Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default good luck

BROWN 7477.. Just wanted to make a comment.Ive been a corrections officer at a state prison for 16 years . I,ve always said there is a very fine line between people behind bars and the people on the other side.Ive seen a lot of inmates leave and the majority of them come back . The ones who dont come back are the ones who have a plan to get work,change the dudes they hang with and stay on there program to stay clean . best of luck ,Dont give up....Icedog
Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Board Regular

It's the combination - feloney, 15+ over, and the 01 DUI that he just mentioned. That's pretty much 3 strikes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
I think you'll find that a lot of people believe in second chances. But second chances from drug convictions? Not in this industry. This, here, is your biggest issue and pretty nearly insurmountable in the trucking industry. No company is willing to be a blank check on a driver with a drug past.

The 15+ over isn't so bad, if that's the only thing on your MVR. A 15+ is a major moving violation and not an automatic careless, though some companies may view it as such. Most simply look at it as a major moving violation and most companies would be able to work with 1 major in the last 5 years. If you've been getting turned down on the MVR, I would hazard a guess that there's more than just the 15+ on it.
Twilight Flyer;

For an experienced driver, I can see where the 15+ ticket might not be so problematic; but for a noob or wannabee?? My understanding was that anything over 15mph. would shut the doors of opportunity.

You work in the industry, so you are better informed about this than I am.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
It's the combination - feloney, 15+ over, and the 01 DUI that he just mentioned. That's pretty much 3 strikes..
:shock: :shock:
mbadriver:

The world just became a much more dangerous place.

We agree!!

Tin foil hats off, and everyone down to the bomb shelter!!

Sorry, Brown 7477, but as far as the trucking industry is concerned, with your criminal record, plus the 15+ speeding ticket, and the DUI added to the mix, you're toast!!

Better start exploring other options.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Board Regular

I was offering him a realistic view of the "drilliing" industry. I have some experience in geo, environmental, NG. I was giving matt a realistic view of day to day life with drillers.

U blew up on me over my comment about Choir Boys and Q Clearances at the Useless Company. Sorry I couldn't resist it. To me you come off a bit full of yourself.

I'm sure friends and family think you are a great guy. I wish no ill will to you or anyone else.

I think Matt gets the idea of what to expect on the rigs!

Let's just drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
So, mbadriver,

You know when to put on boots??

Care to offer anything specific?? Or is that just one of the chips on your shoulder showing itself!!

If we both agree that there is a problem with substance abuse in the drilling industry, then what specifically is it that I have said that you take issue with?? And, what is your personal experience in oil and gas drilling?
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="mbadriver"]I was offering him a realistic view of the "drilliing" industry. I have some experience in geo, environmental, NG. I was giving matt a realistic view of day to day life with drillers.

U blew up on me over my comment about Choir Boys and Q Clearances at the Useless Company. Sorry I couldn't resist it. To me you come off a bit full of yourself.

I'm sure friends and family think you are a great guy. I wish no ill will to you or anyone else.

Let's just drop it.

Fine with me!!

My time in the O/F and the drilling industry spans back over 30 years; I've seen the industry as it was, and what it has evolved into. As far as being "full of myself", I am proud of what I have accomplished in life ....especially in light of where I came from. Statistically, it wasn't supposed to happen. If sharing what I've learned and gained over the years can help someone, then that's what I want to do. If my way of doing things does not appeal to others, that's okay, too.....as long as they can come up with a program that will work for them.

In this case, we have someone who's income prospects are in doubt due to the indistry in which he is currently working. Now, he's wanting to get into trucking...... but Brown7477 is going to have a pretty difficult time doing it, and I think that "pretty difficult" is a serious understatement in this case.

So, my approach is to try to help him find a game plan that will work. I offer no apologies for trying to reach out and help someone who's trying to help himself. What I don't understand is why it should upset you.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

HEY USELESS...answer your PM's... :? .... :P

Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Board Regular

I'm not always an a$$. Sorry we hit it off on the wrong foot.

U have way more experience than me in drilling. Mine was limited to some geo drilling in NM during the 70's (uranium), back when nuclear still had a future, albeit short one! From there it was it environmental (site characterization, pump and treats, monitoring, etc.). Now I live in an area where every unoccupied piece of land has a gas well.

good luck

[quote="Useless"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
I was offering him a realistic view of the "drilliing" industry. I have some experience in geo, environmental, NG. I was giving matt a realistic view of day to day life with drillers.

Let's just drop it.

Fine with me!!

My time in the O/F and the drilling industry spans back over 30 years; I've seen the industry as it was, and what it has evolved into. As far as being "full of myself", I am proud of what I have accomplished in life ....especially in light of where I came from. Statistically, it wasn't supposed to happen. If sharing what I've learned and gained over the years can help someone, then that's what I want to do. If my way of doing things does not appeal to others, that's okay, too.....as long as they can come up with a program that will work for them.

In this case, we have someone who's income prospects are in doubt due to the indistry in which he is currently working. Now, he's wanting to get into trucking...... but Brown7477 is going to have a pretty difficult time doing it, and I think that "pretty difficult" is a serious understatement in this case.

So, my approach is to try to help him find a game plan that will work. I offer no apologies for trying to reach out and help someone who's trying to help himself. What I don't understand is why it should upset you.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Cool, mbadriver!!

Let's put it behind us and be friends!!! ..... or is the world a dangerous enough place as it is already!!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 AM

Wow!! This thread has taken on a life of it's own.
My past speaks for me as to what kind of a person I was.
Not Who I am now.
I appreciate all this. But as you see I am not a quitter. I will succeed.
I have more going for me in the area of life experiences. How easy it for some newer OTR driver with limited experience to pull into a truckstop or have a couple day layover and go have a few drinks at the local gentleman's club and end up with someone offering them something. In my opinion chances are they will go ahead and party and have some fun. I know ask me that 10 years ago and I would probably of said sure why not. I do not have to drive for a while. But now If I was to be offered anything I would refuse and walk away. I don't care who offered it. That is not for me.
But I have to live with my past.
I talked to an Owner of a truck and he is going to see what he can do. He even offered to possibly buy another truck. He is a machinist and had a truck for hauling race car. Well he decided that he could make some $$ putting it on the road and did just that. Well the truck isn't the nicest on the road, but it is well maintained. He makes sure it is legal so he is not stuck somewhere and miss any races. Well he purchased a better truck more suitable for OTR and parked this one. He and the driver had a fallen out and the truck has been sitting. So he said he will check into the insurance for me to drive either one. and if the company he has the 1 leased out to will not insure me, he said he will check on setting up the other for some regional runs. And If all goes well he will get another truck for OTR and keep the 1 for his Car hauler. Well anyways he has some people to interview for the job.
See so all I have to do is contact the right person. Not all doors will be slammed. I was 100% honest about my criminal history and he was still interested because of the dedication I have to this. I wasn't like" Hey Dude . Are you still looking for a driver?" I told him everything about myself and he told me about what he is looking for. And I am into the racing scene myself so it may turn out be the perfect opportunity for me.