Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Automatic = P.O.S.

That's my opinion.
Why do you say that?

An autoshift transmission is mechanically identical to a straight-10. The only difference is that there is an electrical x-y shifter mounted at the top of the transmission, in place of the normal shift lever. There is also a computer to control it.

So, exactly why do you say they're a POS?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Automatic = P.O.S.

That's my opinion.
Why do you say that?

An autoshift transmission is mechanically identical to a straight-10. The only difference is that there is an electrical x-y shifter mounted at the top of the transmission, in place of the normal shift lever. There is also a computer to control it.

This kind of crap gets slung around everywhere. Autos were called 'crap' in the beginning with autos. Likewise ABS, computer controlled engines, and automatic spark advance. In cars, trucks, motorcycles, there's always someone who is afraid of change and afraid of technology. People who 'need' the crutch don't have the skill to do x, y, z.

My two favorites of this form of 'discourse':

A poster spent two minutes talking to one buddy (with a similar mindset) who experienced some nascent form of the technology 5, 10, 20 years ago. It sucked then (according to second hand knowledge) so it must suck today.

Number two is usually relegated solely to ABS, but I've seen it some in the auto/manual debate. 'Someone' said that 'in theory' an expert could stop faster (or shift quicker) than the computer controlled one. Well, since bench racer Ben is an expert, he can do things better/faster than the computer.

I've never driven an auto truck (school only had manuals) and have no intention of driving one for my first year or more. Why? Because at this stage, given the current market penetration, I would limit my skill development and employment opportunities in the future. Not sure where trucking goes in the future, but if it remains looking something like it does today, in another decade, that won't be a problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio joe
As a Newbie it makes your driving less stressfull! But u still need to master standard transmissions! Ithink alot of autos r for the ladies getting into trucking! But theres nothing wrong w/ autos or women driving in trucking!! :shock:
:withstupid:
Are you going for a joke, or do you actually believe that? If the former, you really need to work on your material, as that just wasn't funny. If the latter... Well, personal attacks aren't allowed here, so I'll merely say you are uninformed. I don't know you, but I can almost guarantee I've taught more people to operate more types of vehicles and machinery than you have. And there is zero correlation between sex and ability.

About the only thing you got right is the "there's nothing wrong with..." comment.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Default interesting

http://www.allisontransmission.com/roadtest/index.jsp
Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Automatic = P.O.S.

That's my opinion.
Why do you say that?

I am fully cognizant of the principles of their operation.

As I stated in the second sentence of my post, that is my opinion.

I prefer a manual transmission.

I also believe that having the ability to operate a manual unsynchronized transmission is sort of a "litmus test" for drivers.

If a driver cannot learn to proficiently operate a manual transmission, then chances are that person cannot handle a truck in other ways either.

There are some people who are "naturals" when it comes to driving a truck and are good right from the start, and there are others who, even if they went to truck driver school for 25 years would never be able to handle a truck safely or shift gears properly. Automatic transmissions in big trucks bring us that much closer to putting incompetent drivers out there.

If someone likes automatic transmissions, well, that's their opinion.

To each his own
Old 02-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Automatic = P.O.S.

That's my opinion.
Why do you say that?

I am fully cognizant of the principles of their operation.

As I stated in the second sentence of my post, that is my opinion.

I prefer a manual transmission.

I also believe that having the ability to operate a manual unsynchronized transmission is sort of a "litmus test" for drivers.

If a driver cannot learn to proficiently operate a manual transmission, then chances are that person cannot handle a truck in other ways either.

There are some people who are "naturals" when it comes to driving a truck and are good right from the start, and there are others who, even if they went to truck driver school for 25 years would never be able to handle a truck safely or shift gears properly. Automatic transmissions in big trucks bring us that much closer to putting incompetent drivers out there.

how else would US Express ever get drivers?

If someone likes automatic transmissions, well, that's their opinion.

To each his own
Old 02-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Just as splitshifter voiced his rather unworthy to me opinion, I'll voice mine. I passed a state CDL license test driving a straight 10 speed manual shift transmission. Does that pass the "litmus test" for drivers? I believe so, since I learned to drive that truck in less than 3 weeks. I don't feel that just because I drive an auto shift truck, I may be lacking proficiency in any other way when operating or handling a truck. In fact, I do believe I can operate that truck much more safer than a driver with the same experience in a manual, simply because I have less distractions and concerns in an emergency situation. Case in point, would you like to be on a steep hill on the ice with a heavy load when the driver in front of you misses a gear and has to stop to get going again? Auto shift transmissions make that situation non-existent. You never miss a gear in them. There are a lot of old timers at Interstate that drove sticks for a very long time. I've spoke to them about the change they made going to the auto, they all said it was tough at first trying to find something to do with their right hand, but all said the auto became quite an asset in being a safer driver and they won't go back to the stick.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Lunker wrote:
Quote:
Just as splitshifter voiced his rather unworthy to me opinion, I'll voice mine. I passed a state CDL license test driving a straight 10 speed manual shift transmission. Does that pass the "litmus test" for drivers? I believe so, since I learned to drive that truck in less than 3 weeks.
So then why are you pissed off?

You learned to drive on a truck with a manual transmission and quickly became proficient at it. The fact that you're driving an autoshift now is irrelevant.