User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hygine & Other Questions

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking here on & off for a year or two without posting much.

I can retire from my present job with a federal law enforcement agency in five years, and am considering trying Trucking as a new career. I have a few questions.

1. I have to bathe every day. How difficult and expensive is this on the road?

2. I have had a little back trouble dating back to a couple of high school wrestling duals. Just three or four compressed disks. Nothing that has required medication or surgery, just a regime of exercises and monthly chiropractor visits. How hard are these trucks on the driver's back & neck?

3. As a retired LEO I will be authorized by federal law to carry a concealed handgun in all states and US territories & possessions. What is the typical trucking company's policy on handguns in their trucks?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Hygine & Other Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankrearden2000
Greetings everyone. I've been lurking here on & off for a year or two without posting much.

I can retire from my present job with a federal law enforcement agency in five years, and am considering trying Trucking as a new career. I have a few questions.

It depends on many factors. There have been a few times when I was unable to shower. Sometimes you are caught away from a truck stop and you don't have that option. For those situations it is as good idea to have baby wipes along.

Quote:
2. I have had a little back trouble dating back to a couple of high school wrestling duals. Just three or four compressed disks. Nothing that has required medication or surgery, just a regime of exercises and monthly chiropractor visits. How hard are these trucks on the driver's back & neck?
The truck has never effected my back or neck one way or another. Someone with chronic back or neck problems will come along and give their take. Now, lifting tarps has effected my back. My FM gives my a pain in the rear all the time.

Quote:
3. As a retired LEO I will be authorized by federal law to carry a concealed handgun in all states and US territories & possessions. What is the typical trucking company's policy on handguns in their trucks?
Typically, they will not allow you to have one.

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If you plan well you can usually get a shower every day. There are times however that your day may stretch into a day and a half or two even. If you can not get a full blown shower every other day then you are doing something wrong. Many drivers who like to maintain a reasonable level of cleanliness will carry a gallon or two of water and some "baby" wipes with them to clean up on those occasions when things just never seem to go your way. As far as expense goes, all your major truck stop chains give shower credits when you fuel. "Purchase" 50-75 gallons or more and you earn a free shower which can be used at any of the chains stops.

Quote:
Trucks do not ride like a car, and they can be a bit rough on the back, but today's trucks are fairly comfortable. Most trucks any more have air ride suspensions as well as air ride seats which help a bunch.

Quote:
Most trucking companies have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to carrying weapons of any kind. Also many factories and warehouses have the same policy.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Is your need to bathe every day because of medical or religious reasons? Like others have said, If you Plan very well - you can do this. When you are with the trainer - Different Story. How much it costs, depends on where you are. I have seen them Free to as much as $10.00. I have also run across the ones where you can pay a towell deposit (usually around $5.00) and the shower is free.

Concerning the weapon - why do you want to carry one? Most companies have policies against it. Crossing the Canadian border is another issue with that.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Unless you positively absolutlely gotta drive a big truck, after retiring from that job...why would you move away from the field you know?
There are plenty of Oil and Chemical companies that would be willing to place you in their security offices, and I do not mean as a "gate guard".
Most of the "Major's" have a security staff that is made up of former law enforcement officers and fire department officers. These are the people that do internal reviews of company safety policy implementation, plant inspection's, and contractor training.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Quote:

Thanks!
Can,t you just carry a wee stick or something? Guns are a bit severe. We not like em over here :cry:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle
Is your need to bathe every day because of medical or religious reasons? Like others have said, If you Plan very well - you can do this. When you are with the trainer - Different Story. How much it costs, depends on where you are. I have seen them Free to as much as $10.00. I have also run across the ones where you can pay a towell deposit (usually around $5.00) and the shower is free.

Concerning the weapon - why do you want to carry one? Most companies have policies against it. Crossing the Canadian border is another issue with that.
My, my aren't we the nosey one.? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Uturn answered your questions very nicely. On the subject of showering.

Quote:
It depends on how hard you run. If I drive 10 1/2 hours I'm pretty damn beat and I take my shoes off and as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out for 8-9 hours. Some guys can function on as little as 4-5 hours of sleep every night. If I sleep for 9 hours and wake up, get my stuff together and go into the truckstop and have to wait an hour and fifteen mins. and then the shower takes 45-70 min. your 10-hour break has just become a 12 hour one.

Also skipping 1 day without showering is no big deal. Yes most of us if we had a job where we were home every night would shower/bathe everyday would. Going 3+ days without showering is unacceptable. Carry baby wipes and "spot-clean" if necessary, dry shave and put on deodorant as needed. And for god sakes brush your teeth, so many truckers have terrible oral hygiene, it's disgusting to be standing in line at the fuel desk and the guy next to you hasn't brushed his teeth in 6 months and his breath is floating around making me nauseated.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken
Uturn answered your questions very nicely. On the subject of showering.

Quote:
If I sleep for 9 hours and wake up, get my stuff together and go into the truckstop and have to wait an hour and fifteen mins. and then the shower takes 45-70 min. your 10-hour break has just become a 12 hour one.

10 Hours is the minimum break. Nothing wrong with taking 11, 12, or whatever you need. Something about a sh#t, shower, and shave in the morning that keeps me feeling like a man, versus a bum. If you consistently need 14 hours a day to do your job, then the system is flawed. 14 hour days also indicate a lot of fudging line 4 to line 1. Otherwise you burn your HOS in 5-days. Just my opinion and certainly not trying to pick a fight. Many people don't shower and shave on a daily basis. It is my daily routine. If I don't do it, I don't feel READY. Kind of like the routine a batter goes through between each pitch.

Also skipping 1 day without showering is no big deal. Yes most of us if we had a job where we were home every night would shower/bathe everyday would. Going 3+ days without showering is unacceptable. Carry baby wipes and "spot-clean" if necessary, dry shave and put on deodorant as needed. And for god sakes brush your teeth, so many truckers have terrible oral hygiene, it's disgusting to be standing in line at the fuel desk and the guy next to you hasn't brushed his teeth in 6 months and his breath is floating around making me nauseated.

Good advice. An electric razor is also a good investment. Baby wipes are a must. Even if you shower every morning, it will amaze you how much crud you pick up by lunch time. Don't use "smelly" deodorant, stick with anti-perspirants. And don't dump cheap cologne on yourself - you are the only person that likes the smell of that junk. Brushing your teeth a few times a day is pretty standard (except in WV - just kidding). A pack of gum doesn't hurt either - especially if you smoke, drink a lot of coffee, or eat lots of onions and garlic.

It is stunning how many total pigs are on the road. Grossly obese, their butt crack showing, hair a mess, and ZZ Top beards. It is just disgusting. If they don't care about themselves, then ...

"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.