User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Change of life

After over 30 years in manafacturing I am ready to make a change in life. The pressure of being responsible for as many as 600 people has taken its toll and is no longer attractive. So here I am at age 55 looking to get into trucking. I know nothing and have to start at the very beginning. I know the noob will get the junk runs and the $$$ will not be much to start. I am good with that. I just want to be responsible for me for a change.

So here I go. I have a friend that has driven for Pam Transport for 10 years and is very happy. I don't want to lease to start. Just drive until I get a handle on things. I have heard and read the horror stories of many companies that have great trucks but treat their drivers badly. I don't have a problem signing a contract to get my CDL paid for but just don't want a cotract with one of these lousy companies. So here is a simple question. Is PAM OK? Not perfect.... no one is. Just reesonable. If not who is? Educate me please.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member

You have a few companies like Prime and CR England that are considered real bottom feeders in the industry and then you have a few like CFI, Gordon, Roehl, and Crete that are considered among the top, especially for newbies and then the rest is more a pick your color of truck type thing.

No company is right for everyone. The best you can do is ask opinions about specific companies, try to talk to current drivers and make the decision of which one you think is best for you at this, or any given time in your career.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

I was in tool and die for 5 years and left due to permanent lay off and jobs going off shore.

I started with Schneider and am still with them. I have been with them a little over a year and I have been treated well by them.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Before you do OTR, I would suggest you try to get a piece of what it is really like. If there are any shadow programs or anything like that around where you live I would advise you to see what it's all about. Some people love OTR and love being away from home. Myself, I really don't like it. Your situation is different from mine. Do you have a wife or any attachments at home? If you do I would advise against going OTR. It can get really lonely out there.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Before you do OTR, I would suggest you try to get a piece of what it is really like.
Great advice
Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
You have a few companies like Prime and CR England that are considered real bottom feeders in the industry and then you have a few like CFI, Gordon, Roehl, and Crete that are considered among the top, especially for newbies and then the rest is more a pick your color of truck type thing.

No company is right for everyone. The best you can do is ask opinions about specific companies, try to talk to current drivers and make the decision of which one you think is best for you at this, or any given time in your career.
I did the same thing after 31 years in the Painters Union....All I can tell you,first hand,is to avoid Prime at all costs...5 months with them absolutely dispelled any romantic notions I'd ever had of OTR.....
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001

I did the same thing after 31 years in the Painters Union....All I can tell you,first hand,is to avoid Prime at all costs...5 months with them absolutely dispelled any romantic notions I'd ever had of OTR.....

I hit the wrong quote tab.....I meant to reply to King Arthur.......Sorry... :?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Default Re: Change of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur
After over 30 years in manafacturing I am ready to make a change in life. The pressure of being responsible for as many as 600 people has taken its toll and is no longer attractive. So here I am at age 55 looking to get into trucking. I know nothing and have to start at the very beginning. I know the noob will get the junk runs and the $$$ will not be much to start. I am good with that. I just want to be responsible for me for a change.

So here I go. I have a friend that has driven for Pam Transport for 10 years and is very happy. I don't want to lease to start. Just drive until I get a handle on things. I have heard and read the horror stories of many companies that have great trucks but treat their drivers badly. I don't have a problem signing a contract to get my CDL paid for but just don't want a cotract with one of these lousy companies. So here is a simple question. Is PAM OK? Not perfect.... no one is. Just reesonable. If not who is? Educate me please.

click on the video
Old 01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member

That's a great video.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Rookie
Default Subject

I have been in manufacturing for 40+ years and am turning 60 this March. I am burnt out on it also. I am an Engineer with a plastics company and had my own plastics engineering company for 25 years. It got impossible to run. Between competing with China, South Africa, and the rest of the world the government continues to make it harder for small business. Then on top of that everybody sues today when their product doesn’t succeed even if they went against your written advice. The last five years in business I lost most of what I had made in the previous 20 with law suits etc. I have worked for other companies for the last 4 years and doing business today has even become more difficult. I no longer wish to be a part of it. It was stressful enough before.

I am ready to try trucking. It is a big change but I am ready for change (as all the politicians are saying). I hope to work for another 10-15 years (I hope I can drive at 75 slumped down in the seat looking over the steering wheel).

I start school February 25th at Tennessee Tech @ Nashville.