User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who in here.......

Who in here got into trucking simply because of being tired of dealing and working around people all day long.
I think it's the main reason I'm considering getting into it myself.
I know as a driver you still have to deal with people as far as traffic shippers dispatch etc.,but not really side by side with morons and cutthroats,suckbutts and all kinds you can think of.
Last week topped it all off,this man after 42 years of service(we're talking about an extremely dedicated man to his job) left the shop like a few minutes early to shake everyone's hand who he's been working with for so long and guess what management decides to do to him on his last day,they wrote him up on his last freaking day,it literally made me sick to my stomach.
He wasn't even out the gate yet when the whistle blew,I could see if he was in his vehicle in the parking lot when the whistle blew but he was still inside the mill.
Anyway I know trucking probably ain't no better but at least you're not in direct contact with people.

Maybe I'm turning anti social,hell I don't know.
All I know now I have a total lack of interest in my job now and on top of that extremely bored with it.
By the way I'm a millwright at a papermill.
My plan is to pay some bills off and think I'll give trucking a shot.

Y'all have a good one and give me some feedback if y'all ever went thru this.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Board Regular

Although Im still in college right now I can relate to what your saying. I delivered furniture for 5 years for my parents business and the thought of being out on the open road and not having to deal with idiots constantly made trucking appealing to me. Although the majority of us still have bosses (in a sense) to report to we atleast don't have to deal with the normal 9-5 b.s.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Rookie
Default k

Well, I got in2 driving when I was 18 for 2 reason's 1 is b/c I dont have a boss standing over my ass watching every lil move I make (he'd get his ass punch'd if he did). 2nd where else can u drive, smoke, do whatever u want well yer @ work aslong as the wheels are turning it dont madder if yer a chipmonk as long as them wheels roll than its a piece of cake ! I think when u LD @ places u can tell if the Loader is a prick or is decent depends how u approach them ( Hey bro I got $50 that says u can't have me UNLD'd IN 30 mins)it's a writeoff dont worry bout it) ..Like my parents teach'd me.................. DO ON 2 OTHER'S AS YOU WANT DONE ON2 YOU...!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I got into trucking in May 2000, just after the y2k scare shown to be bull. I was a computer tech with my own shop, and was doing good until October 1999, when business dropped off.

I glad I closed down when I did. Newer computer parts was being shipped in faster that I could sell the old ones. And the prices were dropping daily. That's when I decided to change.

It has had it's ups and downs, and I started with a class B CDL...it wasn't until Sept. 2003 when I upgraded to class A CDL.

Now I do mostly local work. I have found that it pays the same, and sometimes more, than OTR. And I got wife and kids I wanted to be with. Maybe after my kids get on their own I'll go OTR.

And that's my story. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Who in here.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
Anyway I know trucking probably ain't no better but at least you're not in direct contact with people.

Maybe I'm turning anti social,hell I don't know.
All I know now I have a total lack of interest in my job now and on top of that extremely bored with it.
By the way I'm a millwright at a papermill.
My plan is to pay some bills off and think I'll give trucking a shot.

Y'all have a good one and give me some feedback if y'all ever went thru this.
Stick with the paper mill. Pay/bennies are leaps and bounds over 95% of OTR trucking jobs plus you sleep in your bed everynight.

The end-of-the week gross might look good in OTR but the hourly rates are a joke and there's no overtime...which means you will be working round the clock to make a decent paycheck. Lots of hurry-up and unpaid waiting around.

This industry will soon be flooded with illegals once the government allows them to get CDL's. They will happily pull for less than 1/2 the rate and thus the services of blue-collar American drivers will no longer be needed...much like what's happened in other low-skill occupations like construction, landscaping, food service, etc.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think you may find a certain level of antisocial behavior in this industry. However, you will still need to deal with people, mostly your dispatcher or driver manager. In addition, you will need to deal with shippers, receivers and their personnel. If you drive solo you will spend a lot of time by yourself. Some people enjoy spending time by themselves, others prefer having people around. It is important to have good communication skills, whether you use them all the time or not.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Board Regular

Ok, I am extermely new to this but after my maiden voyage ( Just last week) I have to say that most truckers are really nice but the other folks you deal with are not so nice. ( dispatchers, Shippers ) The thing is you will be dealing with the other folks as a business and only chatting with the truckers on th CB or at truck stops . I really enjoyed the time alone driving down the interstate but had to bite my lip a few times when dealing with the dispatcher , shipper or reciever.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Board Regular

There was one particular broker that had high rates but the lady answering their phone had a HORRIBLE attitude as if I owed them my kidney since they had good rates. :lol: I never hauled a single load for them and never care to. To me money isn;t everything. There is no reason for a shipper/dispatcher/or broker to behave like they are owed something. We are providing a SERVICE FOR THEM. It shouldn't be the other way around. I will not haul or offer my services to a shipper or broker with a crappy attitude regardless of their revenue. There is plenty of other freight out there.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Not all local jobs are the cake walk that CFM eludes to. I have a local job, produce for Walmart. I went into the office yesterday at noon, left at 1330 and drove back into the facility at 0330.

I got more sleep OTR.

And no, I am not interested in loading trailers or dock work until I can get moved up the chain.

My point is enjoy wherever you decide to go.

Its YOUR life.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
Not all local jobs are the cake walk that CFM eludes to. I have a local job, produce for Walmart. I went into the office yesterday at noon, left at 1330 and drove back into the facility at 0330.

I got more sleep OTR.

And no, I am not interested in loading trailers or dock work until I can get moved up the chain.

My point is enjoy wherever you decide to go.

Its YOUR life.
Yeh,that's been a constant battle in my head,be home every night but miserable working around people all day long or trucking.
Again I know trucking isn't a walk in the park either but I do like the idea of working by myself.
Never have been happy working side by side with people,been a loner most of my life and my family knows it.