User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flatbed load secure?

I'm new at flatbeddin' and beginning to think it was a mistake. Of my many concerns, load security seems to be the biggest. Only because I don't like the idea of the load hitting me from behind and pushing me through the engine.

I don't think my truck has enough straps, just 12. I have seen 24 on a Hart truck. My typical load is lumber.
4 tiers high, about 13 feet overall, and 3 or 4 rows from front to back.
The way I read the rules is,
One strap every 5 feet, and straps over the middle of the load if it's higher than 6 feet.

Most of my loads would require 4 straps per 'stack' for the first two tiers and then 4 more over all 4.
I think that may be more than enough, but I only have 12 straps and don't think I can make it legal.

On a load of shingles, I have 14 pairs of pallets front to back.
Each pair weighs over 6400 pounds. My straps are rated at 5600 pounds, but I only have enough for one strap per pair plus a couple for each end.
Am I too concerned about this small discrepancy? It seems like everyone else only puts one strap over shingles. I've even seen loads going down the road with NO straps over the middle rows!

And one more. How do you keep steel from moving? It seems like there is no way to get a chain around some loads that would keep it from moving in an emergency situation. Even if someone cuts me off and I have to stab the brakes pretty good, the load always moves a little.
http://eastcoasthoppers.com/
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Flatbed load secure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikinTrucka
I'm new at flatbeddin' and beginning to think it was a mistake. Of my many concerns, load security seems to be the biggest. Only because I don't like the idea of the load hitting me from behind and pushing me through the engine.
Securement that specifically prevents forward movement are X-strap, X-chain, bulkhead and choke strap.

Quote:
I don't think my truck has enough straps, just 12.
How many winches do you have? You may have to take it upon yourself to request more, accumulate more or even buy more.

Quote:
I have seen 24 on a Hart truck. My typical load is lumber.
4 tiers high, about 13 feet overall, and 3 or 4 rows from front to back.
The way I read the rules is,
One strap every 5 feet, and straps over the middle of the load if it's higher than 6 feet.

Most of my loads would require 4 straps per 'stack' for the first two tiers and then 4 more over all 4.
I think that may be more than enough, but I only have 12 straps and don't think I can make it legal.
Typically, I would secure the front row and the last row the best. The center rows are contained by the front and the back, especially forward and rearward movement and somewhat side to side movement. If it is flat lumber it tends not to move so much. Use of lumber tarps will add a little securement. If it is short boards that tend to walk on you, tarping is mandatory.

Quote:
On a load of shingles, I have 14 pairs of pallets front to back.
Each pair weighs over 6400 pounds. My straps are rated at 5600 pounds, but I only have enough for one strap per pair plus a couple for each end.
Am I too concerned about this small discrepancy? It seems like everyone else only puts one strap over shingles. I've even seen loads going down the road with NO straps over the middle rows!

Something is wrong as you are describing it, or as I am understanding it. You have described 89,600 lbs. of shingle. You are overweight. Do you mean 14 individual pallets or 7 pair? That would be 44,800 lbs. a more typical load. Two straps in the front and rear and one each on the middle rows. X-strap the front to stop forward movement.

Quote:
And one more. How do you keep steel from moving? It seems like there is no way to get a chain around some loads that would keep it from moving in an emergency situation. Even if someone cuts me off and I have to stab the brakes pretty good, the load always moves a little.
You would have to describe the steel load.

Sheet steel, X-chain the front, maybe the rear. Chain a minimum of the front, middle and rear. Use 4" straps. Chains, usually allow some movement, the straps do not.

Angle iron, pipe, rod, etc. you need to build a bulkhead. Then chain and strap.

Greasy pipe or rod, build a bulkhead and use choke (cinch) straps.

Secure your load so it doesn't have a chance to start moving. Once it starts moving it is harder to stop it.

You have to drive your load. If it is one that is prone to movement, drive slower, brake well in advance of your stop, take turns and corners very slowly and carefully. You have to drive very defensively.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 AM

OK, thanks for the help.
Now I am really going to show my ignorance.
*What is X-chain?
*What do you mean: "build a bulkhead"? I assume you mean something other than the headache rack on the back of the sleeper.
Is this something I would do every time I need it, or something that is part of the trailer?
*What are choke (cinch) straps?
I really hate feeling this stupid. I have hauled so much for so many years, it seems like I would already know this, but what the hey, can't know it all..
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Example steel load: Those things that look like a big accordion to make a temporary dam or retaining wall. They come apart in approximately 2 foot wide by 35 feet long. 19 of them in a stack is about 5 feet high. I put a chain across the front and back at an angle so it crossed the end of the top few. That helped but I still had trouble keeping the middle ones from moving forward when I braked.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
OK, thanks for the help.
Sure, that is what this forum is all about. There will be others along shortly. They may improve upon my suggestions and give different ones of their own.

Quote:
Now I am really going to show my ignorance.
*What is X-chain?
Does this mean you know what a X-strap is? A X-chain is the same, just a chain. In case you don't, If you are looking at the load the strap or chain forms a X across the front of the load. With the strap, the hook end is close to the front of the load and the winch end (usually a 2" strap and winch are used) is secured so it makes a 45 degree angle. It is the same with a chain, the binder end makes the 45 degree angle.

Quote:
*What do you mean: "build a bulkhead"? I assume you mean something other than the headache rack on the back of the sleeper.
Is this something I would do every time I need it, or something that is part of the trailer?
You place four 4 x4's stacked then secured with a chain. A bulkhead is a wall. It is best that you build it before the load is placed upon the trailer, and have the loaders place the load so it is touching the bulkhead. Remember it is easier to keep a load from moving than it is to stop it once it starts moving. Sometimes, you have to build it after the load is on the trailer. Build it as close to the load as possible. A bulkhead higher than four high will not be as stable. You will build it everytime you need it.

Quote:
*What are choke (cinch) straps?
A choke strap, as it's name implies, tightens around the load you are securing. It is looped around the load forming a circle. It is tightened down and if the load shifts forward it tightens itself further. It is usually used on round stock, especially, greasy pipe or round bars.

Quote:
I really hate feeling this stupid. I have hauled so much for so many years, it seems like I would already know this, but what the hey, can't know it all..
Nobody know it all. It sounds like you learned a lot on your own without proper training. I had the benifit of going through TMC's securement class. I don't have a lot of experience, but I was trained properly. I am not saying I know it all, far from it, I continue to learn. One way, is to talk to other flatbedders. Ask for there help, opinion and just watch them. I do it all the time.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 AM

Here's a picture of a load that I don't think has enough straps.
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=127
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Example steel load: Those things that look like a big accordion to make a temporary dam or retaining wall. They come apart in approximately 2 foot wide by 35 feet long. 19 of them in a stack is about 5 feet high. I put a chain across the front and back at an angle so it crossed the end of the top few. That helped but I still had trouble keeping the middle ones from moving forward when I braked.
I have never hauled this type of load. What I would do, is stop at Home Depot or other such store, or even as the shipper if they have a piece of sheet lumber, plywood or whatever that you can place on the front of the load they X-chain it. If the rear, middle sections move, place one at the rear and X-chain it too. Depending on the weight, once the plywood covers the front, you may be able to X-strap it. Whichever makes it more secure.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 AM

How about this one? This picture shows one of three stacks/side, also known as a six pack. All of them moved about 6 inches ahead.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=128

Notice how much it moved when some a-hole cut in front of me than slammed on the brakes.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How about this one? This picture shows one of three stacks/side, also known as a six pack. All of them moved about 6 inches ahead.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=128

Notice how much it moved when some a-hole cut in front of me than slammed on the brakes.
X-straps would have prevent forward movement.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
*What is X-chain?*What are choke (cinch) straps?
Is this something I need to buy or do you mean to make an X with my straps or chain? Because all I have is 12- 4" straps, 8 chains with binders and a couple 2" ratchets straps.
Quote:
*What do you mean: "build a bulkhead"?
When you say 4X4, do you mean to stack up the 'dunage' I use under the lumber and secure it? Or do I need to get some other 4x4 wood?