User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Chaining

I left my company last year looking for the "perfect job". Guess what there isn't one. I decided to go back to my company because I knew that I would get a brand spanking new truck and I did. Along with some of the best benefits in the industry. [Only $150 deductible for Medical.] If I'm going to be out for weeks at a time I need a nice "place" to stay!!! I have terrible asthma and need a truck which is pet dander and smoke free.

The only two companies that I spoke to that said I had to chain were Interstate and May Company. That makes sense since both of them are located in the North West. I guess they wouldn't get their freight in and out without that stipulation.

Although, it's my understanding that once a driver claims that it isn't safe the company is not supposed to force someone to chain and move. I'm sure doing that a few times they'd catch on to your "little ploy"! 8) :roll:
Old 12-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

of course he could move to the east cost and stay east. No chaining east.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
I did orientation last week with a company that insists you must chain and run provided the roads are open ,And if you don't and the load is late they will charge you $500.00 for the late to be taken out of your check, And if you should slide off the road oer be involved in an accident they charge you the $1500.00 deductable for their insurance heck if you damage a tire they charge you $500.00 so if I slid on the ice ,and damaged the side wall I just spent $500.00 ...I laughed so hard I almost crapped my pants .

so when do you start?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Keep something in mind if you use the 'it's not safe' qualcomm message.

Now, first of all, if it truly isn't safe then you should stop until it is!

If there are chain laws and you just don't feel like chaining, so you decide to take a break and claim it isn't safe here is what your dispatcher is going to be doing...

To start with they will check the internet for the weather in your area, followed by a phone call to that states automated line to check road and travel conditions. Most of the areas where chain laws and bad weather would stop a truck have webcams now, so the dispatcher can pretty easily see what it looks like where you are, or at least very close to you. (yes, not all areas have this)

They will then start watching your companies trucks in your area to see how many are stopped and how many are running. For instance, if you have stopped and they check on all the other trucks and see that most of them are stopped as well you are good. But, if you have stopped and they see that the majority of the fleet is getting through the area ok, you'll get a service failure or worse.

If you really want to run the western states during the winter there are times when chaining makes more sense than stopping. There are many times that throwing iron and getting over the hill will keep you moving, but if you stop you'll be there for a few days waiting. Quite a few hills on major routes have chain laws in effect most of the time during the winter.

It only takes 15 to 20 minutes to chain up the tractor and throw a drag chain on the trailer. Do it right and don't drive like a moron and there won't be any problems.

If I stopped every time a chain law went into effect, or every time I saw a snow flake like some do, I'd be lucky to get 500 miles a week.

My opinion... stop whining, grow a set, and learn what it takes to drive in the winter.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Default Re: Chaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
The only two companies that I spoke to that said I had to chain were Interstate and May Company. That makes sense since both of them are located in the North West. I guess they wouldn't get their freight in and out without that stipulation.
Don't know when you spoke to these companies, but Interstate's policy says it's the driver's decision whether to chain and run or sit and wait it out. They also bragged how since they made it manditory that you chain IF you decide to run in warranted conditions, they've had zero accidents.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
"Chains"??? What are "chains"???

We do not chain up. Seems there is a distinct "prohibition" against chains on chemical tankers. Besides...since the tanks are "non-baffled"....chains are virtually "useless"....and would slide right off the road when the first "surge" hit you.

I never thought of that, but it makes sense, our company doesnt even own any chains. oh gee, what a shame...

Even when I pulled a box.... "I" was in charge of the truck, and the load was "mine"....if "I" declared the weather to be "unsafe"....the truck got parked. I really could care less about what a "dispatcher" had to say about the load moving. Truly didn't.

I have chained up in the past.... didn't like it, and generally only did it to get to a safe parking place.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I did orientation last week with a company that insists you must chain and run provided the roads are open ,And if you don't and the load is late they will charge you $500.00 for the late to be taken out of your check, And if you should slide off the road oer be involved in an accident they charge you the $1500.00 deductable for their insurance heck if you damage a tire they charge you $500.00 so if I slid on the ice ,and damaged the side wall I just spent $500.00 ...I laughed so hard I almost crapped my pants .

Uhhhh.... did you quit yet?!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
I know they would not be charging me a dime. As soon as they started talking that BS I would have been gone.

Yep ,but they are a120 truck company who claims to have the driver in mind ...Heck they charged a driver with truck abandonment when he quit , But he dropped the truck off at their terminal...WTF in 2 days of orientation the cops showed up a few times for wage disputes over wrongfully with held wages...after my termination at werner it's harder to get a job ,But this company just gave me the feeling like I could be commiting DAC suicide by working for them ...So run I did.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
I know they would not be charging me a dime. As soon as they started talking that BS I would have been gone.

Yep ,but they are a120 truck company who claims to have the driver in mind ...Heck they charged a driver with truck abandonment when he quit , But he dropped the truck off at their terminal...WTF in 2 days of orientation the cops showed up a few times for wage disputes over wrongfully with held wages...after my termination at werner it's harder to get a job ,But this company just gave me the feeling like I could be commiting DAC suicide by working for them ...So run I did.
might I ask what happened at Werner?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Board Regular

Silverwulf
Quote:
They will then start watching your companies trucks in your area to see how many are stopped and how many are running. For instance, if you have stopped and they check on all the other trucks and see that most of them are stopped as well you are good. But, if you have stopped and they see that the majority of the fleet is getting through the area ok, you'll get a service failure or worse. Well, first of all let me say that I have NEVER SHUT DOWN IN 40 MONTHS OF DRIVING. The first 21 months as a driver I hauled trucks to Canada for 19 of those months in ice and snow. Sometimes I bobtailed up there. So I'm definitely not the type of person to shut down arbitrarily.

If you really want to run the western states during the winter there are times when chaining makes more sense than stopping. There are many times that throwing iron and getting over the hill will keep you moving, but if you stop you'll be there for a few days waiting. Quite a few hills on major routes have chain laws in effect most of the time during the winter. I have never known any passes to stay closed for days. I live in Colorado-never seen it happen. They are too concerned here about getting the revenue in from the tourists who come skiing. Went over every major mountain pass out west: Donner, Cabbage, Eisenhower, Vail, I-5 through Oregon and Washington, Snoqualmie, etc... Where on earth do they close for days?!? It only takes 15 to 20 minutes to chain up the tractor and throw a drag chain on the trailer. Do it right and don't drive like a moron and there won't be any problems. You must be a much faster chainer than I am. It takes me about 5-10 minutes a tire with the bungies etc...

If I stopped every time a chain law went into effect, or every time I saw a snow flake like some do, I'd be lucky to get 500 miles a week. Wow, you must have been on different passes than I've been on. I have a friend whom/who is headquarterd in Sparks, NV [Reno-for those of you in the Mid West and East]. She diligently watches the weather and plans her trips accordingly. She had to chain for the first time in 8 years last year here in Denver when it had snowed for days. She had to chain to get out of the T.A. on 270. Hence, being stuck for days and driving 500 miles a week? UM... Do you do dedicated over Snoqualmie or what? To my knowledge she has never shut down due to the mountain passes either. UM!!!

My opinion... stop whining, grow a set, and learn what it takes to drive in the winter.Frankly, as a female I don't want to grow any. But thanks for your suggestion.
8) :roll: