User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Has anyone done this before (maybe I'm just crazy)

This past Sunday night I started to feel awful from having a cold. So on my way to Macon Ga I decided to stop and get some medicine at this Kroger grocery store; well this is when the trouble started. I decided to buy some Sudafed non drowsy. I took 2 tablets just like the package said on the way from Macon. Man this medicine made me sleepy like you wouldn't believe. I read the package and it said non drowsy but it sure made me very sleepy. I was in Tifton Ga before I clearly woke up and the only reason I say clearly because I saw bluelights flash before me (cop had a car stopped) and I jumped thinking I had crashed or something. I am very lucky I did not wreck, kill myself or someone else. I would not advise anyone to take medications that say non drowsy and then go and drive.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, there are some OTC meds that say "Daytime Non-Drowsy" that still make me drowsy or kind of spacey. I pretty much have to go old school and stick with aspirin/tylenol, a Vicks inhaler (it really wakes me up) and Halls couph drops. Anything with a decongestant has to wait for bedtime.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

Maybe you can take half the dose instead of the 2 pills. I have the same problem and any medication will make me sleepy, even non-drowsy. And for me, mixing caffeine like coffee, with a non-drowsy med. will make me spacey and my heart race a little. Because of my body weight, it's hard for me to take any OTC meds. Like Rebel D. said I try to wait it out til it's bed time.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Rookie

Your advice sounds good to me. You reminded me: A few years back I was in a big shopping center lot stacking snow after a storm. Running heavy equipment after taking over the counter meds, I had been sick for weeks before and thought I was ready to get back to work: That night seemed to never end. At least there I could stop and step out for some air. I try to avoid operating vehicles and equipment when taking anything. It's hard to do, there is always pressure to get the job done. Better to get the boss angry than get hurt or hurt someone else.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Medications affect different people in different ways. My wife can take Comtrex for a cold and it works well for her. If I take the exact same medicine, it helps me forget my cold and all my problems and everything is just all right with the world. You want to talk about space cadet city.

Then there was my No-Doz trip. A number of years back, I was leaving out of Dayton, OH at 11:00 at night and took a No-Doz, just like the pack said. Drove down to Greensboro, NC, absolutely zero issues. I wasn't wired or fried, I was pleasantly awake and alert. I'm about 30 minutes from home and starting to get a little drowsy and thinking "wow, this stuff is great! What a job it did!" Got home, laid down for a couple hours and then got up and went to work like normal. The side effects hit me at work...much like a train would hit a deer. I lost track of everything, including who I was. I have no idea how I got home, even, but I woke up 24 hours later, laying in the middle of the living room floor. Scared me half to death.

As medications typically affect me in adverse ways, I try to stay away from anything that doesn't say Advil or Tylenol on it.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Medications affect different people in different ways. My wife can take Comtrex for a cold and it works well for her. If I take the exact same medicine, it helps me forget my cold and all my problems and everything is just all right with the world. You want to talk about space cadet city.
Sometimes it isn't a bad thing :lol: :lol:, been there.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It's all just cheaper dope.

Man... the stuff we had back in the 60's! .......THAT was some gooood sheit!

Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Im usually get the cold or flu at least once a year, (otherwise Im never Ill) seems to always hit when Im on the road. I do not handle the symptoms of either very well at all. Got to self medicate. Sudafed, Tylenol, Contact etc. whatever it takes to "knock" the symptoms down so I can keep functioning. I always get the non-drowsey, never gives me any advise side effects.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I usually just take NyQuil after I've shut down at night when I'm really sick and don't have to wake up for over 10 hrs. During the day I pound water and juice and sneak a nap or two in.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Go figure this one out.

Nyquil nighttime keeps me awake.

Nyquil daytime puts my lights out.

Anyway, when I was on the road I would use Alka Seltzer Plus for colds. Never had any problems with it making me sleepy or keeping me awake at night.

Since as Twilight Flyer mentioned everyone is effected differently by medications I would suggest trying various medications at home to see how they effect you.