User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys i thought it would be more difficult than that. I've been drivin a mixer for nine years we use the low gears all the time goin off road
Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin for broke
Wow i can see that is goin to take a while to get used . I've been drivin a 8 speed for the last 8 years, Pretty straight forward i'll be starting school next week to get my class a . Then i'll be going to Des Moines to start training with TMC that's why i was wanting to know about the 13 speed . Thanks for the info guys i really apreciate all your help .See ya on the road soon :lol:
if you been driving an 8 speed, you got it made.. same shift pattern, just split the top 4
all the 13's i've seem were 9 speed eaton fullers

r-hi
r-lo..1....3
...... 5....7
..........H
Lo....6....8-9 auto shift
Also if you splitter up and come back into LO you are now in the gear between 4th and 5th .

This is what all the Eaton 9spds with Auto 8-9 look like only diffence between the basic 9 a 13 and an 18 is the addition of the gears between the gears on the top and bottom aloowing you to split those gears for more gearing optins to keep the enginge in it's power curve making torque .
Old 12-29-2007, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

What is really a blast to drive, is a winch truck(oilfield version), with a 13 speed main tranny, and a browning 4-speed box behind it! Now..if that combination isn't frightening, nothing is!!
Way cooler than the old Macks with 5 & 4's.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Quote:
Wow i can see that is goin to take a while to get used . I've been drivin a 8 speed for the last 8 years, Pretty straight forward i'll be starting school next week to get my class a . Then i'll be going to Des Moines to start training with TMC that's why i was wanting to know about the 13 speed . Thanks for the info guys i really apreciate all your help .See ya on the road soon :lol:
if you been driving an 8 speed, you got it made.. same shift pattern, just split the top 4

r-hi
r-lo..1....3
...... 5....7
..........H

This is what all the Eaton 9spds with Auto 8-9 look like only diffence between the basic 9 a 13 and an 18 is the addition of the gears between the gears on the top and bottom aloowing you to split those gears for more gearing optins to keep the enginge in it's power curve making torque .

most companies dont have those, they just have regular 13 speeds. anyway, what ever they have, if you can drive, you can learn how to shift it. it's all in the timing..
we have ex werner trucks and the auto shift is unhooked, that sure makes it nicer in my opinion. by the way, the werner trucks have al kinds of power when you have them un-neutered..
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

r-hi
r-lo..1....3
...... 5....7
..........H

most companies dont have those, they just have regular 13 speeds. anyway, what ever they have, if you can drive, you can learn how to shift it. it's all in the timing..
we have ex werner trucks and the auto shift is unhooked, that sure makes it nicer in my opinion. by the way, the werner trucks have al kinds of power when you have them un-neutered..

all pretty much C-15's now with some of the older ones being the occasional series 60 Detroit . I got lucky with one of T-600's I had as it was not overned as far RPM you could run it out to 2200 every gear , and run 65 in 7th I could pass nearly every Werner on grade with that truck I don't know why this truck was set up like that ,because I have never seen any others set like that in the fleet that were company trucks .
Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

r-hi
r-lo..1....3
...... 5....7
..........H

all pretty much C-15's now with some of the older ones being the occasional series 60 Detroit . I got lucky with one of T-600's I had as it was not overned as far RPM you could run it out to 2200 every gear , and run 65 in 7th I could pass nearly every Werner on grade with that truck I don't know why this truck was set up like that ,because I have never seen any others set like that in the fleet that were company trucks .

I got one of the old Petes (2000) they turned it up to a 550 and governed it at 84. I am really happy with it..
Old 12-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Default Reply -

What's funny is that the reverse gear actually has a Hi and Low mode. I thought reversing was supposed to be done as slowly as possible. hmm.. i never thought of it though, but as long as Im getting pay per mile, might as well go backwards as fast as possible :roll:
Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Reply -

Quote:
Originally Posted by line_transporter
What's funny is that the reverse gear actually has a Hi and Low mode. I thought reversing was supposed to be done as slowly as possible. hmm.. i never thought of it though, but as long as Im getting pay per mile, might as well go backwards as fast as possible :roll:

I don't beleive R-Hi was intended to be used with trailer , But it's great bobtail in a straight line while backing in an open area .
Old 12-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Reply -

Quote:
Originally Posted by line_transporter

Quote:
I don't beleive R-Hi was intended to be used with trailer , But it's great bobtail in a straight line while backing in an open area .
I've done it quite a bit, but I don't recommend it. The faster you go, the more wood chips you can shift backward when you slam on the brakes... 8)
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

It's awfully tough on the clutch when you try to get a truck with a 8LL, 9 , 10, 13, 15, or 18 speed moving in hi reverse, whether bobtail or not.

But I guess that wouldn't be a concern unless you:

A) Own the truck.

or

B) Have to pay for (or perform) clutch adjustments and replacements.