LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
Join the club, Coltsfan.

I quit driving OTR after 2 months, which is 1 week longer than you managed, before I had the same realization. I also had the same problems with it..being away from family and all that jazz.

Initially, you and I probably got into it for the same reasons, the promise of good money and jobs anywhere. In my case, I was bringing (or rather sending) home about $400 per week, which is usually less than or close to the same amount as working fast food.

Initially, I was going to spend 2 years OTR so that I could "qualify" for some of the better jobs, like fuel hauling, or LTL freight. After spending 2 months on the road, I could justify that kind of time investment for a job where I will plateau at a relatively modest income.

I decided that I would rather invest 2 years into something with double (and in some cases triple) the income of the average OTR driver. I decided to go back to school and am currently pursuing an Associate of Applied Science degree in Computer Science and CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator) certification.

After 2 years in school, the base salary for the average Network Administrator is close to $50k per year and with 5+ years experience it's close to $90k per year.

$50k per year to start, home at night and on the weekends, sitting in an office in front of a computer every day, every major holiday is paid time off, overtime after 40 hours. It's kind of a no-brainer when you look at the difference.

Coltsfan, I personally commend you for realizing that trucking wasn't for you and deciding to do something about it rather than sitting there bitching and moaning constantly.
Thanks aj, best of luck to you getting your degree. Sounds like a good deal.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Senior Board Member

I get it if it is not for you. To those you have made it there choice this song is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WUrd...eature=related

Hang in there. It is called work for a reason. This is just to encourage those who are still working at it. I completely understand those who found that it didn't meet their needs. I want my husband home as soon as possible and not one more day then needs be. Sometimes I cant sleep thinking about him and losing him( so I understand).
Old 12-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Senior Board Member

I've been driving for a living since May 2000......only gone OTR for 4 months out of that time. The rest is local.

It's just too much BS to be away from home for so long while you can make the same money at home doing local work.

Good luck.