User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Its a class requirement to sit there for their presentations. I had a hard time keeeping my sarcasim at bay. Frmon the whole class there were only a very few questions for him after the speech.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Board Member

SNI does take new grads but the difference is they dont require you to go through CDL week. They train you THEIR way and how to do things THEIR way.
As far as "taking warm bodies" thats a load. They are very picky about hiring people and do thorough background checks..probably more than the other megacarriers.
Except for California, you sign a year contract which is really no big deal but if you do a year with SNI , you pretty much can write your own ticket to any company out there and thats because of the training.

There is "BS" about it, there was nothing that was kept secret, there was nothing that all the sudden was a suprise after I got there.

Their training stresses safety and they pound it in to you. As far as turnover rates go, its usually because idiots cant abide by the rules, or cant handle it.

Turnover rates are irrelevent when you realize why those boneheads left the company.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM

I agree with inmate. Once your there and u see what type of people leave. your right though. warm body comment and a clean record is what i should of said. school was good and they covered a lot. good luck
Old 02-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I would call back again, and see if you get the same answer.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Board Regular

I think they ( Swift and others) a small fortune on financing driver training.Maybe that's the reason for the BS? :?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayburd
I think they ( Swift and others) a small fortune on financing driver training.Maybe that's the reason for the BS? :?
I read somewhere that they also get a tax break from uncle sam for every student they train and recently increased to an 18 month contract if you go through their training.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Board Regular

10-4 Kurbski!
They did have a 12 month commitment,uppde it to 18 and reimburse trainies at about 25 bucks per month or something like that.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:52 PM

I think it's pretty simple. You don't have a CDL so you either have to go to a private school for it or through a companies school.

And even if you get your CDL on your own the company still needs to put you through their training because all you bring to them is a CDL, but no experience.

So even if yo have the CDL, why shouldn't they require you to sign a contract? They are putting you through the same training students without CDLs are getting.

When you buy a product or get a service without paying cash first you sign a contract for a certain length of time. Why shouldn't a company training you to do the job without you paying for it be able to do it?

I went through Schneider's training and worked a year after the contract was fulfilled. I've been making good money ever since that training. I'm very thankful to Schneider for that training.

Not saying every moment with Schneider or my local job has been a piece of cake. I've almost quit at least 50 times in my cab. But got over it before I was able to say someting stupid to a boss and end up with no job.

I'm just saying if you have no experience and want a job, you have to go through a company at some point to get started. Don't be surprised if the company wants something back for that training.

Good luck with getting started whichever way you choose to do so.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

If you have a CDL you don't and should not have to sign a contract. If they made you sign a contract with a CDL I doubt anyone would go there. They provide a little extra training to those who already have thier CDL but after paying all that money for school to get your CDL why would you go sign for an additional $4000.00 worth of training?

I work at Schneider now but will be leaving shortly, the company is a good company to work for.

When I went through training in 2006 I know they had 80 students in every week!! 45-50 graduated at the end of 14 days of training. A trainer told me that 10 to 20 out of the initial 80 actually stay 1 full year.

Start with 80 students end up with 10-20.

So 60-70 students a week will end up oweing Schneider money for breaking the contract.
60 X $4000.00 = $240,000 a week for Schneider of course they wont collect all of that but that is a lot of $$$. Some people dont have to pay the whole $4000.00 If they boot you out early you pay about $280.00 for each day you were there.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM

When I went through Schneider's train there were 6 of us who had our CDLs. We all went through the same training as those who didn't. We all signed the contract.

If we didn't sign the contract we wouldn't have had a job. I wasn't forced to sign it, but if I wanted the training to do the job I had to.

The people in my class who didn't make it were not cut out for it or had some issues with their apps.

Schneider wants you to succeed, they are not trying to force drivers out before they fufill their contracts.