User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I found flatbedding

Well, after a failed attempt to be a Dock Worker/City Driver at ABF Freight, I trekked out into the world to find a new job.
Its rough out there, folks. Local work just wasnt happening. I tried.
Maybe not all the local positions, but a whole lot.
Luckily, i got in with this small long haul outfit that does mostly flatbedding

My first load today was some military stuff. Long day, long wait.
Anyway, tomorrow, i take the military stuff to the port so it can go overseas. then im off to pull an oversize load about 200 miles.

talk about hands on training. I am doing all the driving and tying down with my trainer watching and teaching.
as my adventures continue, i will update the post.

I actually think im gonna like this job. i feel fortunate that i didnt have to join any of the big corporate carriers.

Truckin aint easy, but it sure is fun (for now) :wink:
Old 02-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Board Regular

Glad to here you found a job all18...i've been keeping an eye on the job market in the Sac area for awhile now and right now it just sux.

Sound like you found something that will work for you at least for the time being, and when the market picks up at least you will have some behind the wheel experience if you decide to move on.

I kinda was in the right spot at the right time to get my current position. The pay is ok, and right now the work is kinda slow, but the company treats us well and we have a all expenses paid (minus any gambling we want to do) trip to Las Vegas next month for the Con/Ag expo I think it took me a good 5-6 years to find a GOOD company to work, but man when you do find a good one, it sure is nice.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 AM

Yep, flatbedding is a blast…why just yesterday I made my drop in Boston, nice sunny day, no wind. Today I got my load, just 10 miles from my drop, it was a torrential rain and windy, lots of urban flooding too and me out in the middle of it all throwing straps and pulling tarps. :roll:
Then I look at the van drivers and think "nnnaaa, I'll keep my skateboard"
Good luck in the new gig, flats are not for everybody, but for those who like it, no van will ever see them again.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Board Regular

today i dropped the military stuff at the port of oakland, then went down to hollister to pick up some storage buildings but dispatch goofed and it wasnt supposed to be til next week (oops). so i got sent to stockton to get a military flatbed trailer loaded onto my trailer. i take it to a base tomorrow. then i go to Fallon and pick up some trusses. they go to Watsonville on friday morning. im staying busy so far. im learning alot.
It was real windy today. i watched a van in front of me blowing sidways down the highway.YIKES, no thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Rookie

18 this is good stuff for anyone wanting to do flatbed.At 51 maybe I am crazy but it seems the exciting or interesting jobs are what your doing.I am enjoying your updates Thankyou
Old 02-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Board Regular

i loaded up some trusses and managed to sneak off to the house on the way back to the yard so i could have dinner with the wife real quick.
slept in the truck last night.then i was off to drop the trusses.
then, i had to go back to the yard and get a "cozad" trailer. its the one that the neck comes off so heavy equipment can be ramped on. chained that down and went back to the yard. it will sit there til sunday afternoon while i take a partial weekend off. then i take it to down to Socal.

so far, the flat bed work doesnt seem so bad. of course , the weather has been good and i havent had to tarp anything yet.
theres something about flatbedding that makes me feel more than just a steering wheel holder. i have to have more than just driving skills.
I think as long as im a driver, i will be a flat bedder.
call me "Captain Skateboard"
Well, im off to enjoy my day and a half off. See you out there.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Board Regular

Hey 18, been driving for 20 yrs with 16 of it being flats and I'll be the first to say....ENJOY that nice weather. I delivered to Payson, Az this morn and there was so much snow that they had to pull the load out from under the tarps. The ground was covered in ice and I couldn't get a bite with my boots. After it was unloaded they lifted my tarps back on the trailer (they came off after the 2nd section was unloaded) using the forklift. Threw some boards ove and strapped them down before climbing the Rim heading for home.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Open trailers are the only way to go. I started with a 40 foot flat about 40 years ago and have only pulled a reefer maybe twice. Graduated from a short flat thru all kinds of length and combinations to where the big money is in trucking, a 3/4/3 LB
Have fun wwith it and just don't take tarp loades, like me ( I don't even carry any)
Old 02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
Open trailers are the only way to go. I started with a 40 foot flat about 40 years ago and have only pulled a reefer maybe twice. Graduated from a short flat thru all kinds of length and combinations to where the big money is in trucking, a 3/4/3 LB
Have fun wwith it and just don't take tarp loades, like me ( I don't even carry any)
well, at this point, i dont have much choice. if i get dispatched a tarp load, i have to take it. im too new to be picky. i agree, they suck. especially in the snow and rain. hopefully i can get picky after a year or two.
gotta take the bad with the good.
no matter what happens, anything beats pulling a van for 27 cents a mile.
this company isnt going to hang me up for days somewhere waiting for a load or leave me in the east coast. thats why i like this place so much.
if i gotta put up with some bad weather and a tarp a season or two, so be it
Old 02-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
well, at this point, i dont have much choice. if i get dispatched a tarp load, i have to take it. im too new to be picky. i agree, they suck. especially in the snow and rain. hopefully i can get picky after a year or two.
gotta take the bad with the good.
no matter what happens, anything beats pulling a van for 27 cents a mile.
this company isnt going to hang me up for days somewhere waiting for a load or leave me in the east coast. thats why i like this place so much.
if i gotta put up with some bad weather and a tarp a season or two, so be it
1. Don't expect to get "picky" after the first one or two years. There are other guys that have been around much longer than that, and THEY are the ones that have "PAID THEIR DUES". Don't expect to get "PICKY" until you can stand alongside them with years of service.

2. Get yourself a good pair of coveralls... Brown Duck are good, with zippers down the side of the pantlegs so you don't have to take your boots off to put them on or take them off. About three pairs of warm, lined gloves, and a pair of warm boots... Sorrels are good, and I think La Crosse makes a pair that are even better. A FLANNEL SKI MASK and cap that covers the ears are great for working out in -20 degree weather.

3. You'll meet a much better class of people at the docks, both at the shippers and receivers. But, if you're going to a construction site and have to "MEET THE CRANE", DON'T BE LATE, or they are not afraid to charge your company with "CRANE TIME" which can run into THOUSANDS of dollars an hour.

Enjoy yourself. It's a good way to go.