User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

So then why are you pissed off?

I'm not pissed off, but opinions that lump auto shift drivers into an unsafe category are rather ridiculous and that's my opinion.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker
So then why are you pissed off?

I'm not pissed off, but opinions that lump auto shift drivers into an unsafe category are rather ridiculous and that's my opinion.
Splitshifter wrote:
Quote:
There are some people who are "naturals" when it comes to driving a truck and are good right from the start, and there are others who, even if they went to truck driver school for 25 years would never be able to handle a truck safely or shift gears properly. Automatic transmissions in big trucks bring us that much closer to putting incompetent drivers out there.
Not ridiculous at all.

You know how to proficiently operate a truck with a manual.

What is ridiculous is training new drivers on automatics because it's "easier"to get them through the training program that way and put "meat in the seat".
Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

i think auto's is great for companies. Now than can get more drivers and pay less to drivers as there is less skill in truck driving.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 AM

I guess I read more into your post than I should of. Your points well taken. I spoke today with a local company about employment and then to my instructor at the local school where I got my cdl. It's been 10 months since I drove a stick and the instructor has no problem giving me a day or two to refresh with a stick before trying out with the local company. I figure I'll need a little work after watching my brother float gears the other day on the way home.
Anyone here familiar with what my instructor called a "gearmaster" he says they now have in their trucks?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM

GMH--THANKS U MUST B THE BRAINS ON HERE!! LOL!! :roll:
Old 02-03-2008, 06:01 PM

I can't believe the arguing going on here. I think both transmissions are fine. I can drive both, and right now am driving a Mack Granite with a Maxitorque 8 speed. I have driven 8's, 9's, 10's and super 10's. My last job before going into the tri-axle was driving Freightliner Columbias with the new Freightliner Smart-Shift, a fully automatic transmission with no clutch at all. I liked everything about it except the fact that you can only start out in the preset starting gear. Which for our trucks was 2nd. Even when bobtailing, when many will start in 3rd or even 4th, this transmission wouldn't do it, not even when manual mode was selected.

Would I drive an automatic again? Most certainly! In fact, if I ever switch jobs again, I will check out the companies that are running them. It is so much more enjoyable to drive, especially in stop and go traffic, with an automatic vs the manual. That being said, I would just as quickly take a good job with a company that still uses the manual transmission. Both work for me with no complaints.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

The company I drive for is about 50/50 on autos vs manual trucks. I was talking to a new driver who'd joined up with us a few weeks ago. He's been driving trucks for 32 years and he's in his first automatic.

He made it plainly clear that he'll NEVER drive another manual truck.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I can't believe the arguing going on here. I think both transmissions are fine. I can drive both, and right now am driving a Mack Granite with a Maxitorque 8 speed. I have driven 8's, 9's, 10's and super 10's. My last job before going into the tri-axle was driving Freightliner Columbias with the new Freightliner Smart-Shift, a fully automatic transmission with no clutch at all. I liked everything about it except the fact that you can only start out in the preset starting gear. Which for our trucks was 2nd. Even when bobtailing, when many will start in 3rd or even 4th, this transmission wouldn't do it, not even when manual mode was selected.

Would I drive an automatic again? Most certainly! In fact, if I ever switch jobs again, I will check out the companies that are running them. It is so much more enjoyable to drive, especially in stop and go traffic, with an automatic vs the manual. That being said, I would just as quickly take a good job with a company that still uses the manual transmission. Both work for me with no complaints.

what I dont get is why does anyone care so much about what someone else prefers?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
what I dont get is why does anyone care so much about what someone else prefers?
I don't either, that's why I made the post I did. Both transmissions have their place in the world, and it's up to each driver what he or she prefers. I myself prefer the automatic even though I can drive both.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
I don't either, that's why I made the post I did. Both transmissions have their place in the world, and it's up to each driver what he or she prefers. I myself prefer the automatic even though I can drive both.
Same here. I spent the last 9 months in an auto-shift and now I'm back in a straight-10. No big deal, but I do prefer the auto.