User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Lying companies and their Recruiters

How do companies get away with promising new drivers the stars and the moon only to disappoint them with nothing they promised. If you promised someone one thing and gave them another how would your reputation suffer? I have not been burned by a recruiter. I was just wondering how other people get away with it.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

They get away with it , Because none of the sunshine is in Writing ...If you notice the only obligations that are in writing are what the company expects from the driver in terms of commitment/responsibility , But nothing concrete that the company must provide the driver as far as pay /benefits that the recruiter mentions while trying to sell you that used car they call an OTR trucking job . :wink:
Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Lying companies and their Recruiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
How do companies get away with promising new drivers the stars and the moon only to disappoint them with nothing they promised. If you promised someone one thing and gave them another how would your reputation suffer? I have not been burned by a recruiter. I was just wondering how other people get away with it.

they get away with it because for every person they upset screw over or lie to, their are 3 more lined up to take their place!

Most of the time you cant blame the recruiter. they are sales personal hired by the company to attract drivers. Its funny how these large companies will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on ads and recruiters to attract new drivers but fail to spend the money to keep drivers!

The company's that have happy drivers and low turn over don't advertise or have recruiters because they don't need them!

these mega carriers are stuck in the same rut as large corporations. they bring on fresh meat to get the job done but because it cost so much to bring in new people and train that they can't afford to pay well or keep people happy so they need more people. the cycle keeps going and getting bigger and worse until one day it becomes their own demise. the people at the top could care less though because they will walk away with their severance package and go find another company to run into the ground!

its called GREED!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

In reality...sorry to say, it's just as much the driver's fault as it is that of the recruiter.

Like anything else, it's buyer beware.

Drivers really fail to do the proper research, many are so anxious to get out there driving they fail to properly research a company. They don't talk to other drivers, people out there actually doing the work.

What I find is to talk to the NEW drivers hired on somewhere, no just the guys who have been somewhere for awhile, they are the ones that will tell you what's REALLY going on.

Always remember, recruiters are PAID to tell you what they think you want to hear! That's their JOB!!

So when considering a company to work for,& this applies to whether you are a company driver or a lease operator.... DO THE RESEARCH!!! Know what you are getting into BEFORE you start.

If you are going for the driver training programs really know what you are getting into, how much of a commitment they require, how much money you need to live, if & when you are getting paid & how much. Always remember .... it doesn't matter what the mileage rate is....if you don't get any miles you don't make any money!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I always laugh when I see this BS about recruiters and companies that "lie". The fact is that 99% of drivers (if not more) ask about three questions to a recruiter

1. How fast will the truck run?

2. How many pennies per mile?

3. What kind of truck will I drive?

Just like most people selling something, they are only going to volunteer the information that you request.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
In reality...sorry to say, it's just as much the driver's fault as it is that of the recruiter.
This is it in a nutshell. I did all the research I could do, but in the end went with a company that was not known for treating rook's well. Exp'd drivers even told me as much and I thought, "how can it be that bad?!?"

And I also thought that there were labor laws . . . or heck, some kind of laws that kept workers from being treated as poorly as new drivers. I think I committed assume-a-cide. :lol:
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgrove
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
This is it in a nutshell. I did all the research I could do, but in the end went with a company that was not known for treating rook's well. Exp'd drivers even told me as much and I thought, "how can it be that bad?!?"

And I also thought that there were labor laws . . . or heck, some kind of laws that kept workers from being treated as poorly as new drivers. I think I committed assume-a-cide. :lol:
Unfortunatley, if you actually READ the labour laws...most say EXCEPT transportation...meaning US...no wonder they think we are dumb! :lol: :lol: Most labour laws do NOT apply to truck drivers! Hours of work are regulated by federal law, there is NO provision for overtime, stat holidays, etc, REMEMBER that!

Defintion of assume...it makes an a$$ out of you & me! In this industry... there is ONE cardinal rule... NEVER assume anything!!!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

I forgot about question #4 & 5..

4. Can I take my 150 pound dog(s) with me?

5. Can I raise my new girlfriend's 3 kids in the truck?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

How 'bout this one, Fozzy?

"Can I take my Bengal Tiger with me?"

That beats the "I need a double bunk so I can take my fish aqaurium with me."

Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
How 'bout this one, Fozzy?

"Can I take my Bengal Tiger with me?"

That beats the "I need a double bunk so I can take my fish aqaurium with me."
By any chance, do you remember what company the guy was with? The one with the tiger?

A few years back, I was talking my dog for a walk. I rounded the back end of the trailer and......

When I got back to the truck, I grabbed the shower bag and got a shower. The next time I stopped to take the dog for walk, he REFUSED to go outside.

Even a half-grown tiger is a sight to behold when you don't expect it. A dead stop from 3 feet apart, and I don't have any idea what the guy with the leash was saying.

Also saw a guy with a monkey. Not a very big one, but really cute. It grabbed everything in my shirt pocket, and would rather bite than give it back.