User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
I agree with mbadriver. Good starting company but after a few years the pay just isn't there.

Glad to hear that training is going well. I wish you safe driving.

After 2 years with them, I am on my final week. No pay raise here at the 2 year mark because I believe in having a life inside this truck and my idle times are always over their allowed limit which at times is a bit low (like the heat in Oct in Texas...they only allow 15% for the month). I am being held at the .34 level if I stay with them going into my 3rd year.

So with good training from Roehl, I will take my experience elsewhere and let someone else benefit from them. When you get out in your truck be careful of your idle times or you won't get more than a penny raise your first year. You will loose your safety/performance raise of 2 cents all on the idle crap at the one year mark and no raises until you agree to their idle policies.

Soladad
I see what you are saying about not getting a pay raise and I agree with you. I will have to rethink my position if the same thing happens to me. If they want the idle time to be at a certain level they need to equip their trucks differently.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 PM

Hey Dennis the temps in MN will remind you quickly of Marshfield. Hope all is going well -
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Board Regular

My truck had a 12 volt fan! I was in Baton Rouge during August (98 and 98). It was lovely! Being a competitive person I would see how low I could get my idle %. Right about 4% - basically red lights, stop signs, scales, etc. Bunk heaters are great during the winter.

My biggest complaint was running holidays with no extra pay (gotta be there a year for paid holidays), and the crazy expensive health insurance. Family was like $80 something a week and had back breaking deductibles.

They use you. I guess that's to be expected. To make any money you got to be a trainer. Look around at your fellow classmates. How many of them to you want to be cooped up with for a month :wink:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whispers65233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
I agree with mbadriver. Good starting company but after a few years the pay just isn't there.

Glad to hear that training is going well. I wish you safe driving.

After 2 years with them, I am on my final week. No pay raise here at the 2 year mark because I believe in having a life inside this truck and my idle times are always over their allowed limit which at times is a bit low (like the heat in Oct in Texas...they only allow 15% for the month). I am being held at the .34 level if I stay with them going into my 3rd year.

So with good training from Roehl, I will take my experience elsewhere and let someone else benefit from them. When you get out in your truck be careful of your idle times or you won't get more than a penny raise your first year. You will loose your safety/performance raise of 2 cents all on the idle crap at the one year mark and no raises until you agree to their idle policies.

Soladad
I see what you are saying about not getting a pay raise and I agree with you. I will have to rethink my position if the same thing happens to me. If they want the idle time to be at a certain level they need to equip their trucks differently.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 PM

Thanks to all for your replies. I came here with the intent to stay. But if I need to move on a year from now I will.
I can say that Roehl has been a good place to start. I would recommend it to my best friend.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 PM

Day five - evening.

Sitting in Des Moines IA. 0 degrees. Truck has a diesel cab heater = good. Air card works good from here. Having fun. At a Pilot off 35 with about 6 other Roehl Drivers, and 250 other trucks - busy place.

Off to Joplin, MO tomorrow to drop off a full load (78,000 GVW) of paper. Truck has too much brakes when light, but too little when loaded. That's why we learn to down shift to brake!!!

I worked NY eve and day and don't care. It is not work if it is fun.

Getting to see this beautiful country and getting paid to do it.

Yes, I guess it will not be so special after awhile. But it is now, and that's all that matters to me.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Rookie

Glald you are enjoying yourself. I am looking to have a long relationship with Roehl as does my husband. But you always have to keep options open. We will be back on the road tomorrow after having our home time. We are headed to Mn. From there who knows. We plan on staying out for 3 weeks unless freight is extremely slow. Maybe we will run into each other.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Board Regular

I had all good intentions of staying with Roehl. Even had plans to train when I felt that I had reached the level of skills for myself that I had set. For the most part a decent company. There are those, like in any company, that you just can't deal with or understand their reasoning on things.

Would I return to them in the future? Would depend on pay. I understand their system and how they function. Hate to move out of my comfort zone but only time will tell if I return.

Enjoy your Evols or Evils as I call them. You will look back on them when you get out on your own.

Soladad
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Board Regular

I noticed the same thing with my truck at Roehl. A couple times it darn near skart me.

They have have a nice little section in your driver's manual on how to adjust your brakes. Yes, that is part of your job! What company wants you adjust the brakes on a truck? Easy it's the company that expects you to pay the ticket for brakes that are out of adjustment. Guess what is the most common mechanical write-up during a DOT Inspection?

Roehl would be a decent company, if they just weren't so chicken Sh!t. Oh that stuff drove me mad.

Hopefully, they will come to realize that treating drivers a little better is cheaper than an endless stream of satellite (even terrestrial!) radio and billboards advertisements.

I say this because my recruiter called last week because my separation notice came across her desk. She wanted to know what went wrong. Granted I quit in October and they didn't miss me until late December. Anyways, I told her it was the petty cheapness. I wish I could find a more articulate word of phrase to describe Roehl. I can't - just petty cheapness.

My main gripes with Roehls cheapness:

Wait a year to get a stinking paid holiday,
No pro-rating of quarterly bonuses (start january 2 and you aren't eligible for the 1st quarter bonus)
Roehl calling card. You can get better rates buying a card at a TRUCK STOP.
No Indiana Toll Card. Pound that wretched US 30, with the added benefit of keeping you off the OH TPK!
Medical Insurance. High rates, high deductibles and then they try to sell you them over priced riders (like they sell on late night tv).
Calling some grease monkey in Marshfield to get authorization to buy a wiper blade.

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade. For what you want to accomplish Roehl was an excellent choice. Really, your only choices were Roehl and Schneider. The others are scumsuckers that would have left you disenchanted with a mountain of debt.

The time will go quick. Plus you get some babysitting through your first winter - that isn't meant to be derogatory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis in se pa
Day five - evening.

Truck has too much brakes when light, but too little when loaded. That's why we learn to down shift to brake!!!
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[quote="whispers65233"][quote="Soladad"]I agree with mbadriver. Good starting company but after a few years the pay just isn't there.

being held at the .34 level if I stay with them going into my 3rd year.

When you get out in your truck be careful of your idle times or you won't get more than a penny raise your first year. You will loose your safety/performance raise of 2 cents all on the idle crap at the one year mark and no raises until you agree to their idle policies.

The reason your not getting a raise is not the idle time. Its the company driver trainers are cutting your throat by bringing in more cheaper drivers.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Board Regular

Oh I understand the business game. Root out those "undesirable" drivers who won't tow the line. Let's not try to keep the driver who makes sure freight is pick up and delivered on time, keeps safety in mind and keeps the truck, self and all the 4 wheelers around him/her safe, does not cause his/her DSR a lot of undue stress and helps maintain equipment (reports trailer repairs). We'll just get rid of them and put a student in the seat and save X cents. :roll:

What I fail to understand is that drivers are to live as hermits and basically camp out in their trucks. Life inside the tin can. Sure would be nice not to have to sit in the dark at night just so the cooler will run all night (keeping a week's worth of food from spoiling) especially in the winter when batteries don't hold charge as well. Or trying to get a solid night sleep in the summer in the heart of the south when you have to run air every night (Idle Aire is too expensive).

Ok highjacked this enough.. we are suppose to be hearing from Evol 1/2 student experience which can be a very positive experience. Keep the news coming Dennis about your training time. I had a very positive training period and still talk with my trainer on a regular basis. It is the foundation that you will build from as a solo driver.

Soladad