User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wal-Mart Loads

I'm contemplating getting on a Wal-Mart dedicated account would like some basic information from drivers that have hauled loads for the big wally world:
Do they put a lot of pressure on you to get the load there quickly?
Do they accept deliveres during the day or is it night only?
How many stops are there usually on a wal-mart load?
Are they a driver unload account?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Wal-Mart Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
I'm contemplating getting on a Wal-Mart dedicated account would like some basic information from drivers that have hauled loads for the big wally world:
Do they put a lot of pressure on you to get the load there quickly?
Walmart expects 98% on time delivers unless THEY get you out the gate late.
Do they accept deliveres during the day or is it night only?
Both. You pick if you want to run day,night or in between
How many stops are there usually on a wal-mart load?
If it is GM, then it is 1 stop,D&H. if you are hauling out of a grocery DC, could be 1-3 stops on the trailer.
Are they a driver unload account?
NO

Thanks.
I ran a Walmart dedicated out of Marcy,NY with NFI. If you are running out of a GM DC, it is easy$.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM

I work for SWIFT and we haul a lot for Wal-Mart. We even have a terminal at a Wal-Mart distribution center in Harrisonville, Missouri. I've done some Wal-Mart runs. It's really no different than hauling for any other company.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

crete has terminal at the North Platte NE Wal-Mart DC .

From my experience delivering to Wal-mart you can drop ras early as midnight on the day you deliver ,so if you are set for the 24th you can drop right at midnight ...if you are running early you can usually get re-schedueled to drop b4 the appt date ...

Live un-loads can suck just like most anywhere ,and live un-loads are harder to re-schedule for early deivery , so if you're set to deliver on the 24th at 1000 and you get in town on the 23rd at 1400 pretty much plan parking it until the 24th at 1000 .

But Wal-mart dedicated is usuall all Drop/Hook for the dedicated end of it . And the delivery times are fair ,and drop/hook loads usually have a huge window .
Old 02-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member

As far as when you can deliver goes, it depends on what you are hauling. If you are running general freight then you usually have a window and most locations are drop and hook.

On the other hand if you are running out of a refrigerated DC then it is more often than not a live unload and it is also more of an appointment time, and these are typically late evening (10-11pm) deliveries.

Any more most runs are one stop deliveries.

When you finish your delivery you may deadhead back to the DC or you may go and pick up product for that DC and bring it back.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Board Regular
Default I run ded. acct

I run for Crete out of the WalMart DC in Bartlesville, OK. I have no other experience to compare it to so in my opinion, "it rocks." The loads come out in a timely manner for you to get them to where they go any plenty of time for the "window." If something is going to be late it will be because a driver was planned on it with plenty of time and something came up, (breakdown, held up, weather, etc) then they will put someone else on it at the last second. I hit 2-4 stores on a route per nite, some are d/h most are live unload. 1-2 times per week we are given a backhaul to get on our way home from last stop, some better than others. 3 of the 7 or so places we pickup are drop and hook. Any specific questions, let me know.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Senior Board Member

WalMart has always been one of the easier big box retailers to haul for. I deliver to WalMart via Schneider regularly and they are far better to deal with than the pricks at Family Dollar
Old 02-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

On the LTL side when delivering to the store they can be difficult.

I once had one of their employees tell me that they were closed at 2:50pm when the sign on the door said receiving hours "Xam-3:00pm".

After I asked her to sign the bill refusing the freight they were magically open

Here in Reno the Grocery warehouse is served by CR England and a bunch of Greatwide O/O who are slowly going broke.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I once had one of their employees tell me that they were closed at 2:50pm when the sign on the door said receiving hours "Xam-3:00pm".

After I asked her to sign the bill refusing the freight they were magically open

Here in Reno the Grocery warehouse is served by CR England and a bunch of Greatwide O/O who are slowly going broke. Not surprisingly they both have billboard ads up recruiting for meat in the seat as you come into town on WB I80.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams

Dude, you're a better man than me. If I'm not outta there in 15 minutes than I just leave. See ya!! :lol:

The funniest was when I did that at a General Motors plant awhile back. Had one skid in a crated box. Showed up and there were sleeper trucks all over because this place is notoriously SLOWWWW (and yes, it is union. :lol: ). Asked the guy inside if he could pull the skid off the back. He told me to get in line, they don't make exceptions for nobody. I said "neither do I" and so I left.

Went to pull out and the guard wouldn't raise the gate and let me out because my pass wasn't signed. I called dispatch on the Nextel and he called security and told them that if they didn't raise the gate than he was going to tell me to drive right through it. Oh man, I was SOOOO hoping they didn't raise that gate but they did. :lol: :lol: :cry:

Well, it turns out that this was a part for some sort of compressor and was supposed to deliver that day to a crew doing work. Crew couldn't get the work done due to the compressor not being there so they charged GM alot of money for downtime.

Went there the next day and the guy didn't look me in the eye...just said pull around back and I'll grab the skid with the motor. He signed the bill and threw it at me. I balled up his receipt and threw it right back at him. He told me that he hangs out at a certain bar after work and that if I had a problem then we could work it out then. I told him yeah we have a problem let's work it out right here and now. He said FU and drove away on his motor.