User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Lunker stated:
Quote:
Don't know when you spoke to these companies, but Interstate's policy says it's the driver's decision whether to chain and run or sit and wait it out. They also bragged how since they made it manditory mandatory that you chain IF you decide to run in warranted conditions, they've had zero accidents.
I spoke to them last year 2006 [July-October]. Perhaps they have changed their policy. I didn't really care except I drive for a carrier that stipulates that we chain to get out of "trouble" not chain to get into "trouble".

I dislike chaining but will do it. I don't watch the weather like other drivers because I figure if you have to go over the pass you have to go over the pass. I usually hear in enough time to get "mentally prepared" before getting there anyway. My policy is "why get all upset hours in advance when quite possibly by the time you get there the chain law may come down anyway." It usually works to just stay calm and not get excited. BTW, if you hit Eisenhower and Vail [Colorado I-70, West of Denver] between noon and two you will stand a good chance of not having to chain. Usually the sun has been out long enough & there has been enough traffic on 70 to not have to chain.

For those of you new drivers-there are usually people on the passes that will chain for you and follow you to take them off. They don't charge much so if you dread chaining make sure you take $50 or so with you so you can pay someone to chain for you. If your company won't reimburse you remember all expenses incurred while doing your job are writeoffs: food [think it's now $53 per day-(no receipts necessary) for each day we're out--quite a write off larger than the standard writeoff], clothing, any trucking supplies not reimbursed etc... So don't think you won't be able to write it off if you don't get reimbursed. Make sure you get a receipt so if the IRS audits you-you have a receipt. I was an Accountant so I'm not just shouting the shit!!!

DON'T LET ANY DRIVER MAKE YOU FEEL "SMALL" IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING IT. There's no sense in being macho and damaging equipment by chaining incorrectly. Only Billy Big Riggers will try to make you feel inconsequential for not wanting to chain. Most drivers out west say they "will park it if it needs to be chained." 8) :roll:
Old 12-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
It takes me about 5-10 minutes a tire with the bungies etc...[/color]

:
I get all my chains out ,and drape all my outside drive tires ,and then roll forward once get out make sure I went far enough ,and then tighten the chains then the trailer if needed then roll forwrd anout 20 feet and back ,and quickly retighten ,and apply bugees 2 per tire . this doesn't take longer than 25 minutes on a bad day if I'm motivated...the key is being motivated ...Being strong also help to set up quickly and effortlessly .
Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Rookie

Arrow's policy is if the chain law is in effect they do not run. You may only chain to get to a safe spot to shut down. I have been with them 3 months now and I am very happy with the company. 3,000+ miles a week and other then the a-hole trainer I had, no complaints.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

This whole attitude about not chaining is THE problem !

:roll: Too many "truckers" don't know how to chain, they just keep driving until they can't climb a hill... Normally they spin out on a hill ( and cause huge problems )because they are driving to slow at the bottom of the hill ( because they're not used to snow/ice covered roads, or the clouds of snow behind oncoming traffic )

I posted the pics on the other thread to show how easy it is to chain so roads don't get blocked by a "Non Chain-er Idiot"....

I rarely chain for highways, ( my challenges are off highway roads )sometimes I chain for the paved hills, but often I can manage with my fancy tires and experience... ( not to mention high H.P. and duel diff lockers ) :wink:

I haul 125,000 - 140,000 lbs. loads so I can't slow down, or stop behind someone that drives too ( careful ) or ( that doesn't want to chain ) :roll:

If you want to see Alaska, do it between May and October. :lol:

Chemical tankers chain all the time, and they never slide off the road from a surge :roll: SKY

Sizz, If you were as hot as you want us to believe, you wouldn't have to chain your own tires. ( might break a nail, or twist off a stiletto heel ) :shock:
Old 12-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: For those of you who DON'T chain up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
Who do you drive for?

Basically, I despise having to chain up. I don't feel comfortable driving with them on even though everyone says that I will get used to it. I want to run for a couple years with a company that is ok with drivers not chaining up and not giving the driver a service failure for doing so.

Who do you drive for?
Does your company want you to chain up, but your dispatcher let's you sit it out?

So far the only company I know of that wants you to park it if the chain law is in affect is Marten and that's one of the reasons why I want to drive for them.

Big Jeep on 44's and others who chain up, thanks, but don't give me a hard time, it's not for me!

Chris
We may have to chain this thread up, so it doesn't go off into the ditch.
I think Kona expected this was gonna spin out real quit... :lol:

Kona, I drive Reefer for a small family run outfit. They prefer us to sit, than to risk anything. They do not require us to chain, and they trust us to make the right decision. We go all lower 48 and Canada, and run year round. We carry chains, but we avoid using them by scheduling loads between storms, and do a lot of Floria and Texas runs through the winter. I run the mountains, and I have been able to reroute myself, or stay ahead of storms for the most part. I've chained up only to get out of a bad spot...never to go into one.

Check with smaller outfits. Mine for instance runs new to 4 year old equipment, and pay equal to the National companies, but we are all close as friends. I won't say family...because that would mean we all argue and hate each other. :P

Old 12-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I used to chain almost every night going from CA - OR and then pulling propane into Truckee every week. It was part of the job then and all the drivers doing the same runs in the same areas felt the same way. Chaining is not a huge bunch of fun, but it's not dangerous in any way. Clanking around with chains on is also not a huge pack of laughs.. but it's not the worst thing to ever happen to me. For the most part, you can chain up and be off the other side, unchained and off and running in a lot less time than sitting there in some lot or on the side of the highway with hundreds of other people. I spent a lot of time getting out of Trukee trying to get around all of the drivers who refused to run up the hill. I was sometimes back down to the bay area, reloaded took a break and back for another drop in Truckee before they moved. Other than the work and cold, I just do not understand the driver's aversion to chaining up for a couple of hours.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM

First of all... My comments were not directed at you Sizzle.

I lived in CO for 12 years, now I'm in Wyoming, and I spent the first 25 years of my life in Alaska so running in adverse weather is second nature. I haven't shut down in 12 years of driving, except when the roads have been closed of course.

I run dedicated WalMart out of Cheyenne, mostly to CO. The passes I have to deal with on a daily basis are Eisenhower, Vail, Rabbit Ears, Monarch, Wolf Creek, LaVeta, etc... I get to run one or more of those every day, seven days a week. 3 weeks ago I spent almost two days sitting in Gunnison because the East side of Monarch was closed due to multiple avalanches, I had to get down to Alamosa for my next drop, the only other roads out of Gunnison in that direction were closed too.

I've lost count of the number of times in the last month or so I've chained to get over the various passes, if I hadn't chained I would have had to sit until the pass was cleared of course. So instead of delivering and getting back to Cheyenne for another load the next day, I would have had 150 or so miles for any of those particular days, instead of the 5-600 I actually got, then had to work my way back the next day, losing even more miles.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
"Chemical tankers chain all the time, and they never slide off the road from a surge, SKY."
Not to be argumentative.... While up there they may chain up....which is possibly an absolute necessity due to the length of the winters....I have yet to see a "chemical tanker" chained up or even carrying chains down here. We have no chains, and our company policy is "no chains". 8) Suits me fine, because when I shut down due to "inclement weather"... I immediately go on the clock. 8)

I think that whether or not a "surge" could cause you to slide...would depend not only on the general conditions of the road surface....packed snow versus ice, and the specific gravity (weight per gallon) of the product in the tank, and what caused the sudden braking to occur. I'm pretty sure that 45,000 lbs of styrene or "elephant snot" surging and slamming the tank head could cause the tank to slide. I rather doubt that a "single" drag chain on a tank would prevent a slide in any direction.

Happy New Year!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Ooooops, double post!

Happy New Year!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member

I'll stay over here on the east coast where we don't even know what chains are, other than the type used to pull you out of a ditch.