User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My latest load was all different kinds of steel. Angle, flat, square, 10 to 50 feet long. I couldn't use a headboard because the 50' was hanging over both ends. So I put 7 chains around everything, that's at least 2 chains for each different piece. And wrapped a chain around the front end of the stuff in the middle. I wrapped a strap around the long square stuff, no sharp edges, and a couple more straps where it didn't look 100% rock solid. I tarped it and through 3 straps over the tarps to hold them and add just a tad bit more security.
I had two concerns with this load.
1- they young punk who loaded it, looked like he was high, set some of the steel on blocks that were shimmed up with little pieces of wood. I've had loads like this before, and the little sheet always wiggles out. (hence, the more than enough chains). It was like pulling teeth to get the stuff together with no gaps, and I had him move some stuff that just wasn't right, but after being there for 9 hours, I finally decided it was good enough! And it was, It went 850 miles without a snag.
2- A couple chains loosened up a bit, but I couldn't get to them under the tarp. I didn't want to take that friggin' tarp back off, so what do you do? Another driver suggested that I hit the chains to make sure they have 'set' and aren't holding on a link on the edge of some steel. I usually do, but in my haste, I must have missed a couple, or the steel still moved a bit.
PS, How do you keep the ends of the steel from ripping the tarps??
Chikin Trucka
http://eastcoasthoppers.com/
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM

You can put any type of edge protector on the corners and help with the tarps being torn.Nothing else put gray duct tape on the corners.When I drove for Maverick we carried canvas tarps to put over the steel and then the vinyl tarps.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikinTrucka
Common sense seems to be the biggest part of the job.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Rookie

You may also want to look at Cargo Securement on the FMCSA website and/or get a load securement manual fron JJ Keller.

Good luck,

Max
Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Regarding the steel bar load:

I dislike using chains only on bar like that as I feel that steel on steel doesn't give any grip to prevent it from sliding forward. I use many choke straps for that. The steel mill usually wants 4x4 dunnage placed on the trailer. I also roll out some straps flat on the deck. After the steel is loaded I throw both ends of the strap to the other side of the trailer. When completed this means that with the hook end is attached to one rub rail and the strap passes over the top of the load, back underneath the load, and then is hooked to the winch on the far side. If the steel starts to slide forward that action tightens the straps, and when you tighten the straps the bundles of bar are pressed together, combined with other straps or chains holding them down to the deck you get the most forward securement you can get without a bulkhead.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a simple steel bulkhead at the front of the trailer. If that 45,000 pounds of steel bar gets a 4 foot sliding start at this 200 pound steel plate, which do you think will win? Not that the back of your sleeper will be much better. Like Terry Lamar pointed out: A wooden 4x4 bulkhead stacked against the bar to prevent it from starting to slide is the appropriate choice. Of course this week hauling steel bar from Auburn NY back to Maine I only had ONE 4x4 left after using the others for dunnage, so that didn't work out so well.

TMC cuts up the old unrepairable tarps to give to us as padding tarps in sections usually about 8' by 8'. We use these to pad the ends of the bar, and in my case I use only the padding tarps for the ends and start my good tarps on the top to prevent damage.

With that steel bar the frequent load checks are necessary to actually do, not just touch the straps but test them with your bar. I stop a couple of times in the first 25 miles and can usually get another notch on several straps.

Now for x-straps on the lumber: This is really simple and is the only way to prevent forward movement. You can not prevent forward movement with straps holding a load DOWN. Take one of those two inch straps and hook itnear the front of the load. Bring the strap under the load to the front, then throw it up and over the top of the load towards the other side so it makes a slash mark accross the front of the load. Attach it at a natural angle, probably about 6 feet back from the front of the load depending on the height and width of the load. This way your strap is holding the load back, not just down. Repeat in the other direction to make an X accross the front of the load. This works with everything from Lumber to Shingles to Drywall. You may also use 4 inch straps if you have enough, but it takes more planning to leave a winch available in just the right spot. If I am short of straps I will always use at least ONE for forward securement, even if it means leaving something less desirably secured down. For examply with that plywood I might only use two straps over the top and use one to prevent forward movement instead.

Good luck with it, and if you see a TMC driver in Maine don't hesitate to ask us for clarification of this, It will likely either be Me, VonSeggern, or Dave from Manchester NH, and we are all pretty nice folks.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 02-02-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
Now for x-straps on the lumber: This is really simple and is the only way to prevent forward movement. You can not prevent forward movement with straps holding a load DOWN. Take one of those two inch straps and hook it near the front of the load. Repeat in the other direction to make an X accross the front of the load.
Do you really think that 2-two inch straps will hold back 48,000 pounds of lumber? I had a load of hardwood beams t'other day. I put chains accross the front like you say "X". And the stuff that wasn't directly behind the chain still walked forward a few inches. I think that's as good as it gets for that.

On steel, I had a load of pieces about one inch thick, 6 inch wide and several feet long. About 90 of them made a pile 2 feet high, 8 feet wide and 20 feet long. 40,000 pounds. A really nice, neat and not too heavy, load. I strapped it down and wrapped chains around the front (like you said to do with straps) so if it tried to move, it would tighten up. The edges were sharp enough to cut the straps if it moved, but the chain seemed to grab it pretty good. (the shipper said I couldn't use chains on it, but what the hey, he ain't drivin' it) It didn't move at all, but then again, nobody cut me off this time. Wutdaya thunk of that?
http://eastcoasthoppers.com/