User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default passports

does anyone know when you are going to need a passport to go into Canada, by land? I am going there for vacation in a few months and can't really find anything that gives exact dates on this.... They keep changing it. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Board Regular

As far as I know the only requirement is a birth certificate and a government issued photo I.D. for coming into Canada. The rules for coming into the USA are the same for now. They are expected to change sometime in 2009. That's the last I heard.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 AM
Board Regular

Yeah, just a drivers license and a birth certificate to get back into the US.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

According to United Van Lines, its This year as of Jan 1st. They were favoring it starting Jan 1st '07. I kept getting memos for the last 4 months about this. They says the birth certificate and license aren't enough now. My Dad ran Canadian fleet for the last 6 years and concurs.

Mexico only requires a d/l
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: passports

It takes 10-minutes to get one. Just go to a post office and be done with it. I think the FAST card is a rip off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird01
does anyone know when you are going to need a passport to go into Canada, by land? I am going there for vacation in a few months and can't really find anything that gives exact dates on this.... They keep changing it. Thanks in advance!
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Senior Board Member

It takes a little more than 10 minutes.

It takes more like weeks.

I had to go to Perry International and pay an extra $95 to get mine in 2 days in an expedited attempt to get me legit for last year's carribean cruise. It costs some money too, even if you do the conventional method. I think like $150.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin

I had to go to Perry International and pay an extra $95 to get mine in 2 days in an expedited attempt to get me legit for last year's carribean cruise. It costs some money too, even if you do the conventional method. I think like $150.

Check out http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html They have all the information you want to know about passports.

kc0iv
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I thought getting my passport would be easier than it was. I live a block away from my County Courthouse. That is where we go for a passport. To the County Clerks office. Well, I thought, all I was able to do was pick up the application there. I was born in the next County over (Grand Traverse), and needed to apply in that County for a copy of my Birth Certificate. No way I was going to send my original off with the hopes I'd ever see it again.

I also needed to get the dual passport photos, which would also be in Grand Traverse. Our local UPS Store does them. Went there for my photos. Finally back to the Grand Traverse County Courthouse...with everything I needed. They rejected the photos. Said too much light off my forehead. Apparently, they can not have light spots, or shadows on your face. They had a chart of examples. I swear to God it was better than my Driver's license photo.

Should have expected worse I guess. After all, this was a Government Bureaucracy and there are no more anal people cluttering a common area as any place else in the world.

Went back to The UPS Store, and they were insulted. Now, I'm apologizing for the stinking County Clerk, because I'm just hoping the UPS guy will put it behind him and just give me an Emmy Quality photo image of my mug. I give my best..."don't scare the baby" look and hope for the best. I care less how offended the UPS guy is...I just wanna get this over with and not have to come back a third time.

Okidocki then! Back to Grand Traverse County Clerk. Wait in line one more time. Great, my photo is okay.... The wandering eye and drool met acceptable parameters. Oh...but now they came up with a law that you can not file for a passport in the County you were born in. Hahahahahaaha... yer just being anal again...right? :? You couldn't have told me this 2 hours ago, the first time I was here with my last photo?

Trudge. Back to the County Clerk near my house. I am now completely lifeless and beaten.
They took my application, photos, and money. I stood there waiting for it. The Clerk looks up...you should see your Passport is a few months. I'm still empty and expecting some prostate exam without lube. The Clerk looks up...is there anything else I can do for you?

I just start to chuckle...no...no...I'm good...and I back away slowly to the door. Nothing happens...so I bolt down the hall. Two months later I got my passport.

I open it and thought I looked uglier than I remembered...but what the hell.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

If you plan on getting a passport I would start the application process as soon as possible.

Quote:

My daughter's passport expired and we had to go aboard on an emergency. banditscousin got off easy to get his in 2 days. I waited for weeks and had it expedited. I paid extra to get it to the passport office overnight and back to me overnight. I also ran into problems along the way and thought it wouldn't come in time. I spent about $200. This was in April. It's a real big hassle if you need it ASAP.

Here's a hint - put down that you need it sooner than you really do. Example, I needed mine by May 1. I put down we were flying out on April 25.

Roadhog-I sent in all original document and have never had a problem getting them back. I learned my lesson, keep everyone's passport up to date. It's the easiest form of ID to present, even when we have to fly domestic.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Senior Board Member

The date is now july 2009. It is not for entering canada, but rather coming back into the states.

If you participate in FAST, you will not need a passport as long as you're traveling under that program.