User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis in se pa
xroofer - no I am not waiting for another trainer. I don't want to be cooped up again with anyone for 10 days.

graymist - what went so wrong?
Just a small part actually. If you re- read the post the most of it is good. I am looking to find a way to be out there without the variable of someone who knows little to nothing deciding my schedule. This will not be with Roehl, Crete, or any other major carrier. Too much required BS with all of them.
I love the driving. love the lifestyle. Love the sound of that diesel humming down the road. I can easily sleep by it. The organizational BS is not to be tolerated. I will figure out another way. I am too much of an old independant knot head for my own good. Not giving up now hear you. Just searching out a different route.
respects,
Dennis in se pa
Am sorry to hear that. Having said that, I'm not too sure how you expect to continue in this profession without being at the mercy of the despatchers. Even as an owner op, they'd rule your destiny....unless you choose to take the independent route. The latter, though, is not an advisable option for a newbie like yourself ( no offence meant ), especially in an economy that's inching towards recession, the supply of trucks outstripping freight, and $100 oil.

BOL to you, whatever you decide.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
I actually enjoy sleeping over in the truck in truckstops.
That'll change in the future. Pissy smelling parking lots, whores, drug dealers, people backing into you and taking off while you're in the shower or asleep and my favorite - DIESEL FUMES!

Quote:
I don't mind being away from home for a week or two.
Must not have wife and kids? I hate being away 2-3 weeks at a time.

Quote:
I have met some really nice people at the truckstops - let them know you are a newbie and they literally bend over backwards to help you.
Really? I needed help chaining up to get over Snoqualmie because I've never chained before. I just wanted someone to show me how to do 1 tire. I got on the CB and you know what responses I got when I asked? "Shut up stupid!!" and "If you can't chain up you shouldn't be driving!" yeah real helpful truckers out there. Finally a Gordon driver showed me how. I figured as much as they run the NW they should be pros at it.

Just for all you guys who love to complain out there about truckers not helping one another, that is why. It's hard to help someone else when nobody gives a sht about you. But I realize that change starts with the man in the mirror so I try to help when I can.

Quote:
All in all truckers strike me as a good bunch of people now that I have spent some time among them as one.
You must not listen to channel 19 very much. :lol: (I don't either BTW)

Quote:
Having someone else decide where my life goes (known as a dispatcher) will be the end of this segment for me.
Later in this thread you mention Crete. AT least with Crete I hear they give you a selection of up to 3 loads to choose from which is pretty awesome for a company driver, I heard they pay their company drivers pretty good too. I have heard their hometime blows though. SO if hometime isnt an issue with you then I'd be asking them how many miles they turn and if they are insistant on giving you their truck number so they get a recruiting bonus, ask to see paystubs. :wink:

Quote:
I am going to have to look into the O/O or Independant Driver thing as my next step.
I'm an o/o and it's really hard right now. Even with a modest truck payment and decent fuel surcharge I still don't get alot of time at home with the family. You'll need a business plan as well as a large stack of cash to get going, especially if you want your own authority.

Quote:
Day 8
I am on my way home now. No way can I do another 10 days in EVO II in the same situation.
I think this is a huge mistake. Look how much time and money you invested in this. You say you love driving but don't want to be "cooped up with another trainer" and that's understandable, but realize that you wont have to do this again. Get your year in with Roehl, don't have any tickets or accidents (G.O.A.L.) and if you're unhappy - leave 'em! :wink: If you're committed to this job then suck it up soldier!!

Remember that the hardest part about trucking is adapting to the lifestyle. Is it possible that this isnt the right job for you?

Good luck, Dennis.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I have other things to do for income until I figure out how to make this 18 wheel thing work out my way. And for the sake of clarity it is not Roehl that was the problem, it is my realization that I cannot deal with inherent corporate complexities that come with driving for a large organization. [/u]
Old 01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Rookie

wow is all i can say!! dennis there is another segment to trucking!! its called expediting. and you only need a cargo van, i own a sprinter and was expediting thru a company called panther out of medina ohio...you are leased to them but you are a owner operator. no forced dispatch and home when you want...just drive home..you will average 1.00 a mile with fuel surcharge, but remember you get 18 miles a gallon, last year i grossed 65,000.00 was was off about 3 months due to military... i really really want to drive a big truck...but i cant see how i could make more money doing it... i left panther in november and switched companies because of the grass is greaner syndrome...but i will being going back to them soon....the only problem is you will only average maybe 1500 miles a week so there is a lot of sitting involved...plus there are no logs,no scales, and no truck stops unless thats what you want....just a thought if you like driving
Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Senior Board Member

HHHMMM! In my nearly 50 years I haven't found any way to make a living where I didn't have to answer to anybody. If you find it please share. :wink:

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Board Regular

Dennis,

R U quitting Roehl? Or ar u just looking for a way to get out of Evo 2?

I read Ur post as to Not wanting to go thru another 10 days. Is that correct?

If so, my advice would be stick it out!!! I did the Evo thing with Roehl back in 2005. Once U get Ur truck the world changes!!!

U cant quit now. U look like a loser. Whos gonna hire U because U cant hack 21 days of training!!!

We all gotta start somewhere!! Dont quit. If U need a trainer, let me know!!! I know 2 good trainers. One is a O/O and I learned lots from him.

Anyways, if my post is off let me know. If U need something else let me know. I dont work for em anymore but I still have a couple hookups.

Peace.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 PM

I am quitting the large corporation driving thing. That beast is offensive to me. Also, I knew I could not take 10 days in a truck with another person. I was hoping I was wrong. ANd then there would have been another 10 days. AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Not for me!
Time is not my enemy here. When I find what I am looking for I will let you know.
In the mean time it is back to GMAC Real Estate for awhile.
respects,
Dennis in se pa
Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
HHHMMM! In my nearly 50 years I haven't found any way to make a living where I didn't have to answer to anybody. If you find it please share. :wink:
:lol: You got that right RebelDarlin!!! :wink: I don't care what job you do, YOU ALWAYS HAVE A BOSS!!! :x
Old 01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I am quitting the large corporation driving thing. That beast is offensive to me. Also, I knew I could not take 10 days in a truck with another person. I was hoping I was wrong. ANd then there would have been another 10 days. AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Not for me!
Time is not my enemy here. When I find what I am looking for I will let you know.
In the mean time it is back to GMAC Real Estate for awhile.
respects,
Dennis in se pa
Unless you decide to buy your own truck and broker your own loads, you will have a DSR and others. Also you will have to be with a trainer for any company if you have no actual OTR experience. They will not consider 10 days enough experience to trust you with a truck on your own. Good luck Dennis.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Rookie

I joined this site just to comment on this entire post. I went thru Roehl school in October and just finished EVOIII. I had followed most of your post because I found them pretty cool. THen all of a sudden I see you quit. I went thru 4 trainers during my EVO's and one was a total freak. Yet I kept my eye on the end result which was to get my own truck. Now you could have a legit phobia and that would explain your sudden departure from Roehl. Now you may claim you owe no-one a explanation on why you quit but I would call that BS. You put your whole life out here for everyone to read and maintain this super trucker attitude the whole time. Then whammy you quit with very little vague explanation about authority. Roehl has pissed me off but we get tweeked by certain things. I would love a detailed reason why you quit and name names. If all you do is quit and run then what good are you at helping anyone else here.