LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Where do I go from here??

Where do I go from here??

This is the story:
I earned a CDL 14 months ago. I tried driving 8 months ago, but pulled out after a week with a trainer.
I have not worked otherwise in 17 months, living off of 401k money and drifting. My driving record is clean. I am 40 years old. My health is great. I have no criminal history. I have a pretty solid work history through 2006, but have not had good fortune since.

I basically have a CDL with next to no experience. I have no idea whether my little experience appears on a DAC Report. I am far removed from any kind of training and likely require at least a refresher. I have a huge gap in my employment history. Otherwise I am fine.

Where can I go to make a new start into this field? Who would hire me?

I appreciate your responses. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

You'll have issues getting on anywhere if you've been unemployed for that long. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Some companies are going to want you take a refresher CDL course before they will hire you. There are some though that may be willing to hire you on as a student and simply have you go through their on the job training and then upgrade you to a solo driver.

As far as finding a company who will do the latter your best bet is to start making phone calls to every company who hires students and talk to them. You second option is to go around to various web sites and start filling out applications and see who responds.

The short time you were with a trainer and working for what ever trucking company it was with you need to be sure to list it on your applications. I doubt there is anything in your DAC that would be problematic, but if you want to be sure see the top of the forum page for information about how to order a copy of your DAC employment file.

What you are going to need to do though is find some way to account for your employment gaps. This can be done by getting 2 or 3 friends, associates, etc (no family members) who know that you have been unemployed for that period of time (or any other in the last 3 years) and have them write a short letter attesting to this. They should have the letter notorized.

Beyond that and the first thing you need to do though is examine exactly why it is you quit after only one week and make sure that driving a truck in what ever capacity is what you really want to do. In a case like yours a second chance is not going to be too hard to find, but a third one will be.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 AM

Not sure I can tell you what you should do. But, I can tell you what I am going to do.

I am also 40. Got an early retirement from the military. I have a class B CDL. But, my current plan is to apply with Schneider in a few weeks. I want to do bulk chemical tankers. Everybody I have spoke to about Schneider and tankers have good words. But, they do say you have to be established and stable enough to handle the first few months. You dont make much at first, but you do well after 8 or 9 months.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Who is this Colts Fan imposter?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Actually it looks like he joined CAD about 6 months or so before you, but has not been very active.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Actually it looks like he joined CAD about 6 months or so before you, but has not been very active.
Thanks Larry. Good to meet fellow Colts fans though.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Board Regular

objjh, when I was at Maverick orientation, there was a fellow recruit that
was in the same situation, he had gotten his CDL several years before,
NEVER had a job in trucking and said that some companies wanted him to take a refresher course. He went to Maverick because they did not require it. He was hired ! As far as unemployment , all you need is a statement from someone unrelated that knows you . It has to be notorized . I did the same thing because I was self employeed. Maverick
faxed me the form .