Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
Quote:
I'm going to Pepsi (inside connection) for a couple years to let my driving record clear out.... then off to a LTL carrier, or a respectable and reputable company none the less!
Out of curiosity as a former Pepsi driver, which position are you going to be taking?

Bulk delivery, bay delivery, etc?
Nice! Yeah I drove for Coca-Cola for 6 years, but at Pepsi I'm gonna go into Merchandising/Jockey. This will get me off the road for a couple years to allow my record to clear up. Position starts off as seasonal... :roll: Which is what they "have" to do per Teamsters at $11hr. Then after 90 days it jumps to $16.50..... and then $18.00 after a year!!! So it should more then hold me over..... :wink:
You stay completely off the road for two years and you will be back to square one as far as your cdl is concerned. You can forget about an ltl position.

WRONG!!! I'l still be "driving" as far as the books are concerned.... as a jockey, but Pepsi on reports driving, or non-driving positions... YES.... this has been throughly investigated and confirmed by many before my decision was made.
Sorry buddy but you are the one who is wrong here. Unless the vehicle you are driving is class A most companies will not consider it to be experience.
How can you tell me I'm wrong when I've PERSONALLY gone through all of this less then 8 months ago!!! And at Pepsi, if you would have read above, they ONLY have DRIVING and NON-DRIVING positions!!! And to jockey for them requires a Class A CDL w/ HAZMAT!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Made A Tough Decision Last Week

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
Quote:
I'm going to Pepsi (inside connection) for a couple years to let my driving record clear out.... then off to a LTL carrier, or a respectable and reputable company none the less!
Out of curiosity as a former Pepsi driver, which position are you going to be taking?

Bulk delivery, bay delivery, etc?
Nice! Yeah I drove for Coca-Cola for 6 years, but at Pepsi I'm gonna go into Merchandising/Jockey. This will get me off the road for a couple years to allow my record to clear up. Position starts off as seasonal... :roll: Which is what they "have" to do per Teamsters at $11hr. Then after 90 days it jumps to $16.50..... and then $18.00 after a year!!! So it should more then hold me over..... :wink:
You stay completely off the road for two years and you will be back to square one as far as your cdl is concerned. You can forget about an ltl position.

WRONG!!! I'l still be "driving" as far as the books are concerned.... as a jockey, but Pepsi on reports driving, or non-driving positions... YES.... this has been throughly investigated and confirmed by many before my decision was made.
Sorry buddy but you are the one who is wrong here. Unless the vehicle you are driving is class A most companies will not consider it to be experience.
How can you tell me I'm wrong when I've PERSONALLY gone through all of this less then 8 months ago!!! And at Pepsi, if you would have read above, they ONLY have DRIVING and NON-DRIVING positions!!! And to jockey for them requires a Class A CDL w/ HAZMAT!!!!!
When you say jockeying what exactly do you mean? I interpreted it as being a yard jockey which to my knowledge is not recognized as being driving experience by anybody.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Made A Tough Decision Last Week

Quote:
When you say jockeying what exactly do you mean? I interpreted it as being a yard jockey which to my knowledge is not recognized as being driving experience by anybody.

Thats exactly what I mean. However at this distribution center, they have several facilities, production plant, ect.... so your not in a little yard with 20 trailers, haha! You go facility to facility and arrange bulk/sideload trailers. And MANY other odd jobs that require a CDL A because your on the street.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Board Icon

Karnajj, I 've seen several instances where a yard jockey has gone ad gotten a job with an OTR company. I know of one personally who got hired on at Wal-Mart after being a yard jockey for his entire adult life to that point. They did not count the years as 1 to 1 but he had enough to qualify on the experience part. They asked if he could learn a logbook, gave him a quick course and sent him on his way. He ran with Wal-Mart until he retired.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Karnajj, I 've seen several instances where a yard jockey has gone ad gotten a job with an OTR company. I know of one personally who got hired on at Wal-Mart after being a yard jockey for his entire adult life to that point. They did not count the years as 1 to 1 but he had enough to qualify on the experience part. They asked if he could learn a logbook, gave him a quick course and sent him on his way. He ran with Wal-Mart until he retired.
Now had I taken a warehouse job to do assembly work for 2 years, YES, it would be hard for me to get a truckin job without maybe a refresher course.... or company road test at the least! But I WILL be subject to FMCSR's and it WILL be reported as a driving position!!! I will be moving all vehicles and trailers from area to area.... facility to facility.... yard to yard.... common jockey stuff. They said I may also be training other employee's on their CDL. You know.... get em prepped for the test with manuverability and knowledge... :wink:
Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

That's all news to me. There was a guy at orientation with me that had been driving a flatbed day cab for 8 years locally who still had to do the 8 weeks training program. I myself had to do a refresher course after driving locally for 3 years because they said I had no recent experience.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

With all that big money you said you were making why are you leaving.
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...r=asc&start=15

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
With all that big money you said you were making why are you leaving.
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...r=asc&start=15
Read the initial post..... :wink: Theres a TON of other reasons.... not limited to them forcing my hand to run illegal on a consistent basis. I'd crash the server here if I'd go into much detail.... or even name a few scenarios!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That's all news to me. There was a guy at orientation with me that had been driving a flatbed day cab for 8 years locally who still had to do the 8 weeks training program. I myself had to do a refresher course after driving locally for 3 years because they said I had no recent experience.
Local experience does not count towards OTR. I have nine years of local experience and if I would ever(not likely) decied to try OTR, they would make me go with a trainer. Local experience does however count towards other local jobs(LTL).

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Local experience does not count towards OTR. I have nine years of local experience and if I would ever(not likely) decied to try OTR, they would make me go with a trainer. Local experience does however count towards other local jobs(LTL).
WEIRD??? How come Roehl, Advantage Tanks Lines, JTC Logistics, FedEx Linehaul, and MANY others approved me and counted EVERY year of my experience??? I was in the 5+ years at each and EVERY one!!! Problem is I couldn't and wouldn't EVER go OTR due to I have 3 small children, I like my free-time, and oh..... actually makin money to speak of, haha! Must just be me..... or the fact others are going off of "hear-say"??? Experience with this holds more weight with me..... nothing personal against you or any of the others.... :wink:

On another note..... WHY would ANYONE choose a OTR job VS. local??? Your home every night, make more money, and actually have a life!!! I know there are those select people that love adventure, time alone, and are fianancially (sp?) set. Otherwise.... its a NO BRAINER.... or is there somethin I'm missing here? Personally I've NEVER went OTR, been in a tractor-trailer over 6 years, and never made less then $700 a week.... and I missed a day that week... :lol: Oh, and PLEASE... don't challenge me..... because my reputation on this forum will prove I'll dig up each and every damn check stub back to 2002 when I got my CDL and post em... 8)