehicle" and "improper lane usage". The first 2 will be because the truck was traveling fast enough and close enough, that he could not slow down or stop, to avoid colliding with your hubby's units.
Unless the truck was coming in the opposite direction. It wasn't really clear in her initial post. But you're right...if he was following, that driver is going to be toast, too.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:
Don't worry about the other truck getting off scott free either. That driver will most likely receive a ticket with the same "speed to fast for conditions", plus, "following to close", "failure to control vehicle" and "improper lane usage". The first 2 will be because the truck was traveling fast enough and close enough, that he could not slow down or stop, to avoid colliding with your hubby's units.
Unless the truck was coming in the opposite direction. It wasn't really clear in her initial post. But you're right...if he was following, that driver is going to be toast, too.
Yer right :shock: ...if the other truck was moving forward when the truck flipped, he is probably in the clear...I was sorta sssuming the second truck came from behind(mostly because of the trailer damage)....like the hubby might have been on a freeway. :shock:
Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member

He can always drive a dump truck locally. Not the greatest pay, but it'll keep the bill collectors at bay :wink:
Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

It may not be over. Depends on the company...our company has kept guys who have made serious mistakes like that. But he won't get two chances....

BOL
Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver
He can always drive a dump truck locally. Not the greatest pay, but it'll keep the bill collectors at bay :wink:

why do people think dump truck companies will hire anybody? my company runs 25 dumps and they are just as strict about hiring drivers for them as they are for tanker drivers.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Board Regular

well Fredog.....MOST dump companies don't care (the smaller ones) I worked for one where we never filled out an app or even did a drug test upon highering, most of the guys couldn't work anywhere else. BOL with your hubby Mighty3

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom433a
well Fredog.....MOST dump companies don't care (the smaller ones) I worked for one where we never filled out an app or even did a drug test upon highering, most of the guys couldn't work anywhere else. BOL with your hubby Mighty3
I've never run across one but I'm sure they are out there, but I wouldnt say MOST of them
Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: My husband flipped his truck today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty3
My husband has been driving for 9 months for a big trucking company. This morning he called me. He had an accident. He went onto the shoulder, recorrected and flipped his truck on the interstate. Then another semi hit him and smashed his trailer and load everywhere. Thank God no one was hurt, but truck and load are totalled. No one was ticketed. My husband really likes his job and we are worried they will fire him. Other than this, he has a good record, but this sounds major. He is on the side of the road in Alabama waiting for the insurance adjuster. Has anything like this happened to any one out there, and what was the end result? Do you think he'll have a job after this, or be employable?
Well... dang.

Chances are slim that he'll keep his job. When I first started driving, I had a jackknife. I wasn't ticketed, but I lost my job- I think I would have kept my job had I given "the right answers." The boss called me in to ask what I would have done differently. I had hydroplaned (the cars behind me all did the same- not an excuse, just a detail). No one was hurt but I'm sure that truck was totaled. Anyway- I really didn't see what I could have done differently. I wasn't speeding, wasn't following too close. I said so. Wrong answer.

I could have assessed the fact that the roads were wet and slowed down accordingly. Could have planted my lass in the right lane and taken it easy. Could have... could have...

If your husband isn't immediately fired- suggest that he review his mistakes. An honest assessment of what he did wrong (#1 why did he hit the shoulder- did he fall asleep? Not paying attention? whatever- don't answer that- that's for him to chew on) may be the difference between keeping his job and losing it.

As far as it goes with you- I'm sure I don't need to tell you this... but he already feels like crud. Don't let this thing get in between you- don't hold it over his head- and don't let it fan the flame of a future argument. He screwed up- and in trucking, a screw up is expensive. THANK GOD NO ONE WAS HURT. You can loose your load, your truck and your job- but if someone loses a life or a limb, that's something you won't easily get over.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Rookie

I once trained with a flatbed company where a student fell asleep at the wheel and flipped the truck. Needless to say, I was quite surprised to see that he wasn’t terminated and continued to drive the very next day.

Best of luck mighty3